Prospect Info: Sharks prospects info/discussion thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Sadowy has fit in exceptionally well on a good Barrie team.

I figured his production would get a big bump, he hasn't disappointed.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Sadowy scores again on the PP. Labanc gets an assist. Under review but should count. Really nice tip-in.

It held up. Sadowy looked good on both goals. On the 1st one, the announcers were praising it profusely, calling it pro-level a few times. The 2nd one was a beautiful deflection. I also thought of Pavs, Joakim. LaBanc and Sadowy play really well together.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Sadowy has fit in exceptionally well on a good Barrie team.

I figured his production would get a big bump, he hasn't disappointed.

I've also been impressed. His tunnel vision really hinders his playmaking ability, but he's excelled now that he hasn't had to carry Saginaw's offense.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It'll be really cool if Labanc and Sadowy make for a solid duo for the next couple of years. Like from OHL -> AHL -> NHL.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
It'll be really cool if Labanc and Sadowy make for a solid duo for the next couple of years. Like from OHL -> AHL -> NHL.

My guess is they don't play together much once they turn pro...two very different styles of play, Lebanc will likely end up on a 'scoring' line while Sadowy is groomed more in a 'checking' role.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I wonder if they'l both be in the AHL next year. They ought to, right? LaBanc for sure.

Yep, Labanc is no longer eligible for juniors. Sadowy will likely start with the Cuda as well.

That's assuming they both get signed, of course. It's a little worrying that we've heard nothing so far.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yep, Labanc is no longer eligible for juniors. Sadowy will likely start with the Cuda as well.

That's assuming they both get signed, of course. It's a little worrying that we've heard nothing so far.

That is actually pretty common with Sharks. Sometimes they dont even announce these signings till after the season is over.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Labanc with 2 assists
Shadow with 2 goals and an assist
Vanier with a goal
Fitz with an assist

MegalodonOnIce

Dec 23, 2015
Great White North
Schoenborn with the GWG and his 37th point of the season. That, according to the WHL app, is a career high in points in 29 less games than last time. Also scoring at the highest PPG in his career.
Is this a product of a good Portland team or him being a good player? I can't watch the Portland games.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Schoenborn with the GWG and his 37th point of the season. That, according to the WHL app, is a career high in points in 29 less games than last time. Also scoring at the highest PPG in his career.
Is this a product of a good Portland team or him being a good player? I can't watch the Portland games.

It's a product of him being somewhat a good player and also being one of the older guys in the league. He always had offensive capabilities; he had 117 point in 63 games in midget and was one of the leading scorers in the league. He's been buried in the lineup until this season, so maybe it's him finally showing what he's capable of. I wouldn't attribute much of his success to his line mates, however. He's playing with a rookie in Glass. He's also playing with offensive spark plug Bukharts, but he was consistently productive before he even came to the Winterhawks. He's not producing as much as you would like, but he has been pretty consistent.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Sharks have until May 31 to sign (before they lose their rights).

Seems like March and April are when the prospect signings begin, historically for the Sharks (after the 3/4 season scouting reports come out and the Sharks have their scouting meetings; college teams that didn't make the "playoffs" end their season...).

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Just saw Labanc has 84 points in 43 games and he's by far the highest point producer on the team. A lot of people say he's skilled but his playstyle won't fly in the NHL. Is this true and when's a good ETA?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Just saw Labanc has 84 points in 43 games and he's by far the highest point producer on the team. A lot of people say he's skilled but his playstyle won't fly in the NHL. Is this true and when's a good ETA?

He's skilled, fast, and an excellent passer. He plays bigger than his size, but a lot of his inside cuts and retrievals along the wall wont work against NHL-strength players. He'll have to get stronger, but I could see him making the team in 2017-2018.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
He's skilled, fast, and an excellent passer. He plays bigger than his size, but a lot of his inside cuts and retrievals along the wall wont work against NHL-strength players. He'll have to get stronger, but I could see him making the team in 2017-2018.

Any upside to be a top 6 guy or is he more gonna be a skilled bottom 6er?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Any upside to be a top 6 guy or is he more gonna be a skilled bottom 6er?

I'd say middle 6 is his upside. I love what I see in him. I don't think he'll have a Joseph Blandisi impact right away, but becoming a 15g 20a guy certainly isn't out of the question, and it's definitely not his ceiling.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
I'd say middle 6 is his upside. I love what I see in him. I don't think he'll have a Joseph Blandisi impact right away, but becoming a 15g 20a guy certainly isn't out of the question, and it's definitely not his ceiling.

That's great to hear! Makes me feel better about the abysmal 2013 draft we had. Hopefully our 2015ers can continue to progress as well.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
My guess is they don't play together much once they turn pro...two very different styles of play, Lebanc will likely end up on a 'scoring' line while Sadowy is groomed more in a 'checking' role.

I see this said a lot. He seems to be pigeon-holed into this every time I read something about him on HF, like there's a glass ceiling. Can I ask why?

He's been better than a PPG player in the OHL for 2 seasons now, with nearly 100 career goals in around 170 games and most of that came on a poor team, right?

I know OHL stats aren't everything, but is there a reason his 'top 6' ability being seemingly ruled out? Is it just because he plays two ways so we presume he's got more of a checking role or is there something else precluding him from that discussion? Is it his skating?

It seems to me that many of our non-PP lines now are made up of 2 skilled guys and then that +1 who does the hustle and can chip in a goal or two. Karlsson strikes me as that kind of guy and he's played plenty in the top 6, so why can't Sadowy? If he's got a nose for the dirty areas, works hard and can score, couldn't he play that role up in the top 6?

I see a 3rd round pick producing consistently right now. I am genuinely confused why he seems to be the less-creditworthy prospect while Labanc at 5'11'' and 180lbs seems to be more highly regarded about his NHL future. I will admit I don't see either play that much but if we're talking about measurables, I'd have presumed Labanc to be more of a risky transition?

Not being faceitious. Genuinely interested in the discussion on this guy.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I see this said a lot. He seems to be pigeon-holed into this every time I read something about him on HF, like there's a glass ceiling. Can I ask why?

He's been better than a PPG player in the OHL for 2 seasons now, with nearly 100 career goals in around 170 games and most of that came on a poor team, right?

I know OHL stats aren't everything, but is there a reason his 'top 6' ability being seemingly ruled out? Is it just because he plays two ways so we presume he's got more of a checking role or is there something else precluding him from that discussion? Is it his skating?

It seems to me that many of our non-PP lines now are made up of 2 skilled guys and then that +1 who does the hustle and can chip in a goal or two. Karlsson strikes me as that kind of guy and he's played plenty in the top 6, so why can't Sadowy? If he's got a nose for the dirty areas, works hard and can score, couldn't he play that role up in the top 6?

I see a 3rd round pick producing consistently right now. I am genuinely confused why he seems to be the less-creditworthy prospect while Labanc at 5'11'' and 180lbs seems to be more highly regarded about his NHL future. I will admit I don't see either play that much but if we're talking about measurables, I'd have presumed Labanc to be more of a risky transition?

Not being faceitious. Genuinely interested in the discussion on this guy.

I'd say Sadowy's skating is average (at best) and outside of being very good at scoring "dirty" goals his offensive game is a bit lacking (puck skills, passing, creativity, etc.) so he's not a guy that's going to create much offense.

Sadowy can play a bit of an agitating game, he's strong on the forecheck & in battles, a majority of his goals are scored within about 10 feet of the net, he's very good defensively & very smart.

Lebanc's puck skills, playmaking abilities, shot, vision & skating are all much better than Sadowy's which is why I'd say Lebanc could be a middle 6 guy.

I don't consider a guy like Karlsson a top 6 forward. Yes, he can fill in in the top 6 in a complementary role at times and not look too out of place but on his own, to me he's a 3rd liner.

It's possible Sadowy can be a complementary top 6 guy but considering his skillset my guess is the org will look for him to grow into an energy guy with some scoring pop that can kill penalties & maybe be a net front guy on the PP.

If you asked me, as of right now, which of Lebanc & Sadowy is more likely to carve out a NHL career I'd say Sadowy but Lebanc has the higher ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad