Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I know some of you will tell me to settle down, but our prospects are doing fantastic work. Finally we have players coming up through the ranks that might actually get a shot and stick with the big team. Halbgewachs is looking like an insane coup for us.

He might be. He doesn't have high end skating ability so I'm kind of meh on him being a steal.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
He might be. He doesn't have high end skating ability so I'm kind of meh on him being a steal.
No, but it's good enough. I'm just liking the fact he's improved since his "draft" year. 101 point as a 19 year old and as an overager he's having a really good season; I'm putting more stock in his 19 year old season since overagers in the CHL can be a gamble. In any case, I'm excited about Hablgewachs.

Chmelevski is looking like the steal of the draft so far though. Ferraro's looking pretty as well

Reactions: SharkAttack86

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
No, but it's good enough. I'm just liking the fact he's improved since his "draft" year. 101 point as a 19 year old and as an overager he's having a really good season; I'm putting more stock in his 19 year old season since overagers in the CHL can be a gamble. In any case, I'm excited about Hablgewachs.

Chmelevski is looking like the steal of the draft so far though. Ferraro's looking pretty as well

At 5'8" your skating has to be pretty damn elite to make a difference in the NHL.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Halbgewachs with a goal (68) and 2 assists
(After going on an abnormal 3 game pointless streak, he's on a 17 game point streak)
Gregor with an assist
Jackson with 2 goals including the OT winner in a 2-1 win (WCHA semi-finals)

And can someone fact check this? The Michigan Tech Hockey twitter account says that Jackson is a Junior

Reactions: NiWa

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Halbgewachs with a goal (68) and 2 assists
(After going on an abnormal 3 game pointless streak, he's on a 17 game point streak)
Gregor with an assist
Jackson with 2 goals including the OT winner in a 2-1 win (WCHA semi-finals)

And can someone fact check this? The Michigan Tech Hockey twitter account says that Jackson is a Junior
It's a pretty common thing now in college hockey, but Jackson didn't begin his freshman year until he was 20. A lot of parents have actually started holding their kids back in school well before college so they'll be bigger than the other kids in their grade. I guess the thinking is they'll receive better scholarship offers for sports in college even though they're a year older. The same thing happened with Adam Parsells and Mike Robinson, they both just started their freshman years in college at age 20.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Ok so I've watched 3 complete Michigan games to get a better feel for Josh Norris. Here is what my takeaways are. You can absolutely see why the Sharks liked him. He is an effortless skater and has room to grow physically. He puts a lot of pressure of dmen on the forecheck and rush. He has a really good shot and is good down low at making plays around the net and slot. He has an edge and isn't afraid to mix it up. He is strong in the faceoff circle. The negatives are he tries to force passes and will turn down prime scoring chances to make an extra pass (he's a Shark already). He gets caught chasing the puck in the d-zone and leaves his man open. He tries to go around or through dmen and ends up turning the puck over a little too often. He will get caught up in the emotion and chase hits and has been lucky not to get post whistle fouls. He is a bit predictable in one on one situations. It's usually turn on the jets and power by the defender. He needs to add some beef to play the way he does down low. These are just my observations. I was expecting his defensive play to be much better but it's his offense and skill level that surprised. Really soft hands and a good passer. Just doesn't shoot enough. You can tell he grew up watching Ryan Kesler. That's how he kind of plays. I forgot to add that I don't expect to see him in a Sharks uniform until 2020. He and his linemates will immediately become the top players on Michigan next year.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Quote from Lebrun's latest Athletic article which I found surprising.

College star to joins Sharks late in season?
Just like Charlie McAvoy did late last season for Boston (appearing in six playoff games) and Brock Boeser for Vancouver (signing and joining the Canucks in late March), I wonder if University of Denver forward Dylan Gambrell, following his college year, might end up signing and then joining the San Jose Sharks for the rest of this season. It’s certainly a possibility.
Gambrell, the Sharks’ second-round pick, 60th overall, in 2016, has 41 points in 34 games this season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I would love for Gambrell to sign and instantly slot into the NHL roster but I'm not really seeing where he'd fit logistically. Top 9ish is kinda locked in personnel wise with Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, Meier, Kane, Donskoi, Labanc, Boedker, and Tierney. I could maybe see Labanc being the odd one out considering the way he's played lately. I think it would make more sense for the lineup if Thornton does come back though since it would force a skilled player down to the 4th line and having Gambrell there too would make it into a skill line rather than a grind line. Speaking of grind line, 5 guys vying for a spot there too.

It's pretty crowded and Gambrell is most likely better than the 4th line guys but I'm not sure about a stylistic fit.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
He might end up with Barracuda (who have a long list of injured as well).

It would give him insight into pro game, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad