Pre-Game Talk: Sharks on Friday/@Montreal Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think it should be a hyrbrid approach to picking the goalies in a back to back.

Start with Freddy in game 1, sure. But if they lose. Come back with Freddie in game 2. You can always get him some rest against weaker teams throughout the year. If we win game 1, come back with Hutch in game 2 but 60 minutes isn't a guarantee. Get scored on early and get down by 2 in the first 10 minutes....sorry Hutch gets the hook Freddie goes in.

Points are just given away too easily with this team. Especially at home. Those are OUR points ...you want them you better bring it!!! That should be the mentality. We're soft and roll over against high end teams. That is on leadership and leadership starts with Babcock. It's why I am looking forward to him getting his walking papers. This team with Keefe will be much tougher to play against in the 2nd half of the season.
To me the bolded sounds like a recipe to get your starter injured.
If he's given a night off, give him the night off.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think it should be a hyrbrid approach to picking the goalies in a back to back.

Start with Freddy in game 1, sure. But if they lose. Come back with Freddie in game 2. You can always get him some rest against weaker teams throughout the year. If we win game 1, come back with Hutch in game 2 but 60 minutes isn't a guarantee. Get scored on early and get down by 2 in the first 10 minutes....sorry Hutch gets the hook Freddie goes in.

Points are just given away too easily with this team. Especially at home. Those are OUR points ...you want them you better bring it!!! That should be the mentality. We're soft and roll over against high end teams. That is on leadership and leadership starts with Babcock. It's why I am looking forward to him getting his walking papers. This team with Keefe will be much tougher to play against in the 2nd half of the season.

Totally agree. Babcock's shelf life is over. We're easier to beat at home b/c of his incessant line- matching
And the atmosphere at the rink is almost embarrassing

Reactions: IPS

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Totally agree. Babcock's shelf life is over. We're easier to beat at home b/c of his incessant line- matching

His best before date may have come and gone but he might not be fully expired yet. Many of the so called experts think the players are the problem.

Reactions: rumman

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So tired of this team saying they need to be better and then coming out flat to start game. Or taking the 2nd period off.

Talk is cheap. Matty said after the Bruins game that this is not acceptable and he and the rest have to be better. Let's see if he was just blowing hot air tomorrow night.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Talk is cheap. Matty said after the Bruins game that this is not acceptable and he and the rest have to be better. Let's see if he was just blowing hot air tomorrow night.

I'll take it one step further. If the 11M kids aren't better....it's because they CANT be better! Show us you can be better or else you are NOT better.

I'm on the "you wanted to be paid like elite franchise players" train now.... it's now on YOU to carry THAT share of the responsbility for elevating the team and besting the other team's top lines REGULARLY.

Failure to do that makes you a FAILURE.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'll take it one step further. If the 11M kids aren't better....it's because they CANT be better! Show us you can be better or else you are NOT better.

I'm on the "you wanted to be paid like elite franchise players" train now.... it's now on YOU to carry THAT share of the responsbility for elevating the team and besting the other team's top lines REGULARLY.

Failure to do that makes you a FAILURE.

Exactly, they did not buy the "we can surround you with better supporting players if you take less" argument so now go out and do it yourselves. If they continue playing like they have, the fans will turn on them, not the players making the minimum. Personally I would look to move one of Willie or Marner to send a message to the 3.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I agree but it's highly unlikely.

If they play Freddy on Sat, 1) it shows a disrespect to SJ and 2) it's like Babs admitting the media and fans are right which will never happen.

The Leafs have one of if not the highest winning % on the first game of back to backs over the past couple of seasons. It's a strategy that's working as intended.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's better in person they say :rolleyes:

I haven't been to a Leafs game in 6 years but I'm not convinced it matches up with the Jets atmosphere in their tin can of an arena.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The Leafs have one of if not the highest winning % on the first game of back to backs over the past couple of seasons. It's a strategy that's working as intended.

Yeah, of all the things to hate Babcock on this one I don't get. Andersen's record on the first game of a b2b is elite. We want management to use stats and numbers to make decisions for everything else, apart from the backup goalie on a b2b where we should just play hunches. It's a weird disconnect.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Tomorrow will speak volumes.

Sharks playing tonight in Montreal. Older team.

If you can't impose your game and will on them and win convincingly - joke team.

Reactions: rumman

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
His best before date may have come and gone but he might not be fully expired yet. Many of the so called experts think the players are the problem.

I think the players are the problem as well, but you can't change the players in mid season very well........so we all know what will change.

If the coach is the problem, then there should be sustained improvement and the masses will be proven correct.

If it's the players, there will be short term improvement until they tire of the next guy.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Its been one of the highest the past couple seasons because we've been a top team the past couple seasons. It would still be high regardless of who we played in net.

Our second half of back to backs has been abysmal. Put our starter in now and then to help us win something instead of just throwing away points.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, of all the things to hate Babcock on this one I don't get. Andersen's record on the first game of a b2b is elite. We want management to use stats and numbers to make decisions for everything else, apart from the backup goalie on a b2b where we should just play hunches. It's a weird disconnect.

That's just one part of the equation. For example - what's the backup's record in the second game?

Also, I wouldn't expect his record in game 1 of a b2b to be any different then his overall record as to him, they're the same as any other games, no?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
That's just one part of the equation. For example - what's the backup's record in the second game?

Also, I wouldn't expect his record in game 1 of a b2b to be any different then his overall record as to him, they're the same as any other games, no?

I think it's slightly better actually, I don't have the numbers in front of me but if we had that record over a season people would be ecstatic.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Not just that, we want the guy that whose judgement gets ridiculed on pretty much everything to be the guy playing those hunches. :huh:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Or, SJ is playing tonight. We get them on the 2nd game back to back. Division rival Saturday night.
Start the backup. If he holds the fort, great. If he stumbles, you still have time to get Andersen in the net that game and start him the next night.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
This whole goalie situation on back to back is getting a bit ridicules.

The coach has made his decision on this strategy and people just love to whine about it.

There are pros and cons to both different strategies (Freddie playing 1st game vs playing 2nd game).

Shouldn't even be an argument.

Reactions: glue

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Or, SJ is playing tonight. We get them on the 2nd game back to back. Division rival Saturday night.
Start the backup. If he holds the fort, great. If he stumbles, you still have time to get Andersen in the net that game and start him the next night.

Flexibility. Not a cookie-cutter approach. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad