Prospect Info: Sharks prospects info/discussion thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
See, I don't understand how young players are scouted. How can Chartier be the #1 goal scorer in his league and not be ready next year, but other prospects can be expected to play the year they are drafted. I understand there are other things, but the difference just seems so large.

That's because a lot of time it is.

There's a lot more to a prospect than production. Some things that scouts look at are skating/footwork, physical play, off the puck play, ability to understand game situations, usage, how they're producing, quality of teammates, quality of competition, decision making, effort/compete level, etc.

It's not uncommon at all for players that are really productive in Juniors to not be able to translate that play to the pros and seeing as Chartier started playing like this once he was moved next to Merkely (about 60 games or so) it's too early to tell if he'll be one of those players or not.

I don't think he's physically ready for the pro game and while things have come pretty easy for him so far this year I'd like to see how the rest of the season plays out. I'd also still really like to see him away from Merkley to see if he plays as well w/o an elite winger/playmaker next to him.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't think he's physically ready for the pro game and while things have come pretty easy for him so far this year I'd like to see how the rest of the season plays out. I'd also still really like to see him away from Merkley to see if he plays as well w/o an elite winger/playmaker next to him.

See, this is another thing I don't understand. I get that it would be a bit different, but Chartier would be playing with comparatively "elite" players in the NHL, so that doesn't quite add up for me. I know for example that sometimes athletes play better with and against tougher competition than without.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing the judgements so much as trying to understand. I do sometimes think that things are political and "just the way things are done" more so than strictly based on talent or potential and that group think may take over sometimes. :dunno:

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Thought I'd give an update on Labanc since I see him play live every week. He's been red hot lately as you know with a 14 game point streak, and using his shot a lot more lately, which is probably one of the best in the league. He's also probably one of our best penalty killers because of how hard he goes after the puck, and he's great on the powerplay as well. I keep seeing constant improvement in all aspects of his game.

I think the sharks got a steal with him. Also might want to check out his shorty against the Rangers last night on the OHL website.

Lastly, here's an article on him written last week:
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/20...eft-off-us-world-junior-selection-camp-roster

Thanks for the information! Always nice to hear from people who get to watch the prospects.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
See, this is another thing I don't understand. I get that it would be a bit different, but Chartier would be playing with comparatively "elite" players in the NHL, so that doesn't quite add up for me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing the judgements so much as trying to understand. I do sometimes think that things are political and "just the way things are done", more so than strictly based on talent or potential.

If they stuck him next to Thornton, sure but he'd also be playing against elite players and elite goaltending (beyond elite compared to what you normally get in Juniors).

Look at a player like Drouin who is insanely talented, TB kept him in the Q for an additional year after his draft and now that he's in the NHL he's struggling a bit against bigger, faster, stronger, better players. This is a hard, hard league to play in.

You should know by now that I'm all for giving young players an opportunity but I'm 100% against putting players in the NHL if they're not ready.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It appears Chartier made it past the first round of cuts.

2 more forwards will be cut, and he is one of the ones on the bubble.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Looks like Chartier made it through the first round of cuts, I'm surprised but good for him!!

TC will make 3 more cuts (1 d-man, 2 F's) later in the week.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
They have 15 forwards/8 d/2 goalies and they need to cut 3 more to get to 22 and they are not going to go with 6 on d.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
If they stuck him next to Thornton, sure but he'd also be playing against elite players and elite goaltending (beyond elite compared to what you normally get in Juniors).

Look at a player like Drouin who is insanely talented, TB kept him in the Q for an additional year after his draft and now that he's in the NHL he's struggling a bit against bigger, faster, stronger, better players. This is a hard, hard league to play in.

You should know by now that I'm all for giving young players an opportunity but I'm 100% against putting players in the NHL if they're not ready.

Fair enough. 3 years just seems like a long time for someone tearing it up like Charier is right now. I was for Mueller coming up this year and obviously against Goldy. I hope he comes up next year, but I won't cry if he doesn't. I'm glad he's playing overseas though. I hate this minor league deal the NHL made.

Looks like Chartier made it through the first round of cuts, I'm surprised but good for him!!

TC will make 3 more cuts (1 d-man, 2 F's) later in the week.

I'm gonna credit my awesome gif :sarcasm:

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
They already have a couple of natural centers playing on the wing so I doubt it.

It sounded like Chartier had a pretty good game yesterday but wasn't as noticeable today (skated between Crouse & Fabbri to start). Also sounds like Gauthier had a very good showing (and I guess Dickinson not so much).

According to Bob McKenzie the first round of cuts will come this afternoon.

Bob McKenzie partially disagrees via Twitter.

"@TSNBobMcKenzie: "@NightmareOnHelm: @TSNBobMcKenzie Will Chartier make the team?" Chartier wasn't noticeable in either game here for me."

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
TC has moved Chartier to RW today and have him skating w/ Dal Colle at RW and Dickinson at C.

I don't know that moving to wing bodes to well for Chartier but if he was brought in for his goal scoring playing wing could help him.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
If anyone is interested it looks like all of the US WJC pre-tourney games will be streamed live. There aren't any SJ prospects on the US roster but they will be playing a game vs. BU (O'Regan) and Team Sweden (Bergman).

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/news_article/show/457770?referrer_id=701370

It's also a chance to watch some high end 2015 draft eligible players in Eichel, Hanifin, Werenski, Carlo and one of my favorites in this draft, Bracco.

2016 draft eligible Auston Matthews is also kinda good at this hockey thing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In case "kinda good at this hockey thing" doesn't cover it :laugh:, Matthews is probably as good as Eichel, so y'all should watch him.

whlscowt

I know this isn't the best place to post this, but I figured I'd reach the most savvy prospect gurus of this board--and I mean that because the bunch of you are really dialed in so I figured this was right up your alley.

The HF writers are doing a World Junior Pool on the World Junior Championships Board, and I figured I'd let you guys know you can tweet us (@hockeysfuture #wjcpool and your username) for a chance at taking part in the pool. It's pretty simple, and it's a lot of fun. I can't guarantee you guys a spot, but hardly anyone has tweeted us so the odds are pretty good.

The reason I wanted to bring it up here is, if any of you were interested but were worried about the time commitment (it's not too bad but you have to kind of pay attention to the boards, since it's a board draft) I think it would be fun and a great testament to how smart the Sharks board is, if you kind of combine forces and did a team as a group. That way someone is probably always around when your team needs to make a pick and it becomes less hectic since it's around Christmas. Again you don't have to (there's a $20 Amazon gift card for the winner, and that's already not a lot so you might not want to), but it's just an idea. If anyone wanted to do that group thing, when you tweet @hockeysfuture maybe just say "Sharks Board" or something.

Figured I'd let you guys know since you're, "my board." :) Happy Holidays guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA