Prospect Info: Sharks prospects info/discussion thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
He's a puck possession monster. Reminds me of Hertl in that regard. Good at using his size/hands to protect the puck. He's going to be a power goal scorer. If he can contribute 20 goals and be a physical presence, it will be a successful pick

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He plays a high octane game. Fast, physical, hard. Fits the current vision of who and what the Sharks want to be.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Would be nice if Timo can end up being the successor to like Marleau's role.

I'm kinda dreaming of how good a Meier-Hertl-Goldobin line would be if they all click.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
If and its a big if, but if Meier and Goldobin make the team out of camp, I'd like to see
Hertl-JT-Pavs
Donskoi-Couture-Meier
Marleau-Tierney-Goldobin

Could even put Meier with JT and Pavs if the team wants to transition Hertl back into a center role

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
With Hertl, Tierney, Meier, Goldobin and possibly Sorenson and Read... not to mention some of the other heralded prospects like LaBanc and Chartier - I'm excited about the future! As long as Jumbo can play for like 6 more years at this level...

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Last night was the best game I've seen Meier play in a while...he's been good on PP throughout the playoffs but disappears at time at evens. When he's engaged he's borderline unstoppable in that league. Problem is when his space gets limited he can tend to 'disengage'.

I think a tired London team helped RN control that game a bit & Parsons has been great in this tourney. Also great is Mitch Marner...he's just on a completely different level than everyone else on the ice. It's pretty ridiculous that he may end up having to play another year in the OHL.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Last night was the best game I've seen Meier play in a while...he's been good on PP throughout the playoffs but disappears at time at evens. When he's engaged he's borderline unstoppable in that league. Problem is when his space gets limited he can tend to 'disengage'.

I think a tired London team helped RN control that game a bit & Parsons has been great in this tourney. Also great is Mitch Marner...he's just on a completely different level than everyone else on the ice. It's pretty ridiculous that he may end up having to play another year in the OHL.

I know you bring it up a lot about his engagement level during games but hertl had the same issue even up with the big club. It's a learning process and I'd rather teach someone to skate harder shift to shift that has an elite toolbox than try to turn rod into a scoring forward.

Who knows if the coaches are even getting on him about it since he's producing so much and they are winning.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I know you bring it up a lot about his engagement level during games but hertl had the same issue even up with the big club. It's a learning process and I'd rather teach someone to skate harder shift to shift that has an elite toolbox than try to turn rod into a scoring forward.

Who knows if the coaches are even getting on him about it since he's producing so much and they are winning.

I didn't say it would be an issue going forward, just that it's been an issue this season including in the World Juniors.

After the 1st round of the Q playoffs Meier didn't produce all that much so his issues at even strength does tend to limit his scoring.

I have little doubt he'll get it figured out but for me it's not an issue that should just be ignored.

Edit: I also thought that it was worth noting Goldobin's lack of effort when it came to play outside of the offensive zone which a lot of people talked about. I don't see Meier's issues any differently, it's something that needs to be worked on. Goldobin has worked his butt off to improve his game, I expect Meier will do the same.

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
He's known for his shooting ability but he's an underrated passer.

This is the biggest positive for me from Meier this season. He would show little flashes of it here and there during the 2014/15 season but he has above average vision, hands and passing abilities.

That part of his game improving as much as it has over the past year is a very good sign going forward.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I think once Meier gets around the big team those tendencies will vanish. I think he tends to get complacent at his current level. He was up for Brandon and London and was a force.

Flididdle

Sep 24, 2015
Meier was great last night, he's got a lot of great skills. As a Sens fan pointed out earlier he could become a very special player. He does seem to have great awareness out there so I think he could be Pavelski like when it comes to continuing to improve year by year.

Next year will be interesting, he could probably setup w/ Pavs Thornton but Hertl is just ridiculous with those guys, or he could spend a year in AHL working on consistency or perhaps most interesting, just tell'em don't worry about stats and stick him on the 4th line, old school style. I think he could be effective as an NHL 4th liner. Just spitballing: nieto-zubrus-meier looks good to me. A good problem to have.

And oh man Marner is a dynamic talent, maybe even the 2nd most dynamic player from last years draft, and HF is practically obsessed with dynamic so it's no wonder he gets so much love on these boards. Will fun to see how he does in NHL.

note: Being more dynamic does not better make

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
You know it's nice to be able to say Meier may BE an NHL player next year, but they don't need him to be. If he forces himself on the roster, that's a really good thing.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You know it's nice to be able to say Meier may BE an NHL player next year, but they don't need him to be. If he forces himself on the roster, that's a really good thing.

I agree. I think there will be an open competition for 4 or 5 wing positions between Nieto, Wingels, Goldobin, Meier, Sorensen, Karlsson, Goodrow, Carpenter, etc. The best players in their current forms will take the spots.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If and its a big if, but if Meier and Goldobin make the team out of camp, I'd like to see
Hertl-JT-Pavs
Donskoi-Couture-Meier
Marleau-Tierney-Goldobin

Could even put Meier with JT and Pavs if the team wants to transition Hertl back into a center role

Meier - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Donskoi
Nieto - Hertl - Goldobin
Karlsson - Tierney - Ward

It'd be amazing if we could instead roll:

Meier - Thornton - Pavelski
Donskoi - Couture - Goldobin
Marleau - Hertl - Ward
Nieto - Tierney - Karlsson

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I agree. I think there will be an open competition for 4 or 5 wing positions between Nieto, Wingels, Goldobin, Meier, Sorensen, Karlsson, Goodrow, Carpenter, etc. The best players in their current forms will take the spots.

I see it a bit differently...a lot is going to depend on how the org views Hertl going forward.

My guess is, assuming Marleau is still in SJ, there will be 1 spot open in the top 9 that Sorensen, Meier & Goldobin will be fighting for. I don't see either Meier or Goldobin being given a spot on the 4th line even with the way DeBoer runs his forwards.

It's possible there will be 2 spots in the top 9 open but from what I've watched of Meier (and it's been a lot) he'd benefit from starting the season in the AHL. If he forces the coaches hand, great but I don't expect that to happen right away.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
No 1st or 3rd round picks this year, some of those forwards may allow them to get that 3rd rounder back.

I still think we trade our 2nd + Wingels to move up to the top of the 2nd or late 1st. Most likely I think is to Edmonton to swap with their 2nd rounder, since Wingels performed his best under The Koala, and is exactly the kind of player they need more of up there. I think I'd be fine with such a deal.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

This is true, but also I wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks created a roster spot with the intention of all but giving it to him. I mean, they essentially didn't pursue a defenseman at the beginning of last season because they wanted Mueller to step in. They also basically counted on Hertl to step in two years ago (although this was warranted; I watched a lot of Hertl during the lockout when he was playing in the Czech league and it was clear to me that his floor was 2nd liner and that he was NHL-ready).

I really really hope Meier pans out. I really do. While the Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski line is nearly unstoppable, I've always wanted Hertl to develop as a center and I think Meier will be capable of doing a lot of the things on that line that Hertl does right now. Meier is a big body, good hands, really strong, good shot. If he can adapt to protecting the puck against NHL defensemen quickly, I think he would be a great fit there as soon as next season. If not, he could slot on Couture and Donskoi's line, they'd be a great for for him too. Or he could play with Tierney on the third line, that would be a great fit too... Meier seems to be a well-rounded player whose skillset complements many current Sharks.

Adding Meier and Goldobin to a forward corps that already has Thornton, Pavelski, Marleau, Couture, Hertl, Donskoi, Tierney, and Ward... Man that's a ton of skill. I don't want to rush either if those guys, obviously, but as a hockey fan it's hard not to get giddy thinking about that.

The more I hear about Meier, the more he does seem to have the potential to be a true Marleau replacement, even if he's not a true peak-Marleau (2009-2011) replacement, right down to the streaky even strength scoring and occasional floating. :laugh:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
This is true, but also I wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks created a roster spot with the intention of all but giving it to him. I mean, they essentially didn't pursue a defenseman at the beginning of last season because they wanted Mueller to step in. They also basically counted on Hertl to step in two years ago (although this was warranted; I watched a lot of Hertl during the lockout when he was playing in the Czech league and it was clear to me that his floor was 2nd liner and that he was NHL-ready).

I really really hope Meier pans out. I really do. While the Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski line is nearly unstoppable, I've always wanted Hertl to develop as a center and I think Meier will be capable of doing a lot of the things on that line that Hertl does right now. Meier is a big body, good hands, really strong, good shot. If he can adapt to protecting the puck against NHL defensemen quickly, I think he would be a great fit there as soon as next season. If not, he could slot on Couture and Donskoi's line, they'd be a great for for him too. Or he could play with Tierney on the third line, that would be a great fit too... Meier seems to be a well-rounded player whose skillset complements many current Sharks.

Adding Meier and Goldobin to a forward corps that already has Thornton, Pavelski, Marleau, Couture, Hertl, Donskoi, Tierney, and Ward... Man that's a ton of skill. I don't want to rush either if those guys, obviously, but as a hockey fan it's hard not to get giddy thinking about that.

The more I hear about Meier, the more he does seem to have the potential to be a true Marleau replacement, even if he's not a true peak-Marleau (2009-2011) replacement, right down to the streaky even strength scoring and occasional floating. :laugh:

I'd really like to see Hertl moved to center as well and if that happens there could be two top 9 spots open, one pretty much tailor made for Meier.

Otherwise, I only see one spot available unless they move out a top 9 forward or injuries hit before the season starts.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd really like to see Hertl moved to center as well and if that happens there could be two top 9 spots open, one pretty much tailor made for Meier.

Otherwise, I only see one spot available unless they move out a top 9 forward or injuries hit before the season starts.

Depends on who you consider to be top-9. Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, Marleau, Hertl, Donskoi, and Ward are locked into top-9 spots. Guys like Tierney, Wingels, Nieto, and Karlsson have played top-9 and aren't out of place on a third line, but I would hesitate to call them top-9 in an ideal world. I really strongly believe Goldobin should be on the big team to start next season.

One of Wingels or Karlsson is gone, likely to recoup 2nd/3rd round picks. Seems to me there is room tone made for Meier if DW wants there to be.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
No 1st or 3rd round picks this year, some of those forwards may allow them to get that 3rd rounder back.

As of today.

Before the draft, the teams will know if there's an expansion draft next summer. I expect a number of teams to move some players to reduce the number they have to expose in any such draft (i.e., teams with three goalies, two who would have to be exposed).

DW has indicated that he plans to "restock" the cupboard with draft picks (like those he's given up in this and the next draft). I can well imagine 3+ pending UFAs/RFAs and/or rights to others who might be moved to make that happen.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
And Meier can do much of the same grit things that Wingels and Karlsson bring but a bigger body and more skill. I really like his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad