LeBrun: Sharks & Karlsson ''on same page'' to try and get a trade done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The Penguins sure aren't gonna hang his 65 jersey when he retires because he sure isn't going there.

Unless you pony up 2 1sts and a high end prospect. One of Pickering or Yager would do.

Until then, stay mad.
You figure Karlsson is suiting up in a Sharks jersey this season?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What did I say… I said he may be indifferent to more places to go BUT of the PLACES INTERESTED, that is apparently his pick.

Whatever nevermind… I’ll just agree with you guys…. I don’t know how any of this works. You guys can fill me in and I’ll just go with it.

Good Day
There is no apparent pick is the point. That's never been established even a little bit. You can't get your knickers in a twist because you can't demonstrate the things you say and someone pushes back. But yeah, you played before so that means something right?

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
It's pretty telling that you need to say this to me when all you ever had to do to show a shred of credibility in what you said was to demonstrate something in any sort of tangible way. You can't demonstrate that Karlsson chose anyone much less Pittsburgh as an example.
He’s not going to come out and say anything in the press…. He’s not going to screw his team that is trying to move him….. players don’t come out and say to the press “I want to be traded to Toronto”. They may talk to friends and tell them that they want to go to a certain team, and those rumblings get around to the right people behind closed doors.

During the Trade deadline deal of Iginla, everyone in the media had Boston getting him… then the night before deadline day, someone on the Pens board made an account and said Iginla to Pittsburgh was a lock because he wasn’t waiving anywhere else……. It was never reported anywhere, but sure as shit, the Pens got him, and Boston’s GM said that he was told he had a deal, but in the end the player chose to use his NMC.

We also knew that Jordan Staal wanted to play with his brother in Carolina… all he said was he wanted to go to a place for a bigger role… but we all knew Carolina was it.

But anyhow, you are right. I don’t know anything, and you can fill me in on what’s going to happen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well to be fair the Sharks have never been gifted generational talents. Much less multiple

Edit: before you ask yes 2016 still is a terrible year for sharks hockey memories

The Sharks have a generational talent defenseman in Karlsson and they've missed the playoffs in 3 of 4 years with him.

Also, Thornton wasn't as good as Crosby but he's not much worse, if at all, than Malkin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Are Penguins fans going into unrelated threads of new teams where Hextall is the GM to tell their fans how much Hextall sucks, while providing no quality of comment beyond that?

I clearly said the Pens are not getting Karlsson without overpaying.

Karlsson would be the best player on Pittsburgh today. Pens fans need to lose the delusion they're getting them for a 2nd round pick and a 4th line forward.

No, a 36+ Malkin and Crosby are not carrying this team. If they could, they would have been able to beat a tanking Chicago for a playoff spot, they got blown out.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yes, you totally just said "the Penguins are not getting Karlsson without overpaying". You didn't make any snide comments about your old GM at all.

I'm being realistic. I know Dubas better than you, I'm just setting realistic expectations for you.

He will bring out his thesaurus and use uncoventional words, if you're into that stuff.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I clearly said the Pens are not getting Karlsson without overpaying.

Karlsson would be the best player on Pittsburgh today. Pens fans need to lose the delusion they're getting them for a 2nd round pick and a 4th line forward.

No, a 36+ Malkin and Crosby are not carrying this team. If they could, they would have been able to

I have yet to see this.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think any Penguins fan I've seen in here is thinking that Karlsson won't bring back substantial value. I think pretty much every Penguins fan is happy with paying at least Ty Smith, a B prospect and a 2024 1st for him. It may not be enough for what Sharks fans want, but I think any Penguins fan that wants Karlsson is willing to pay that price for Karlsson.

The arguments come into play when you start adding another 1st or adding a guy like Pickering. I would go as high as Pickering, a lottery protected 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st based on team success in terms of futures value for Karlsson, as long as that includes cap going out from the Penguins and Karlsson coming in at $8.5 million or less. I'd personally want him to be coming in at $7.5 million with that much going out, but I could stomach $8.5 million instead.

There aren't any Penguins fans who think Karlsson for a 4th liner and a 2nd is realistic.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I never claimed that I knew how it all works. You've been doing that and providing no reason why anyone should believe that you do.
And I’m not going to tell you specifics that I would know at any time. Because, like you said I don’t know shit, so im going to agree with you. Some old time Pens board guys who have been around a while know some things that I’ve shared with them via DM in the past. But im not going to run here and say this is what is going to happen, and this is who told me, yada yada.

So once again, you are right. I don’t know anything… we’ll just have to see how it all plays out.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Boughner was also stupid enough to put Burns on PP1 over Karlsson. Would Sullivan make that same mistake? I doubt it.
Last season they were both on the sharks 21-22 EK65 played more MPG than Burns.

Burns also played one and half more MPG at ES than EK did that season.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Ok.

Since you seem to think I have no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to the behind the scenes business of hockey, let’s play a little game. I’ll pose 3 questions to you, and tell you my answer from all 3, and we will compare answers.

1) Have you ever played, in the show/ have any friends or even acquaintances who have?

2) Have you ever coached, scouted, or was in management in the NHL, or personally know anyone who is/was?

3) Have you ever worked with or are friends/acquaintances with an agent who represents players?

So…. My answer is yes to all 3. How many can you legitimately say yes to?

I’m simply trying to have a discussion about how the business of hockey works behind the scenes, and give you a little insight as to how each side is viewing this. Also, I’m trying to give you a glimpse as to how important EKs control of the situation actually is.
This league is a tough business for the every day player, but a guy like EK is going to push the buttons to get what HE wants. That is why the NMC and such are such a big thing to gain control for themselves. You have guys who are forced to sign entry level contracts…. Take Bedard for example. Look at what he is making. What if he takes a really bad hit and can’t play, he never gets his big deal…. That’s why when they reach the stage of being able to get control, they sieze it.

I will say that I don’t know EK personally, so he may have some indifference on where he goes, but from the few teams that have had said they have interest, Pittsburgh is apparently the destination of choice. I’m not friends with Dubas so I can’t confirm, but if true, I’m sure he knows as well.
So, once again, for those who are a little slow…. Every single fact I posted prior still stands no matter if it’s what you want to hear or not!
1. I’ve played in the MLB for 3 teams for 5 years and another 6 minor league teams for 4 years. MLB and NHL are surprisingly similar as they are the two professional leagues that rely highly upon minor professional leagues where the players can be grossly underpaid.

2. NHL wise my cousin Cody Franson played NHL for Nashville Toronto Buffalo with one short stint in Chicago and then was a castaway blackisted to KHL or European leagues.

3. I had my own agent who did next to F all for me besides raking 11.5% of my professional salary and 15% of my signing bonus.

This is why I am telling all of you.

Winning a Stanley cup is literally something these players are not even thinking about.

The fans thinks of it.

The owners think of it.

The players numerous uno is job security and job tenure combined with your salary.

When you’re first coming up you’re heavily expected to make life work based upon signing bonus money.

Minor pro sports aka “bus leagues” are really impossibly difficult to bare. This is why you see the AHL schedule being quite a mess.

I also feel this is why many many middle6 and specifically 4th line players they’d be joyed to take a 4year or even 6year deal at just $1.5 to $2.25m.

The next thing we all think about is the players association pension plan. For the majority of players they won’t earn a lot outside of pro sports life.

This is why I’m a big proponent of NCAA as you can get at least 2-3 years or your full education completed and not be screwd if pro sports fail which for 96% of NCAA D1 kids they simply won’t make it.

If as players we have the luxury to choose where we want to play we absolutely do.

I think you all think UFA players regardless of the sport have a dozen or more options to choose from a contract.

Reality is half the time your agent will approach teams telling the executive management you are interested in playing for them to see if they would have interest.

One such example was Johnny Gaudreau. Player approached the team not the other way around which is why the reduced salary. The player took less money to call where he wanted to play.

Unfortunately usually only top tier pros get to decide such things.

Last on the list.

You want to win and hoist a championship. Quite honestly this has more to do with just happening to be in the right team at the right time.

Winning is an absolute privilege and you must always place your team first.

There are not just dozens but hundreds of office personnel and trainers that work with you that you must treat with absolute respect.

Now again this is why I also politely have said Indont think Brad Treliving is as ever a good fit as an NHL executive.

He Blurred being a no talent hockey player in the ECHL with believing this made him understand hockey.

Fact is his daddy’s success let him take risks to get where he is.

I look at his moves with the flames and I have to question why so many people say he’s a good GM.

I case none are aware he’s also interested in acquiring EK for the Leafs.

He won’t take risk on picks or give up what’s. needed to get the player they want.

Any GM who accepts BPA is a tool.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Last season they were both on the sharks 21-22 EK65 played more MPG than Burns.

Burns also played one and half more MPG at ES than EK did that season.

Cool. I watched every game and Burns was on PP1. Both got some PK time.

Also, Karlsson just showed what he can do when he’s given reigns.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Winning a Stanley cup is literally something these players are not even thinking about.

He's literally on record saying he wants to go to a contending team to try to win.

Reactions: bert

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Alex Newhook (0.37 ppg) was worth 1st, 2nd, and a prospect unsigned.

That's because the Habs love overpaying for players, doesn't make it worth it.

The Habs paid a 1st and 2nd for Dvorak. Does anyone actually believe he's worth that?

Reactions: Gecklund

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
That's because the Habs love overpaying for players, doesn't make it worth it.

The Habs paid a 1st and 2nd for Dvorak. Does anyone actually believe he's worth that?

Entirely different management teams. This would be like saying the Leafs paid Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel. Completely irrelevant comment.

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad