LeBrun: Sharks & Karlsson ''on same page'' to try and get a trade done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
4 more years at 11.5 per….be ready to retain as most teams who will want him are not going to have much room to fit him in unless another big contract goes back.
I expect something in the range of $5mx2 coming back and a bit of retention, but if Orlov thinks he can get 8... who knows what is going to happen here.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
4 more years at 11.5 per….be ready to retain as most teams who will want him are not going to have much room to fit him in unless another big contract goes back.
If the sharks get a decent return for him then I have no problems taking back a shorter term anchor in the process.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Takes two to tango on this. It's understandable why a team would balk at the contract but retention will soften that landing for them. It's whether they're willing to actually fork over real assets to get something done. It's not as if Edmonton's offer was all that great to begin with and I'm sure the Sharks will still end up landing a similar deal anyway.

Gallagher + Edmundson + 31

Doubt Gallagher waives though
Karlsson wants to compete. I can't imagine he waives for Montreal right now.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Takes two to tango on this. It's understandable why a team would balk at the contract but retention will soften that landing for them. It's whether they're willing to actually fork over real assets to get something done. It's not as if Edmonton's offer was all that great to begin with and I'm sure the Sharks will still end up landing a similar deal anyway.

What was the Oilers offer?

I do think Karlsson would waive for Montreal. He loved being in Ottawa and he had a fun rivalry with Subban in those days. RHD is Montreal's biggest hole and allstar level EK could get them into the playoffs, especially if they add PLD and a goalie as well.

Guhle-Karlsson
Matheson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Harris-Kovacevic

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What was the Oilers offer?

I do think Karlsson would waive for Montreal. He loved being in Ottawa and he had a fun rivalry with Subban in those days. RHD is Montreal's biggest hole and allstar level EK could get them into the playoffs, especially if they add PLD and a goalie as well.

Guhle-Karlsson
Matheson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Harris-Kovacevic
Depends on what you believe but it was thrown out there that an offer was Bouchard, Bourgault, Puljujarvi, Barrie, and a 1st for Karlsson with retention. I'm not convinced that Montreal is ready for that sort of attempt but I'd be willing to move him there if Montreal was willing to part with something worthwhile and Karlsson was willing. For me, I'm only dealing with who Karlsson would approve going to. Last thing the Sharks need is a lingering Karlsson thing after the season he had. He's earned a trade off the team and the Sharks need to make it work even if it means taking less than expected.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Depends on what you believe but it was thrown out there that an offer was Bouchard, Bourgault, Puljujarvi, Barrie, and a 1st for Karlsson with retention. I'm not convinced that Montreal is ready for that sort of attempt but I'd be willing to move him there if Montreal was willing to part with something worthwhile and Karlsson was willing. For me, I'm only dealing with who Karlsson would approve going to. Last thing the Sharks need is a lingering Karlsson thing after the season he had. He's earned a trade off the team and the Sharks need to make it work even if it means taking less than expected.

Oh I think the Sharks should have taken that. I don't know if Montreal has any appealing pieces for a swap like that, I thought the framework would be a couple less significant cap dumps and a couple good pieces.

Pulju and Barrie both only had 1 year left, so wouldn't have impacted the Sharks cap long term. Bouchard, Bourgault, and a 1st is a good package on its own.

EDIT: I thought you said "no retention" but point still stands as long as it was like 15% and not 50%

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Like...Sharks need a full rebuild. They should just retain half and get a monster package. That cap is gonna be pretty useless for them the next few years anyway.

Tough sell to get an owner to spend 20 million on nothing over the next 4 years

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Bouchard just put up 17 points in 12 playoff games, and is an RFA in need of a new contract

Unless the Sharks are willing to take back Campbell, Ceci, and Yamamoto as part of the deal, I'm not sure the Oilers should be in on Karlsson

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

But how much would they retain?

Even if they dropped it to say 9 million that's still A LOT of money considering he has 4 years left.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think 50% retention has to be on the table here, doesn't it?

Karlsson at 6M per year

For

Ceci
Yamamoto
2024 1st round pick
2023 2nd round pick
Xavier Bourgault

This is of course considering that San Jose isn't going to try to wait out suitors until the deadline of course.

Edmonton's Blueline

Nurse - Karlsson
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Broberg/Desharnais

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

There is no chance SJ declined that offer if true.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If San Jose likes 2 players likely at 4, they could use this to move back with the Habs retaining on Karlsson. Stiff price, but if the Habs like someone that much...

Habs have 1 retention spot left before they reset at June 30th/July 1st

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad