LeBrun: Sharks & Karlsson ''on same page'' to try and get a trade done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
San Jose isn’t getting that and if they don’t trade him, it will be piss poor asset management.

Sure they can trade him at the deadline or next offseason, but they aren’t getting anywhere close to what he would get in a trade today.

keeping a 101 point Defenseman that just won the Norris is "poor asset management"

f***ing L O L.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nothing has changed.

The Sharks are either gonna get 2 1sts and a high end prospect for EK65 or they're gonna keep him. Period.

Anyone who thinks they're getting him for less is delusional.

Okay so you're going to keep him.

Good talk.

Burns was 38, is clearly declining, and wanted out to try and win a Cup elsewhere in what is likely his last 2 seasons before retirement. None of which are the case with EK65.

Karlsson has explicitly said that he wants to go try to win a cup and leave San Jose.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That would be the preferred option over all the trash proposals I've seen for him over the summer.

Okay, so you'll get to keep Karlsson for 4 years, get no sort of futures back for him and have no help for your rebuild going forward.

Way better of an outcome than to get the "trash proposals" for a rebuilding team!

Reactions: DRAGO 18

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
If you are expecting 3 1sts, prepare to be disappointed when the trade goes through.
I'm not expecting 3 firsts, which is why I think this is a hard trade to pull off for Pitt. Pitt is so hard against the cap with a tonne on NMC contracts trying to get a player with a massive cost 4 year contract where the opposing side has said they will do only limited retention and they want a good return.

There are several road blocks here and they all will cost to move ......

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Every single source that I have seen that claims this was said has turned out to be 100% Fake News. Like CNN levels of Fake News.

It's literally a direct quote from Karlsson.

"“I'm the best when you need to be the best. But if I don't have the chance to get to the place where you need to play the big games, then I might as well not do it. I could go through 82 games a year and be good, but I want to play when it matters,” Karlsson said.

“In the stage of my career, that's what I'm looking for. And there's no particular team [in mind]. Whenever it comes down to it, I'm gonna look at all the teams and be like: ‘I think this is the winning team.’ That's not to say we're going to win, but I think this is where I can have the most impact.”"

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Nothing has changed.

The Sharks are either gonna get 2 1sts and a high end prospect for EK65 or they're gonna keep him. Period.

Anyone who thinks they're getting him for less is delusional.
You will take Philly's 2nd in 2024, and you will like it.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
There's not a chance in hell that Darnell Nurse is approving any trade to San Jose.

Playing the have you played bro card doesn't change your opinions to facts no matter how hard you try. You can be Wayne Gretzky as a player and end up Wayne Gretzky as a coach. That is just if I believe you at your word in terms of credentials of which I have no reason to do so. If your premise hinges on this notion you have that Pittsburgh is his destination of choice then you need to reexamine your view here because there's a difference between being willing to waive your NMC for a place and actually making a choice. Karlsson has made no such choice. He has only informed Grier of the places he's willing to go to. You've assumed Karlsson's choice has been made when that simply isn't the case and that the team has no recourse. If that were accurate in any measurable way, we'd have seen an actual trade completed but it's not the case.
What did I say… I said he may be indifferent to more places to go BUT of the PLACES INTERESTED, that is apparently his pick.

Whatever nevermind… I’ll just agree with you guys…. I don’t know how any of this works. You guys can fill me in and I’ll just go with it.

Good Day

Apr 9, 2009
USA
keeping a 101 point Defenseman that just won the Norris is "poor asset management"

f***ing L O L.

Is he going to help the Sharks win a cup? If not, then yes, it is poor asset management. There's a reason that teams throwing in the towel trade their most valuable assets (outside prospects and picks). It's to get prospects that won't be too old and too expensive to help win a cup by the time they are ready to compete.

I'm not commenting on the value part. And I understand keeping him if the value gets too low. I think the Sharks can get some good stuff back, personally. Just not two 1sts and a high end prospect. I think other teams will also agree that you can keep him for that.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

It's literally a direct quote from Karlsson.

"“I'm the best when you need to be the best. But if I don't have the chance to get to the place where you need to play the big games, then I might as well not do it. I could go through 82 games a year and be good, but I want to play when it matters,” Karlsson said.

“In the stage of my career, that's what I'm looking for. And there's no particular team [in mind]. Whenever it comes down to it, I'm gonna look at all the teams and be like: ‘I think this is the winning team.’ That's not to say we're going to win, but I think this is where I can have the most impact.”"

Nothing in that quote can be broken down to "I'm done here in SJ and want to win a Cup somewhere else."

Just generic "I'm a player and will do whatever it takes no matter where I play".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nothing in that quote can be broken down to "I'm done here in SJ and want to win a Cup somewhere else."

Just generic "I'm a player and will do whatever it takes no matter where I play".

He literally explicitly said "I want to go play for a team who will play meaningful games".

He said in that article that he likes San Jose and wants this to work out for everyone, but he explicitly said that he wants to try to win as he's getting up there in age.

From that article:

“Would it be nice to get [the trade] done tomorrow? Yeah, of course. I have a family of four. We have a house in San Jose. It'll be way more smoother if it gets done earlier.

“But at the same time, it’s not like I'm unhappy in San Jose. I like it. My family likes it. That’s where our kids were born. We’re well situated. Jumbo’s back. We're good friends with him and his family. Patty's back. We're good friends. We're fine there.

“The decision, I hope, whenever it gets done, it's going to be the right one. And however long that takes, it's going to take. I hope that San Jose gets what they want.

“I want everybody to be happy. That's the bottom line.”

He very clearly wants to go elsewhere to try to win the cup. He's being very workable with it and he's not pounding on the table to get traded today, but he clearly wants to be traded.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
While it's technically true that San Jose could hold on to Karlsson because they don't need to use his cap space for anything else, they should want to use his cap space for other things. It doesn't make sense to not trade him for a perceived weak return when they could potentially receive assets for taking on other teams' cap dumps in the future.
For instance, they could receive an asset for taking on one year of Matt Murray, and another asset the next season, and so on and so forth.
I hope you're not suggesting the Sharks take a bad deal on Karlsson in order to pick up middling picks for cap dumps

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Is he going to help the Sharks win a cup?

yes2.png

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
My guess is SJ retains $3 million (26%), takes Granlund+1st+, and Petry goes to a 3rd team not on his no-trade list. SJ is likely on Petry's no trade-list. Not sure if it will be a third team or a different deal altogether. But if Karlsson comes to Pittsburgh it makes no sense to pay a guy 6.25mil for 3rd line RD mins. Petry will be gone, just not sure if it will be to San Jose.
Agree. But whats the cost to move Petry? My guess is something substantial like a 1st. Two more years left on that contract, and if his NMC leaves teams with little to no cap space (80% of the league). Teams with the cap space? Ducks, Sharks, Coyotes, Chicago, Nashville, Buffalo, Detroit (leaving out a few with just enough room but a major signing required like Seattle/Dunn). All non playoff team that could easily be on his NT list. Detroit I suspect would not be on the list, but Raymond and Seider due for new contracts next year they are likely not interested.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Dubas is going to land a talent or two to help them. Throwing all eggs in Karlsson prevents that. I don’t thing the Pens or Canes are going to change their offers.
You are correct. Waddell already said that he was just looking to get EK on the cheap.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The Penguins sure aren't gonna hang his 65 jersey when he retires because he sure isn't going there.

Unless you pony up 2 1sts and a high end prospect. One of Pickering or Yager would do.

Until then, stay mad.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
The Penguins sure aren't gonna hang his 65 jersey when he retires because he sure isn't going there.

Unless you pony up 2 1sts and a high end prospect. One of Pickering or Yager would do.

Until then, stay mad.
Dubas and the front office reading your post….

1689727385250.gif

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The Sharks fans on here seem to have forgotten about the Burns trade. There will be no massive haul taking place here.
Karlsson will be younger at the end of his current contract than Burns was when he was traded. Just because they both won the Norris playing for the Sharks does not make them have the same value.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
There are "hard truths" both ways here. Some are taking it way too personal.

But, in the end, I hope Karlsson gets his wishes. No matter what team it is. I'll also hope San Jose gets the best return they can.

Knowing what we all know, hard or not, it will not sway me from Karlsson watch 2023.

This is getting into recycle mode, if it hasn't, already. I have spoken my piece of the pie.

Peace.

Reactions: Grinner

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Until then, stay mad.

Even if he did come here, there would be zero chance his jersey would get retired by the Penguins anyway.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Karlsson will be younger at the end of his current contract than Burns was when he was traded. Just because they both won the Norris playing for the Sharks does not make them have the same value.

I don't think they have "similar" value, but the Burns situation absolutely showed the massive impact of value that the flat cap has on players. The point of bringing up that comparison isn't to say "Karlsson is only bringing back a 3rd round pick", it's to bring up how the flat cap is going to absolutely neuter any sort of value Karlsson has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DRAGO 18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad