Pre-Game Talk: Sharks on Friday/@Montreal Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think a majority of the teams generally follow our approach unless they have a good backup. Boston for example can play either with minimal impact, we don't have that luxury.

See the post below.

Sharks starting Dell against the Habs. Ugh!

So they're starting their backup on the 1st game of a b2b, hmm, interesting.

I'd love to say that they're saving their #1 for the toughest opponent but that's not clear at this point. Though I guess you could say that our offence is scarier then MTL's so there is that.

Yeah, but here's the thing: They use stats averaged from all teams in the league. Good, average, terrible teams. Older teams. Teams that play a different style than us. It's useful info I'm sure, but that's not our team.

We don't have any stats on what works best for us because Babcock will never try anything different.

As far as I know, we don't even know that we're using stats of any kind to make this decision.

Reactions: Madap

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yep, takes time for all the new faces to become a team
That can be accepted but you can still be engaged even when dysfunctional. Effort comes from an individual. System comes from a team.
I still see Timo/Moore/Kerfoot driving ahead during this crisis of becoming a team time.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think a majority of the teams generally follow our approach unless they have a good backup.

There was only one NHL team that played their backup in the second game of every back-to-back last season - that was Toronto, playing Sparks. For most teams it looked basically random as to who would play.

Reactions: IPS

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
I have a feeling this is going to be a rough game for us if the casual and lackluster play continues. I guess we will see how we stack up against another heavy team. I hope the boys aren't shrinking violets this time.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
It's not stupid if it improves the team's long term success. Were you also hoping they won all those games they lost in 15-16 for the best odds at Matthews?

15-16 was significantly different than this current team. SIGNIFICANTLY. Stop throwing red herrings out. That comparison is apples to oranges.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I have a feeling this is going to be a rough game for us if the casual and lackluster play continues. I guess we will see how we stack up against another heavy team. I hope the boys aren't shrinking violets this time.

If your pattern is to lose the 2nd game of a B2B - you need to feast on teams when you're rested and they are on game 2 of a B2B.

Because I'm going to tell you something - there should be no excuses to losing tomorrow. None. No team with playoff aspirations should BOTH roll over on B2B game 2 AND not capitalize when they have a tired team coming into town and you're rested and waiting for them at home.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Guaranteed, long term contracts! If only a player could be FIRED after being awarded a large sum of money over several years and doesn't live up to it. No need to prove anything until you're in your final year. This has gone on with some NHL players for far too long.

Honestly, I'm thinking your talking about guys playing with Matthews and Marner (Kapanen, Johnnson, Hyman etc.). IMO those players won't play down to their teammates.

If your talking long term deals, vets etc. I can completely agree with you.

I think I misread your original point a bit.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
So they're starting their backup on the 1st game of a b2b, hmm, interesting.

I'd love to say that they're saving their #1 for the toughest opponent but that's not clear at this point. Though I guess you could say that our offence is scarier then MTL's so there is that.

What do you think will be the first thing that fanbase will whine about if the backup has a stinker in game 1 and they lose both games ?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
It's not stupid if it improves the team's long term success. Were you also hoping they won all those games they lost in 15-16 for the best odds at Matthews?
I sure as hell WAS hoping for them to win those games no matter what. Obviously I knew their odds were not that good winning those games but at least put in an effort. I never hope my team loses any games whether its tanking for 1st overall or hoping they lose <insert game #> just to see a coach get fired. Thats really stupid. Whats the point of watching their game if you hope for them to lose.

Reactions: Lilou and Buds17

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Stupid is believing they will win or lose based on your wishes.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
TBH, I don't care much what the fanbase does or doesn't do, I just want the team to succeed.

Yes me to.

I'm just trying to point out that there are pros and cons to both strategies. I like the idea of getting the points that are in front of you. IMO they use the right strategy.

I totally understand the opposite opinion.

Reactions: ACC1224

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I think it should be a hyrbrid approach to picking the goalies in a back to back.

Start with Freddy in game 1, sure. But if they lose. Come back with Freddie in game 2. You can always get him some rest against weaker teams throughout the year. If we win game 1, come back with Hutch in game 2 but 60 minutes isn't a guarantee. Get scored on early and get down by 2 in the first 10 minutes....sorry Hutch gets the hook Freddie goes in.

Points are just given away too easily with this team. Especially at home. Those are OUR points ...you want them you better bring it!!! That should be the mentality. We're soft and roll over against high end teams. That is on leadership and leadership starts with Babcock. It's why I am looking forward to him getting his walking papers. This team with Keefe will be much tougher to play against in the 2nd half of the season.

Bravo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think we are actually going to see some push back this weekend - there’s no way they’re going to get pushed around by Max Domi and those other punks. I don’t care who does it I want to see at least 1 fight in Montreal.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Maybe it does take longer for a team to get going sometimes? Other times, Leafs have had a few hot starts only to fizzle at the end. Maybe this is the other way?

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I think after HNIC we gonna sit on a 4 game L streak.
San Jose is good against us, Marleaus gonna score for sure. And he is clutch so L.
Montreal vs Hutch on HNIC a loss again, even if we lead by 3 goals we gonna find a way to get the L.
I abandoned all hope until Babcock is fired.
The players already had a family meeting: nothing good happened.
Its not a cold streak, the Leafs are this bad.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Maybe it does take longer for a team to get going sometimes? Other times, Leafs have had a few hot starts only to fizzle at the end. Maybe this is the other way?

Yeah, distressing it is the turnover and removal of several big influential personalities from the culture, not just the ice, the disjointed start is likely predictable. Throw in the injuries and tough schedule treading water for the first 10-20 may not be a total disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad