Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Shark alum Jim Montgomery is Gabrell's coach, so he can speak first hand to Sharks organization experience.

A number of guys have "jumped" to pro (before 4 years/graduation) for Sharks yet "gone back" to finish their degree (summers and correspondence classes).

Hmmmm.
I guess that is always a possibility. If the intention is purely to finish college he could sign the contract with the Sharks and finish his degree outside of standard college classes. The general consensus does seem to be that he has nothing left to learn from college hockey so maybe he does end up signing the contract.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Friday
Chmelevski with an assist
Chekhovich with a goal
Halbgewachs with an assist
Blichfeld with a goal
Gregor with a goal
McGrew with an assist
Reedy with a goal and an assist
Vela with an assist
Gambrell with a goal and an assist
Jackson with an assist

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Went to the UMass hockey east playoff game today. Ferraro had another very strong game. Scored the opening goal and assisted on the 2nd goal which ended up being the game winner. This is my 7th time seeing him this year and I am pretty convinced he will at a minimum make the NHL. I am becoming more and more convinced of him having upside of a #3 or #4 DMan though. He sees the play very well, possesses the puck well, plays a physical edge and his motor never stops. His skating is above average and his shot is solid. His size worries me a tiny bit but more and more undersized Dmen seem to be succeeding in the modern NHL. Ferraro plays bigger than a 5 foot 10 guy.

He now has 4 goals and 22 points in 35 games during his freshman season, pretty much level with Makar who he is paired with majority of the time.

I definitely think he needs 1-2 more years in college, but I would easily put him as our top DMan prospect due to Roy’s health issues.

UMass/Ferraro advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs and will play a best of 3 series at Northeastern next weekend.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Went to the UMass hockey east playoff game today. Ferraro had another very strong game. Scored the opening goal and assisted on the 2nd goal which ended up being the game winner. This is my 7th time seeing him this year and I am pretty convinced he will at a minimum make the NHL. I am becoming more and more convinced of him having upside of a #3 or #4 DMan though. He sees the play very well, possesses the puck well, plays a physical edge and his motor never stops. His skating is above average and his shot is solid. His size worries me a tiny bit but more and more undersized Dmen seem to be succeeding in the modern NHL. Ferraro plays bigger than a 5 foot 10 guy.

He now has 4 goals and 22 points in 35 games during his freshman season, pretty much level with Makar who he is paired with majority of the time.

I definitely think he needs 1-2 more years in college, but I would easily put him as our top DMan prospect due to Roy’s health issues.

UMass/Ferraro advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs and will play a best of 3 series at Northeastern next weekend.

That is good to hear and Ferraro's numbers are promising. But count how many top-4 NHL defensemen are under 6 feet....and the players who buck the trend tend to be prolific junior scorers who become primarily offensive defensemen. Hopefully, Ferraro can be one of that minority, but it is still a longshot.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
That is good to hear and Ferraro's numbers are promising. But count how many top-4 NHL defensemen are under 6 feet....and the players who buck the trend tend to be prolific junior scorers who become primarily offensive defensemen. Hopefully, Ferraro can be one of that minority, but it is still a longshot.
Orlov and Barrie come to mind. Barrie did light up juniors, but Orlov was in the KHL.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014

Ferraro just set the school record for most points by a freshman defenceman

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Orlov and Barrie come to mind. Barrie did light up juniors, but Orlov was in the KHL.

That's good. An NHL scout once told me that the junior production and draft-size weight (not height, but let's make the assumption that there is a decent causal correlation between the two) were some of the best indicators of long-term NHL success.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There's quite a few. Anton Stralman, Torey Krug, Ryan Ellis, Tobias Enstrom, Jared Spurgeon, Samuel Girard, Tyson Barrie, Dmitri Orlov, Shayne Gostisbehere, Andy Greene, Sami Vatanen, Will Butcher, Joakim Ryan, Alex Goligoski, and Francois Beauchemin used to be a top 4, Not to mention that a lot of the premier defensemen in the league aren't exactly huge either like Subban and Giordano are only 6' and Doughty is 6'1". It's not like they're a majority or anything but there's quite a few and there's a huge shift in what skills matter for NHL defensemen.

Reactions: Sleestack

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I am curious how he does without Makar. I don't follow college hockey as much but some people have commented that his production has a lot to do with Makar.
That is completely wrong. Makar is the more skilled player but Ferraro's production isn't padded much by Makar. He has outscored Makar (with a few extra games played) and for the most part performed at the same level. Makar has an extra level that Ferraro does not have but he hasn't used that extra gear to really dominate at the college level. Makar clearly has the higher upside, I could easily see him becoming a top pairing d-man and a PP QB, but at this point in their careers they're performing at a similar level. Makar and Ferraro have been paired together for much of the season but I'd say they compliment each other very well more so than either one of them is riding the other to better stats.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That is completely wrong. Makar is the more skilled player but Ferraro's production isn't padded much by Makar. He has outscored Makar (with a few extra games played) and for the most part performed at the same level. Makar has an extra level that Ferraro does not have but he hasn't used that extra gear to really dominate at the college level. Makar clearly has the higher upside, I could easily see him becoming a top pairing d-man and a PP QB, but at this point in their careers they're performing at a similar level. Makar and Ferraro have been paired together for much of the season but I'd say they compliment each other very well more so than either one of them is riding the other to better stats.
That is very good to know.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Nice! Ferraro playing so well as a freshman is a big positive.
Granted it was only like 4 points in 3 games so small sample size. Anyways, overall he's like 4 points in 5 games when Makar wasn't in the lineup. I've heard here and there that Umass isn't that great of a program but I haven't done a lot of research on that. I'm a bit split on whether or not Ferraro would be better off if Makar joins the Avs next season cuz if Makar leaves then Ferraro will probably get a huge boost in responsibilities but playing with a strong program will other good players would also be good too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's good. An NHL scout once told me that the junior production and draft-size weight (not height, but let's make the assumption that there is a decent causal correlation between the two) were some of the best indicators of long-term NHL success.

I recall reading something that indicated that statistically draft weight was a better predictor of success than draft height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad