Pre-Game Talk: Sharks on Friday/@Montreal Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Was watching The Office re-runs earlier and I came across a couple of my more favourite Michael Scott vs. Toby Flenderson run-ins:

Let's face it. Everyone loves Michael Scott! He is so special! No one likes a TOBY!

Who is your ' Toby Flenderson ' in the current Maple Leafs organization?

I'll give everyone the choice to pick 3 Toby's. Coaching staff and GM are valid options for this, if you wish.

I won't hold this against anyone. It's just jokes. Alright, I'll go:

Toby 1. Marincin
Toby 2. Babcock
Toby 3. Maple Leafs in-arena DJ

Reactions: Schooner

horner

May 22, 2007
Time for our top forwards to play a 200' game and being strong on the puck.
We need to start making better line changes
We have to be harder to play against in all zones

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Time for our top forwards to play a 200' game and being strong on the puck.
We need to start making better line changes
We have to be harder to play against in all zones
Time for nylander lovers to stop comparing to pasternak
Not really close except by about 500 k in salary
My biggest disappointment in dubas
Paying willy then not trading him after July 1st

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Could see Freddy starting both games depending how the game against SJ goes. On the Plus side of things, looks like we get to be the rested team against a San Jose team thats going to be playing on the 2nd night of a back to back.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not to get on the schedule, but..... SJ played in Buff on Tues and Montreal tonight - wouldn’t it have made sense for them to play in Toronto tonight and then Montreal tomorrow night?

Anywelp, since they didn’t, they may as well thrash Montreal tonight.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Could see Freddy starting both games depending how the game against SJ goes. On the Plus side of things, looks like we get to be the rested team against a San Jose team thats going to be playing on the 2nd night of a back to back.
I could see that and I think most would like to see that.
Although if the backup doesn't play there, when will he play next?

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I could see that and I think most would like to see that.
Although if the backup doesn't play there, when will he play next?

Seems like the right way would be

Hutch in 1st as SJ will be tired on their 2nd half of B2B
Andersson in the 2nd.

But Anderson has not played since Monday.

NHL has to get rid of the b2b with travel against a rested team. Okay if both played night before but it seems like everyone looses the 2nd game if the other team is rested. Even the weaker teams like Ottawa and the wi;d seem to be able to win relatively easily playing against someone who played the night before with travel.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
thought Hutch played well last night he made some pretty big saves to keep us afloat

He was passable the other night in Boston. He handles the puck badly and the team doesn't seem to have confidence in him. Yes I know he gets the tired team on the 2nd night playing in front of him but the reality is he needs to steal a game soon....and then build on that. Results business. No results...buh bye.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Andy should play both games. Need all the points here. He can play 2 in a row easy, and I'm a pretty big Andy fan... but if he doesn't like playing 2 in a row(apparently reported somewhere) to bad... and if the teams trying to keep him fresh for later in the season... now is not the time.

No panic ... but this team is way better, and obviously haven't been playing near as good as they can. No reason they can't win both of these games this weekend. They're better than both these teams.

I'll be glad to see Dermott, JT, and Hyman back. We're way better with them in the lineup. They all have a bit of grit at least.

I'm not a huge on you have to have a goon on a team or be the toughest... but its pretty obvious they need a Josh Anderson ... or a Matthew Tkachuk etc. Still have skill, but they know how to grind it out a bit.

Way to many fly bys and individual efforts... play like a team Leafs. Enough of this bullshit. You have your contracts... time to show you're worth at least most of it....

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Andy should play both games. Need all the points here. He can play 2 in a row easy, and I'm a pretty big Andy fan... but if he doesn't like playing 2 in a row(apparently reported somewhere) to bad... and if the teams trying to keep him fresh for later in the season... now is not the time.

No panic ... but this team is way better, and obviously haven't been playing near as good as they can. No reason they can't win both of these games this weekend. They're better than both these teams.

I'll be glad to see Dermott, JT, and Hyman back. We're way better with them in the lineup. They all have a bit of grit at least.

I'm not a huge on you have to have a goon on a team or be the toughest... but its pretty obvious they need a Josh Anderson ... or a Matthew Tkachuk etc. Still have skill, but they know how to grind it out a bit.

Way to many fly bys and individual efforts... play like a team Leafs. Enough of this bull****. You have your contracts... time to show you're worth at least most of it....
100% to the bolded but Teams don't let those guys go.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
100% to the bolded but Teams don't let those guys go.

No doubt... I wouldn't either... but we need 1 guy in our top 9, and one more guy like a Muzzin in our 6 D.

I know... its wishful thinking... they don't grow on trees... but like I said... glad we're getting Hyman back.

A lot of people chirp him, but you need guys like that sprinkled in your lineup.

The skill players... some of them anyway... they look like they play scared, and when the Leafs get the puck, it seems to me a lot of teams are all over them, but only some of the Leaf players do the same to the other team.

Leafs need more guys buying in to ... you know... finishing a check etc... kind of 101 type of stuff.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No doubt... I wouldn't either... but we need 1 guy in our top 9, and one more guy like a Muzzin in our 6 D.

I know... its wishful thinking... they don't grow on trees... but like I said... glad we're getting Hyman back.

A lot of people chirp him, but you need guys like that sprinkled in your lineup.

The skill players... some of them anyway... they look like they play scared, and when the Leafs get the puck, it seems to me a lot of teams are all over them, but only some of the Leaf players do the same to the other team.

Leafs need more guys buying in to ... you know... finishing a check etc... kind of 101 type of stuff.
We haven't heard from those who didn't see Hymans value in quite some time.....thankfully.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Exactly.

I think guys like Matthews and Nylander 'play down' to their linemates. If they have a linemate that is working their tail off, they will too. If they have a linemate that is floating around a bit, they will too.

Hopefully this goes away with time, when they get more experienced.

Reactions: Burnie97

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Time for nylander lovers to stop comparing to pasternak
Not really close except by about 500 k in salary
My biggest disappointment in dubas
Paying willy then not trading him after July 1st
Saying nicknames doesn't help anyone.
The biggest disappointment was signing Marner to that contract.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I don't think it makes any sense to go with your #1 against SJ and your backup on HNIC against Montreal.
I agree but it's highly unlikely.

If they play Freddy on Sat, 1) it shows a disrespect to SJ and 2) it's like Babs admitting the media and fans are right which will never happen.

Reactions: hullsy47

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

If they play Freddy on Sat, 1) it shows a disrespect to SJ and 2) it's like Babs admitting the media and fans are right which will never happen.

It's ok fans will know they were right when his keister is shitcanned.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

It can also send a message to his players that the focus is Saturday and they may look past the game Friday.
I'd prefer Andersen play both but if they need to split I'd play the backup Saturday.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I think it should be a hyrbrid approach to picking the goalies in a back to back.

Start with Freddy in game 1, sure. But if they lose. Come back with Freddie in game 2. You can always get him some rest against weaker teams throughout the year. If we win game 1, come back with Hutch in game 2 but 60 minutes isn't a guarantee. Get scored on early and get down by 2 in the first 10 minutes....sorry Hutch gets the hook Freddie goes in.

Points are just given away too easily with this team. Especially at home. Those are OUR points ...you want them you better bring it!!! That should be the mentality. We're soft and roll over against high end teams. That is on leadership and leadership starts with Babcock. It's why I am looking forward to him getting his walking papers. This team with Keefe will be much tougher to play against in the 2nd half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad