Pre-Game Talk: SENS in the (US) Capital, Wed. 7:00 pm on SportsNet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Hopefully he doesn't. His job is to sign the cheques and leave hockey decisions to hockey people. I don't want it to be the final confirmation that my hockey team's owner is the senile Al Davis of the NHL.

Melnyk got rid of Cameron. Remember when he finally admitted it ate at his craw all season when Cameron started O'Connor over Anderson in the home opener and they lost. It's his money.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Melnyk got rid of Cameron. Remember when he finally admitted it hate at his craw all season when Cameron started O'Connor over Anderson in the home opener and they lost. It's his money.

It is his money. That's why I said he signs the cheques. And I do remember the interview he gave, how could one forget. Pretty sure my frustration with that interview is what drove me to create this account in fact. Fact is Melnyk needs to stay in his lane when it comes to that type of thing. Look at Robert Kraft in the NFL as an example of how hands off ownership can benefit a team.

He can decide to be Robert Kraft or Al Davis. I know which road I want him to take.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It is his money. That's why I said he signs the cheques. And I do remember the interview he gave, how could one forget. Pretty sure my frustration with that interview is what drove me to create this account in fact. Fact is Melnyk needs to stay in his lane when it comes to that type of thing. Look at Robert Kraft in the NFL as an example of how hands off ownership can benefit a team.

He can decide to be Robert Kraft or Al Davis. I know which road I want him to take.
Yeah but he has the pockets and temperment of Al Davis, not either of Kraft.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
If I'm Boucher I rest Karlsson for a few games and go with Phaneuf-Ceci-Claesson-Chabot-Oduya-Harpur. He clearly can't skate well at the moment. Forget his defensive struggles, he's been unable to drive the offense like he usually does, and that's been a big detriment to the team considering his minute totals. When he first got back he was okay and putting up a ton of points, but his foot is looking worse and worse every game. I've never seen him unable to get point shots through before, which is a huge red flag.

Reactions: DrEasy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Agreed.

I do think this team has more than enough good players for it not to be considered "not good" without God-mode Karlsson though.
I agree. But we need to set that up. Gotta have a decent PP and we gotta get a consistent top 6 rolling while we decrease Karlsson's role and elevate guys like Harpur and Chabot. People may not like this, but maybe we have to become a run and gun team that scores 5 a game to bail out this goaltending, if only temporarily. Go back to the 1-3-1 as a curveball later in the season.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

The owner may not stick his fingers in every day game decisions as to who dresses or plays etc... but his money is more than just about signing checks. It's an investment. If the product goes downhill he can lose millions. As a single owner he has a vested interest in the success of the team finances and the on ice product will affect that.

It's not like that everywhere but in Ottawa there are no shareholders or CEO or board of governors over the team. The GM reports directly to the owner. If Melnyk doesn't like the direction of the team he calls the GM in and asks for an explanation and corrective plans. If he's not satisfied heads roll. If he wants the coach gone he's gone. If the GM resists he's gone too. It's that simple. Not saying it will happen but Melnyk should be making that call soon to find out what Dorion has in his back pocket and then let him put his own head in the noose if it doesn't work.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
The owner may not stick his fingers in every day game decisions as to who dresses or plays etc... but his money is more than just about signing checks. It's an investment. If the product goes downhill he can lose millions. As a single owner he has a vested interest in the success of the team finances and the on ice product will affect that.

It's not like that everywhere but in Ottawa there are no shareholders or CEO or board of governors over the team. The GM reports directly to the owner.
If Melnyk doesn't like the direction of the team he calls the GM in and asks for an explanation and corrective plans. If he's not satisfied heads roll. If he wants the coach gone he's gone. If the GM resists he's gone too. It's that simple. Not saying it will happen but Melnyk should be making that call soon to find out what Dorion has in his back pocket and then let him put his own head in the noose if it doesn't work.

That's the way it worked with Belichick and Robert Kraft. And that's the way it worked with whatever Coach Oakland had, and Al Davis (bit different in that scenario since Davis was pretty much the GM too). My point still stands, that Melnyk needs to maintain a careful balance.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Jesus calm the f*** down people, its just a slump and other teams are good.

new Ottawa Senators star Gabriel Dumont is in next game everything will be ok.

Mika Zibanejad with 22pts in 22 games btw.

k bye.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
That's the way it worked with Belichick and Robert Kraft. And that's the way it worked with whatever Coach Oakland had, and Al Davis (bit different in that scenario since Davis was pretty much the GM too). My point still stands, that Melnyk needs to maintain a careful balance.

Melnyk didn't become a multi millionaire because he's a financial idiot. He lost millions too because he took risks in other enterprises. This is no different. I doubt he'd be foolish enough to mess with the on ice product directly by questioning who plays and who doesn't but if he asked Dorion if the problem is the players or the coaching what would Dorion answer? Dorion hired the coach and had a hand in acquiring most of these players. It would be an interesting conversation. In the end Melnyk won't pay more than he has to for extras but if the losses at the gate mount up to more than the cost of paying 2 coaches or 2 GMs then I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. In some cities it's a CEO/COO or a President who does the dirty work of cleaning house. In Ottawa like it or not that job falls on the owner.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Melnyk got rid of Cameron. Remember when he finally admitted it ate at his craw all season when Cameron started O'Connor over Anderson in the home opener and they lost. It's his money.
Yeah and it was somehow the reason we had a bad season. Just another one of his excuses, along with "Who starts the season in California?".

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Jesus calm the **** down people, its just a slump and other teams are good.

new Ottawa Senators star Gabriel Dumont is in next game everything will be ok.

Mika Zibanejad with 22pts in 22 games btw.

k bye.

Your obsession with a hockey player who you will never meet past a greeting is unhealthy.

Reactions: Mika Hoffmanijad

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Sometimes I wonder how it would be to have a redo going back to a time before the decision to hire a new GM.

I miss Mika

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He went from "Wow looks like he's getting in shape this offseason. Could be a breakout year" (summer 2016) to "We all know he wouldn't have played like that here".

But you can't discuss it without someone telling you to move on.

That's what's killing me with this trade.

We knew Zibanejad had his best summer of training since he was staying in Ottawa for the entire sumer to work with Chris Schwarz (First time he did that) and before we even get to see how he developped ... We trade him...

Doesn't make sense.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
200 IQ play. Big Brain
There was definitely luck involved on that one. He has definitely stepped it up since moving onto the Rangers though. It will always be a fascinating question though on whether him getting to the next level was a result of him making that commitment two offseasons ago to be in better shape or if it was getting a kick in the *** and fitting better into the environment the Rangers have. Or maybe it's not a question of one or the other, could be both. Folks on this board always seem to think it's one or the other, why not both?

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad