LeBrun: Sharks & Karlsson ''on same page'' to try and get a trade done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I’m sure EK will feel terrible about not being traded as he collects his $11.5 million paycheck for being made to live in the Bay Area
Well for 1, the Bay Area looks more and more like a refugee camp by the day. Terrible homeless and drug problem…. Know people living there.

2) A competitive guy like EK will be upset not having a chance to win. All top tier athletes who haven’t won the big one want that opportunity as their careers reach the latter stages. EK is making 11.5 mil next season regardless of where…. He wants it to be where he feels he has a chance to win. If he wants to live in the Bay Area, he can move back when his playing days are over…. For now, it’s about winning.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I’m sure EK will feel terrible about not being traded as he collects his $11.5 million paycheck for being made to live in the Bay Area

I dont think he is going to be content letting Las Vegas win the Cup over and over again even if he is collecting 11.5M

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ok …. Then we happily move on without him.

Let’s discuss facts
1) Very few teams teams were interested in acquiring EK

2) Even fewer team are in a position to take on his cap hit, even after retention

3) On Top of 1 & 2, EK has total control to say where he wants to go if he gets moved…. Winnipeg can offer you 10 first round picks for EK, but if he says no, it doesn’t matter.

4) SJ and EK were on the same page that “both are better off moving on”.

5) For most teams EK is not a need….. he is a nice to have. The Pens have a legitimate #1D in Letang. EK would have more value to us if he were a 100 point LW with size. Thus, not making the trade doesn’t leave us without a 1D so kicking rocks in this case isn’t the end of the world.

6) not taking what you can get that is reasonable (a 1st and B prospect) and holding EK because “you don’t have to trade him and we have all control” would waste any chance he had of winning or what he perceives as a chance. Basically it’s holding him hostage. Now, if you get the reputation of being an organization that holds its stars hostage, how many star players are going to want to sign there as a FA, or extend there after being a trade deadline rental.

So, those are the facts. If you still don’t get it, and Grier thinks like you, we will gladly kick rocks and move on.
The only fact on this list of facts is three. The rest is subjective opinion. Some of it is pretty ridiculous like four since that's not what the same page report actually says. The other thing is that what you find reasonable for the Sharks to take what they can get was not something you specifically ever offered. You offered the Iginla deal which was a 1st and two college prospects that were not B prospects. I'm not worried about the Sharks' reputation. They're a bad team under new management needing a long time to rebuild. They've already moved three players who had requested a trade under this management. It's not a matter of will to get something done to move a player that wants to go elsewhere. It's about not getting ripped off in the process. A new GM like Grier has already traded two of his stars. If you're going to offer a shit deal like the Iginla deal for Karlsson while asking them to retain and eat cap dumps, you can kick rocks and move on but the reality is that Pittsburgh does need a player like Karlsson if they hope to get back into the playoffs next year that they missed. That's probably worth a lot more to their newly hired GM and their established stars to get done than adding a second first round pick that would be protected anyway.

You just need to admit that this game you're playing is largely bullshit posturing on your end. You just want to get the biggest bargain you can but that only goes so far if/when it actually gets completed. You're going to have to pay a lot more than a 1st and a couple nobodies like Pittsburgh did for Iginla. Grier's done enough for me to have confidence in him being willing to trade his stars and be able to take less to get it done as well but there's a limit to that.

Again, you just don't know what you're talking about.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
He will miss out on the interactive aviary and the VIP Heinz ketchup tours though :(
You also seem to miss the point…. It’s not about long term living… it’s about going where he thinks he can win. For long term living, he can go anywhere when he is done…. This destination is about 1 thing only… a chance to win it all.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Well for 1, the Bay Area looks more and more like a refugee camp by the day. Terrible homeless and drug problem…. Know people living there.

2) A competitive guy like EK will be upset not having a chance to win. All top tier athletes who haven’t won the big one want that opportunity as their careers reach the latter stages. EK is making 11.5 mil next season regardless of where…. He wants it to be where he feels he has a chance to win. If he wants to live in the Bay Area, he can move back when his playing days are over…. For now, it’s about winning.
And yet it remains such a high value real estate market.
Your post tells us all you've never been here

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
except once the season starts.. no trade for this contract can be made to a team trying to win a cup.

That will piss Karlsson off, and might play poor to start... then could get injured... its just bad for business to drag it out really.
Once the season starts more teams will be able to trade for Karlsson. That will make him happy and he'll play very well. It's good for business to keep a superstar player instead of paying him tens of millions of dollars to play for another team in exchange for worse players and draft picks that have less than a 50/50 chance of panning out

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Point one is a laughably incorrect point. Point two sounds good until it's realized that this doesn't apply entirely to Karlsson here and now. Is Karlsson competitive? Absolutely and he does want to get traded to a competitor. Will not getting traded make him upset? Maybe but nothing shows it would be to the team's detriment. He's already said he would understand if he had to start next season with the Sharks. That doesn't sound like a guy that would be upset if it didn't go his way now. Besides, he's smart enough to know that if the Sharks have to hold onto him because teams are lowballing the team that another season where he plays at an exceptional level and would then have one less year on his contract is his only option moving forward. If he wants to compete, he has to remain elite to have a hope at getting a shot somewhere else.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

I mean, I actually do live there and that's just not true. Yea of course it's going to look like that in the Tenderloin like it always has but let's not act like every single neighborhood in the area is New York in '77.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
On what planet does trading Jan Rutta at $2.75 million cost the Penguins a 1st when there have been numerous Jan Rutta contracts handed out to Jan Rutta caliber defensemen in the off-season?

In UFA this year alone, you'd have:

-Borgen: 2 years at $2.7 million AAV
-Dumoulin: 2 years at $3.15 million AAV
-Holl: 3 years at $3.4 million AAV
-Cole: 1 year at $3 million AAV
-Soucy: 3 years at $3.25 million AAV
-Miikola: 3 years at $2.5 million AAV
-Schenn: 3 years at $2.75 million AAV
-Clifton: 3 years at $3.33 million AAV

On what planet is it costing Rutta a 1st to move while nearly a third of teams are handing out the same exact contract to the same caliber of player as Rutta?
On the planet where you just gave Chicago or Anaheim a 1st to retain 2M for 4 years?

harro92

Jan 22, 2009
Melbourne
I still don't fully believe yet that the Penguins want to get rid of Granlund and would include him in the Karlsson trade. I still think the team legitimately likes him on the 3rd line and would rather keep him.

I think it's more likely that the Penguins push for heavy retention to get Karlsson and Petry to as close of an even salary swap as possible. It would explain why there needs to be a third team in the deal, because San Jose isn't going to retain nearly that much money on Karlsson.

I'm still sticking with the prediction that the trade ends up looking something like this:

Penguins get Karlsson at $7.5 million
Sharks get Petry, Smith, Poulin and a 2025 conditional 1st (1st if the Penguins make the ECF in either 2024 or 2025, 2nd otherwise) from Pittsburgh while retaining $2 million on Karlsson
Anaheim/Chicago/Arizona gets a 2024 1st from Pittsburgh for retaining $2 million on Karlsson

In total, it's Petry, Smith, Poulin, a 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st for Karlsson at $7.5 million, but San Jose loses the 2024 1st to a third team because they're not willing to eat the full $4 million.
I pass on this deal as a sharks fan

Reactions: Grinner

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On the planet where you just gave Chicago or Anaheim a 1st to retain 2M for 4 years?

Retaining $2 million for 4 years is $7 million in real dollars and dead cap space of $2 million for 4 years. Rutta is an effective bottom pair defenseman that is paid fairly for what caliber of player he is for 2 years.

A 1st for 4 years of retention is wildly more believable than the idea that it would cost a 1st to move Rutta.

I pass on this deal as a sharks fan

I mean, you're not getting more than that if you're only retaining $2 million on Karlsson :dunno:

If you want to keep him, that's totally fair. But if you want to trade him, you're likely not getting better than that.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

harro92

Jan 22, 2009
Melbourne
Retaining $2 million for 4 years is $7 million in real dollars and dead cap space of $2 million for 4 years. Rutta is an effective bottom pair defenseman that is paid fairly for what caliber of player he is for 2 years.

A 1st for 4 years of retention is wildly more believable than the idea that it would cost a 1st to move Rutta.

I mean, you're not getting more than that if you're only retaining $2 million on Karlsson :dunno:

If you want to keep him, that's totally fair. But if you want to trade him, you're likely not getting better than that.
That’s fair I think I would hold onto him rather then get a pretty average return

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Of course it translates to some points here and there but that change with Karlsson out of the lineup at the trade deadline doesn't mean that they'd have Bedard by doing so. Removing Karlsson at the trade deadline probably puts the Sharks in last place. Last place still didn't end up with Bedard. And the Sharks may still have taken Smith at 2 knowing their management and while I think there's a big enough difference between Smith and either Carlsson or Fantilli, I don't think the Sharks do so it may not have changed anything for them specifically.

Hardly going out on a limb there. Most fans of teams don't like any trade moving out a star player and don't know the assets coming back. People hated the Meier trade though it was very likely the smartest thing they could've done for the situation they are in. Doesn't exactly make any sort of coherent point though. With Karlsson's NMC and high cap hit that they will retain down to a manageable number, I expect two first round pick level assets from a playoff team and then whatever else needed to get the deal done. Everyone has their preferences on who they'd want or what they're willing to give up. Doesn't really mean anything until we have something done. But this particular response of yours doesn't really acknowledge the point made to you. Making some huge deal about the 11.5 mil cap figure when that's not what the acquiring team will have as Karlsson's cap figure when they get him is just making meaningless noise because it misses the point of the trade entirely.

Nurse in any deal to San Jose just shows you're not thinking any of this through.
Trust me I am.

Nurse to San Jose is how you get around a 3rd team getting involved just to eat cap.

Nurse is not a 1/2D but he’s absolutely fine as a 3/4.

That being said Nurse retained to 6m probably brings back more assets.

The goal right now for San Jose is to get that cancerous contract permanently cut out.

You are taking a bad contract or giving away half of your return to sell salary cap.

You can’t face it both way. Sure maybe if EK was 30 years old.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Trust me I am.

Nurse to San Jose is how you get around a 3rd team getting involved just to eat cap.

The goal right now for San Jose is to get that cancerous contract permanently cut out.

You are taking a bad contract or giving away half of your return to sell salary cap.

Again, incorrect. The Sharks are perfectly content to keep his contract if nothing works out; they won't be needing that space by the time it ends. This is more about doing EK a favor and giving the Sharks better lottery odds.

Reactions: Mattb124

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
While it's technically true that San Jose could hold on to Karlsson because they don't need to use his cap space for anything else, they should want to use his cap space for other things. It doesn't make sense to not trade him for a perceived weak return when they could potentially receive assets for taking on other teams' cap dumps in the future.
For instance, they could receive an asset for taking on one year of Matt Murray, and another asset the next season, and so on and so forth.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Nothing has changed.

The Sharks are either gonna get 2 1sts and a high end prospect for EK65 or they're gonna keep him. Period.

Anyone who thinks they're getting him for less is delusional.

• Haha
Reactions: DRAGO 18

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
The only fact on this list of facts is three. The rest is subjective opinion. Some of it is pretty ridiculous like four since that's not what the same page report actually says. The other thing is that what you find reasonable for the Sharks to take what they can get was not something you specifically ever offered. You offered the Iginla deal which was a 1st and two college prospects that were not B prospects. I'm not worried about the Sharks' reputation. They're a bad team under new management needing a long time to rebuild. They've already moved three players who had requested a trade under this management. It's not a matter of will to get something done to move a player that wants to go elsewhere. It's about not getting ripped off in the process. A new GM like Grier has already traded two of his stars. If you're going to offer a shit deal like the Iginla deal for Karlsson while asking them to retain and eat cap dumps, you can kick rocks and move on but the reality is that Pittsburgh does need a player like Karlsson if they hope to get back into the playoffs next year that they missed. That's probably worth a lot more to their newly hired GM and their established stars to get done than adding a second first round pick that would be protected anyway.

You just need to admit that this game you're playing is largely bullshit posturing on your end. You just want to get the biggest bargain you can but that only goes so far if/when it actually gets completed. You're going to have to pay a lot more than a 1st and a couple nobodies like Pittsburgh did for Iginla. Grier's done enough for me to have confidence in him being willing to trade his stars and be able to take less to get it done as well but there's a limit to that.

Again, you just don't know what you're talking about.
Ok.

Since you seem to think I have no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to the behind the scenes business of hockey, let’s play a little game. I’ll pose 3 questions to you, and tell you my answer from all 3, and we will compare answers.

1) Have you ever played, in the show/ have any friends or even acquaintances who have?

2) Have you ever coached, scouted, or was in management in the NHL, or personally know anyone who is/was?

3) Have you ever worked with or are friends/acquaintances with an agent who represents players?

So…. My answer is yes to all 3. How many can you legitimately say yes to?

I’m simply trying to have a discussion about how the business of hockey works behind the scenes, and give you a little insight as to how each side is viewing this. Also, I’m trying to give you a glimpse as to how important EKs control of the situation actually is.
This league is a tough business for the every day player, but a guy like EK is going to push the buttons to get what HE wants. That is why the NMC and such are such a big thing to gain control for themselves. You have guys who are forced to sign entry level contracts…. Take Bedard for example. Look at what he is making. What if he takes a really bad hit and can’t play, he never gets his big deal…. That’s why when they reach the stage of being able to get control, they sieze it.

I will say that I don’t know EK personally, so he may have some indifference on where he goes, but from the few teams that have had said they have interest, Pittsburgh is apparently the destination of choice. I’m not friends with Dubas so I can’t confirm, but if true, I’m sure he knows as well.
So, once again, for those who are a little slow…. Every single fact I posted prior still stands no matter if it’s what you want to hear or not!

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The Sharks fans on here seem to have forgotten about the Burns trade. There will be no massive haul taking place here.

Burns was 38, is clearly declining, and wanted out to try and win a Cup elsewhere in what is likely his last 2 seasons before retirement. None of which are the case with EK65.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Trust me I am.

There's not a chance in hell that Darnell Nurse is approving any trade to San Jose.

Ok.

Since you seem to think I have no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to the behind the scenes business of hockey, let’s play a little game. I’ll pose 3 questions to you, and tell you my answer from all 3, and we will compare answers.

1) Have you ever played, in the show/ have any friends or even acquaintances who have?

2) Have you ever coached, scouted, or was in management in the NHL, or personally know anyone who is/was?

3) Have you ever worked with or are friends/acquaintances with an agent who represents players?

So…. My answer is yes to all 3. How many can you legitimately say yes to?

I’m simply trying to have a discussion about how the business of hockey works behind the scenes, and give you a little insight as to how each side is viewing this. Also, I’m trying to give you a glimpse as to how important EKs control of the situation actually is.
This league is a tough business for the every day player, but a guy like EK is going to push the buttons to get what HE wants. That is why the NMC and such are such a big thing to gain control for themselves. You have guys who are forced to sign entry level contracts…. Take Bedard for example. Look at what he is making. What if he takes a really bad hit and can’t play, he never gets his big deal…. That’s why when they reach the stage of being able to get control, they sieze it.

I will say that I don’t know EK personally, so he may have some indifference on where he goes, but from the few teams that have had said they have interest, Pittsburgh is apparently the destination of choice. I’m not friends with Dubas so I can’t confirm, but if true, I’m sure he knows as well.
So, once again, for those who are a little slow…. Every single fact I posted prior still stands no matter if it’s what you want to hear or not!
Playing the have you played bro card doesn't change your opinions to facts no matter how hard you try. You can be Wayne Gretzky as a player and end up Wayne Gretzky as a coach. That is just if I believe you at your word in terms of credentials of which I have no reason to do so. If your premise hinges on this notion you have that Pittsburgh is his destination of choice then you need to reexamine your view here because there's a difference between being willing to waive your NMC for a place and actually making a choice. Karlsson has made no such choice. He has only informed Grier of the places he's willing to go to. You've assumed Karlsson's choice has been made when that simply isn't the case and that the team has no recourse. If that were accurate in any measurable way, we'd have seen an actual trade completed but it's not the case.

Reactions: Borgir

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Nothing has changed.

The Sharks are either gonna get 2 1sts and a high end prospect for EK65 or they're gonna keep him. Period.

Anyone who thinks they're getting him for less is delusional.
San Jose isn’t getting that and if they don’t trade him, it will be piss poor asset management.

Sure they can trade him at the deadline or next offseason, but they aren’t getting anywhere close to what he would get in a trade today.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad