Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I recall reading something that indicated that statistically draft weight was a better predictor of success than draft height.
I think that makes sense simply for the fact the many of the kids getting drafted will continue growing in height but weight may be an indication a larger frame.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I recall reading something that indicated that statistically draft weight was a better predictor of success than draft height.

That actually makes sense. It would be difficult to weight a lot, still be athletic, and be short, but it would be quite conceivable to be tall, athletic, and skinny.

Ferraro is 83kg, which I am guessing isn't that high.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
If only there was a draft prospect as big as Lebron James who could skate like Grabner and stick handle like Mcdavid. Would that even be legal?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If only there was a draft prospect as big as Lebron James who could skate like Grabner and stick handle like Mcdavid. Would that even be legal?

Mario Lemieux, except he didn't quite have Grabner's speed nor was he that big. Eric Lindros as Gene Parmesan mentioned was very close (over 100kg and used all of it) but, of course, didn't have high-end hockey smarts.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think that's around 182 pounds. He needs to add 10 to 15 more.

The thing about those weights is they're always so inaccurately listed as well as height. You need to watch the players and see if they get physically pushed around with bigger players and see how their size and weight matches up with other players both by your eye test and how it actually affects their game.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The thing about those weights is they're always so inaccurately listed as well as height. You need to watch the players and see if they get physically pushed around with bigger players and see how their size and weight matches up with other players both by your eye test and how it actually affects their game.

Ferraro looks absolutely tiny on the ice. He will need to work hard to add muscle. Josh Norris on the other hand is extremely long and lanky. Which tells me he has plenty of frame to grow into naturally.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Granted it was only like 4 points in 3 games so small sample size. Anyways, overall he's like 4 points in 5 games when Makar wasn't in the lineup. I've heard here and there that Umass isn't that great of a program but I haven't done a lot of research on that. I'm a bit split on whether or not Ferraro would be better off if Makar joins the Avs next season cuz if Makar leaves then Ferraro will probably get a huge boost in responsibilities but playing with a strong program will other good players would also be good too.

I'm a UMass alum and have been following the program since 2003 when I was a freshman. I can say our program has gone through some dark days since the Quick/Braun/Irwin era, the worst of which were probably the 2-3 seasons prior to this year due to an awful awful head coach (Micheletto). Summer of '16 we brought in a new coach though (Greg Carvel) who has a history in the NHL and has worked with some legendary NHL defenseman (Karlsson, Pronger & Niedermeyer). The program is turning it around quickly. UMass more than tripled it's win total from last season and is made up of almost entirely freshmen and sophomores. Despite the program having bad years they still play in Hockey East which is a top 2-3 conference and in some years it is the best conference in NCAA hockey. This means that whether UMass is winning or losing, Makar/Ferraro are playing against some of the best players/teams in college hockey regularly throughout the season. For example they play BU with Jordan Greenway, Shane Bowers, Dante Fabro, Brady Tkachuk and goalie Jake Oettinger 3 times. The conference is deep and while this is a bit of a down year for Hockey East, it typically sends 4-6 teams to the NCAA tournament.

I personally think Makar and Ferraro would benefit from staying with Carvel longer due to his experience with top notch d-men. I'd say Makar should stay 1 more season in college and Ferraro probably 2 more. Makar still needs to add some size and consistency IMO. Much of what makes him look so good in college is his end to end carries but that won't be as easy when he gets to the next level. He's still lacking a bit in his own end though and playing at a high level every game. Ferraro I think plays a more well rounded game currently than Makar, but doesn't have quite the offensive flair that Makar does. I don't think Ferraro would benefit from Makar leaving as he already plays with him on the top PP unit and the top pairing.

Edit: Also UMass has sent a decent amount of players to the NHL over the past 10-15 years and even more to the AHL and foreign pro leagues.
Tomas Pock, Greg Maulden, Casey Wellman, Jon Quick, Justin Braun, Matt Irwin, Frank Vatrano, Conor Sheary, Brandon Montour, Mike Kostka, Joel Hanley, Conor Allen and Matt Anderson.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Halbgewachs with a hat trick and 5 points.
64 goals, 118 points.
6 games left to get to 70.
Completely doable.

The other fun part is that Halbgewachs is now 8 goals clear of the 2nd place players in the scoring race (Glenn Gawdin of Swift Current and Ty Ronning of the Vancouver Giants)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What on earth happened to Halbgewachs that made him go from 8 points in his draft year to almost 70 goals three seasons later? I’m genuinely curious.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
What on earth happened to Halbgewachs that made him go from 8 points in his draft year to almost 70 goals three seasons later? I’m genuinely curious.

Yeah me too. I mean he's still the same small guy he was back then. They must've buried him on the 4th line. Looking back at the team during his rookie year, there was Point leading the way with two overagers in Eberle and Rodewald. Blomqvist was also there and Howden was just starting out.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Quote from Corey Pronman's latest article.

San Jose: Alexander Chmelevski, C
I was at a 67’s game recently, in part to watch Chmelevski, and I thought he looked excellent. His points aren’t fantastic for his age, but he’s got a ton of skill, great offensive instincts, and can make and finish plays. Getting Chmelevski a tad quicker and better off the puck will be important for his NHL development, but he has so much skill that I think he has a chance to be a good NHL player one day. He should be part of the USA World Junior Championship team next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad