Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The way the NHL is now, with smaller statured players having some success, I dont see a reason why Halbgewachs shouldnt have success at the pro level. He needs to get faster and Hes 20 now, give him a year or 2 with the cuda and see how he develops. If he keeps scoring goals then youve obviously got somethin.
Who was that guy we signed a few years ago? He was Latvian or something like that. He was good in juniors then went to the AHL and never made an impact. Don’t remember his name though.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Who was that guy we signed a few years ago? He was Latvian or something like that. He was good in juniors then went to the AHL and never made an impact. Don’t remember his name though.

Nikita Jevpalovs?

He wasn't that good though. His progression was:

age 18 season: 39 points in 60 games
age 19 season: 54 points in 61 games
age 20 (over-age) season: 100 points in 64 games

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yep him. Everyone was freaking out about him and saying he was going to make it to the NHL. I feel like this guy will end up similar.

Wasn't the same. See what I edited into my post above.

For reference, Halbgewachs was:

18yo season: 41 points in 69 games
19yo season: 101 in 71
20yo season: 128 in 71 (with 1 game to go)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yep him. Everyone was freaking out about him and saying he was going to make it to the NHL. I feel like this guy will end up similar.

Wait, who was freaking out about him? :laugh: I certainly don’t remember that.

I’m skeptical of Halbgewachs (thank god my phone has already internalized that spelling) because guys that small have historically needed to be elite skaters to be NHL players, but who knows. The times are changing. Joakim Ryan is tiny but I honestly can’t recall a single time this season where I’ve watched him and thought “he wouldn’t have made that mistake if he were 6’2” and 220.”

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I’m skeptical of Halbgewachs (thank god my phone has already internalized that spelling) because guys that small have historically needed to be elite skaters to be NHL players, but who knows. The times are changing. Joakim Ryan is tiny but I honestly can’t recall a single time this season where I’ve watched him and thought “he wouldn’t have made that mistake if he were 6’2” and 220.”
I don’t remember exactly who it was but I remember people hyping him as an NHL player. Now I’m going to be entirely honest, I haven’t watched him at all. It’s just the whole undrafted and overage thing.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Ryan is also a good skater.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don’t remember exactly who it was but I remember people hyping him as an NHL player. Now I’m going to be entirely honest, I haven’t watched him at all. It’s just the whole undrafted and overage thing.

There was some mild thought that he might be cool as an UDFA given the fact that he had a 100 point Q season and the Sharks' general success rate with undrafted guys. But I don't recall him being penciled in as a for-sure future NHLer or being particularly hyped over him.

Obviously there needs to be some amount of brakes-pumping and caution regarding Halbgewachs given that he's an over-age player without standout physical skills, but a couple of years of very good offensive production also offset that a little bit. Because a lot of times big overage points totals come after relative mediocrity in prior years

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
There was some mild thought that he might be cool as an UDFA given the fact that he had a 100 point Q season and the Sharks' general success rate with undrafted guys. But I don't recall him being penciled in as a for-sure future NHLer or being particularly hyped over him.

Obviously there needs to be some amount of brakes-pumping and caution regarding Halbgewachs given that he's an over-age player without standout physical skills, but a couple of years of very good offensive production also offset that a little bit. Because a lot of times big overage points totals come after relative mediocrity in prior years
The guy that he reminds me of is Labanc in that there’s no physical skills that are above average. Obviously Labanc was younger when he put up his crazy numbers.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Sharks may have jumped on him to try to avoid another Yanni Gourde-esque situation. Not that Gourde was as impressive in juniors, but they probably feel stupid about letting him go now.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sharks may have jumped on him to try to avoid another Yanni Gourde-esque situation. Not that Gourde was as impressive in juniors, but they probably feel stupid about letting him go now.

Yeah.

I did a really basic skim of big over-age scoring leaders in teh WHL over the last 10-15 years and really it's pretty much been Tyler Johnson and a bunch of guys who topped out as "Quad A" (good enough for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL) types. But if you're going to gamble on something in a low-cost way like this, the potential for a Tyler Johnson is always a pretty solid bit of upside.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yeah.

I did a really basic skim of big over-age scoring leaders in teh WHL over the last 10-15 years and really it's pretty much been Tyler Johnson and a bunch of guys who topped out as "Quad A" (good enough for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL) types. But if you're going to gamble on something in a low-cost way like this, the potential for a Tyler Johnson is always a pretty solid bit of upside.
Were any of those overagers close to 70 goals?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Gourde's progression is a total shocker. It's dumb that they let him leave the organization in the first place but it still took him like 6 years to go from good AHL rookie year to breakout NHL rookie. It's impressive but I doubt very many saw this happening.

Anyways, main thing we're gonna need to watch with Halbgewachs is if he can make some kind of impact on the boards. I'm not expecting Meier or Hertl level boardwork but just the tenacity and willingness to get in there.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Were any of those overagers close to 70 goals?

Not of the top of my head. None hit 70 for sure since the feature on Halbgewachs' milestone noted that he's the first one to do it since 98-99 (Pavel Brendl (ugh) had 73 in that season, which was also his draft year.)

I want to say that most were maybe around 50 goals (some of the names I came across were Brandon Kozun (32), Casey Pierro-Zabotel (36), Brendan Shinnimin (58), Adam Hughesman (50), and Tyler Johnson (53)

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Gourde's progression is a total shocker. It's dumb that they let him leave the organization in the first place but it still took him like 6 years to go from good AHL rookie year to breakout NHL rookie. It's impressive but I doubt very many saw this happening.

Anyways, main thing we're gonna need to watch with Halbgewachs is if he can make some kind of impact on the boards. I'm not expecting Meier or Hertl level boardwork but just the tenacity and willingness to get in there.

I agree on Gourde, he was a projext player for us and we really just did not get enough time to develop. 6 years is along time to develop, good for Gourde.

I hope Halbgewachs get some coaching and a chance to develop.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Gregor with an assist
McGrew with a goal and an assist
Halbgewachs with an assist
Chekhovich with a goal
Gambrell with a goal

Reactions: NiWa

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Some good comparables for Halbgewachs just based on dominating the CHL would be DeBrincat and Labanc I would guess. Not perfect since Labanc is too tall and DeBrincat was dominating since he stepped foot in the CHL, but they have these statlines for their last CHL seasons:

Jayden Halbgewachs 5'8", 160 pounds: 72 games, 129 points
Alex DeBrincat 5'7", 165 pounds: 63 games, 127 points
Kevin Labanc 5'11", 185 pounds: 65 games, 127 points

DeBrincat is having a monster year, currently at 45 points in 73 games, Labanc doing well with 38 points in 67 games.

Hopefully Halbgewachs can develop his game like they have so far, although I think DeBrincat is a special case among the three. Also worth noting the weights listed are their current weights, and I expect Labanc and DeBrincat were a little lighter when they had their final CHL seasons.

Reactions: NiWa

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I don't think that people can hold letting Gourde leave against the Sharks, the same as they can't hold it against the Panthers for letting Donskoi go. They had plenty of time to be evaluated, and neither showed that they would project to be the players they are today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->