Sens Arena in Lebreton Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Hopefully there's no new sports arena... the city needs to move the focus away from the overwhelming emphasis on sports.

How about something cultural? We must be one of the only capital cities in the western world without a contemporary art museum. How about something to do with nature? Something for the mind. Not sports.

We do its called the National Art Gallery as for nature we have so much most of its not used as it should be Ottawa has a emphasis on the arts far more then sports.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This is why Ottawa is called the city that fun forgot.

The only people who say that are snotty idiots from Montreal and Toronto who think that the only way to have fun is to spend a ton of money going to expensive places, buying expensive drinks and talking to a bunch of pretentious dbags; also if you don't take a bunch of selfies and post a ton of instagram pics you didn't have fun because you would have documented it otherwise.

Ottawa is a fine city, plenty to see and do. Are there more things to do in large cities? Sure, of course there is, more people means more stuff to do. But this whole "Ottawa is boring" thing is ridiculous.

Karlsson2Turris*

Hopefully there's no new sports arena... the city needs to move the focus away from the overwhelming emphasis on sports.

How about something cultural? We must be one of the only capital cities in the western world without a contemporary art museum. How about something to do with nature? Something for the mind. Not sports.

You must be fun to be around.

Who cares about contemporary art? We have enough museums in this city already.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The only people who say that are snotty idiots from Montreal and Toronto who think that the only way to have fun is to spend a ton of money going to expensive places, buying expensive drinks and talking to a bunch of pretentious dbags; also if you don't take a bunch of selfies and post a ton of instagram pics you didn't have fun because you would have documented it otherwise.

Ottawa is a fine city, plenty to see and do. Are there more things to do in large cities? Sure, of course there is, more people means more stuff to do. But this whole "Ottawa is boring" thing is ridiculous.

If you ask those people why they think Ottawa is boring they can give you one example lack of nightlife that's it now most of these people are 18-25.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

The city refused to spend $50 million on the baseball stadium but had no issues spending $45 million on the arts court so this idea were to pro sports give me a break.

Karlsson2Turris*

The city refused to spend $50 million on the baseball stadium but had no issues spending $45 million on the arts court so this idea were to pro sports give me a break.

Baseball in Ottawa is what hockey is in Florida. It makes sense to reject a $50M baseball stadium because there is not a huge baseball fanbase in Ottawa.

But hockey is different, people are going to fill the rink no matter what.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Baseball in Ottawa is what hockey is in Florida. It makes sense to reject a $50M baseball stadium because there is not a huge baseball fanbase in Ottawa.

But hockey is different, people are going to fill the rink no matter what.

There is a fair size fanbase and you get a double a team that's the Jays farm team you would have big crowds likely avg 6000.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

1000x this.

Had this argument ad nauseum with an old friend who moved to Montreal and swears up and down Ottawa is so boring and Montreal's nightlife is unsurpassed.

Is the night life better? Yes probably it is by your definition,, but you're saying the definition of not boring and nightlife is yet another expensive poseur dance bar to blow all your money on expensive drinks, coke/X, and gratingly abnoxious club girls , with nothing to show for it other than an empty bank account, STDs, hangover and ****** instagram feed? Good for you man, but I totally disagree.

Last edited:

savoysuit

Apr 11, 2015

I should have known better than to suggest something other than sports around here.

When you think of major cities around the world... the attractions they hold for tourists.... is it "the sports arena" that's at the top of those lists? No. Ottawa can be so much more, but it's a very conservative attitude that holds it back.

It's not sports than defines the nature of complexion of a city. There's more to life.

For those saying the National Gallery is a Contemporary Art Gallery... it's not. It's a National Gallery.

For those talking about things like this "not being fun"... fun is subjective. Watching grown men chase a piece of rubber around the ice isn't fun all the time either.

Think about what those cities in the world that are considered "fun" have... and then think about how Ottawa compares in those areas.

savoysuit

Apr 11, 2015

The new arts court is better than what was there before... but it's still rather ridiculous. It should be bigger, and what's the deal with putting an apartment building on top of it? Embarrassing.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I would love a world class aquarium there.

They were going to put an aquarium in at Lansdowne but Clive Doucet and the Friends of Lansdowne poured scorn on the whole whole idea calling it a "fish tank" and they finally gave it up.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I should have known better than to suggest something other than sports around here.

When you think of major cities around the world... the attractions they hold for tourists.... is it "the sports arena" that's at the top of those lists? No. Ottawa can be so much more, but it's a very conservative attitude that holds it back.

It's not sports than defines the nature of complexion of a city. There's more to life.

For those saying the National Gallery is a Contemporary Art Gallery... it's not. It's a National Gallery.

For those talking about things like this "not being fun"... fun is subjective. Watching grown men chase a piece of rubber around the ice isn't fun all the time either.

Think about what those cities in the world that are considered "fun" have... and then think about how Ottawa compares in those areas.

You are on a sports fan forum so you shouldn't be so shocked that people want a sports venue there as it is an ideal place for it.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Fact is we have lots of arts things many would say some should be closed as there not used as they should be.

savoysuit

Apr 11, 2015
You are on a sports fan forum so you shouldn't be so shocked that people want a sports venue there as it is an ideal place for it.

True enough.

Fact is we have lots of arts things many would say some should be closed as there not used as they should be.

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but I agree that many of the arts things in Ottawa could be used better.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The new arts court is better than what was there before... but it's still rather ridiculous. It should be bigger, and what's the deal with putting an apartment building on top of it? Embarrassing.

The condo and hotel are needed to help fund it as the full cost is $150 million with arts groups not having money or not wanting to fund it there is no choice you need other things to help pay for it.

savoysuit

Apr 11, 2015
The condo and hotel are needed to help fund it as the full cost is $150 million with arts groups not having money or not wanting to fund it there is no choice you need other things to help pay for it.

Well that's sort of what I mean by embarrassing...

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

You do realize the people that go to Paris to visit the Louvre isn't going to Ottawa if they build a new museum or art gallery right?

There's only one Louvre in the world, just like there's only one Forbidden Palace and one Taj Mahal. They also happen to have history, which is something you can't create with a $500 million new building. Also, most "historical" buildings in the world today were built as the expense of the lower class, either slave labour or excessive taxation. Do you think Versailles could be built in any democratic country in the world today whatwith half the country going into starvation to have the tax revenue to pay for it? Maybe you want Canada to get it's own French Revolution for the sake of your "culture".

Last edited:

savoysuit

Apr 11, 2015
You do realize the people that go to Paris to visit the Louvre isn't going to Ottawa if they build a new museum or art gallery right?

There's only one Louvre in the world, just like there's only one Forbidden Palace and one Taj Mahal. They also happen to have history, which is something you can't create with a $500 million new building.

Right, so let's never change.

Let me guess-Friends of Lebreton?

Don't know what Friends of Lebreton is. (I don't currently live in Ottawa, so that might be why)

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Right, so let's never change.
Don't know what Friends of Lebreton is. (I don't currently live in Ottawa, so that might be why)

If you dont live in Ottawa and dont even know who the Friends of Lansdowne are that means you know nothing about what is happening in this city or what has happened for many years.

Why then are posting all these demands that there should not have a stadium at Lebreton?All your posts seem to be about the same thing.

savoysuit

Apr 11, 2015
savoysuit

Sure but it can be part of a complex that has a arena.

That would definitely be better than nothing.

I am skeptical than money would be used for something more, but you never know.

I just wish Ottawa could have some distinctive things that other capital cities have.

If you dont live in Ottawa and dont even know who the Friends of Lansdowne are that means you know nothing about what is happening in this city or what has happened for many years.

Why then are posting all these demands that there should not have a stadium at Lebreton?All your posts seem to be about the same thing.

Ottawa is my hometown and I've spent the majority of my life there, and I wish good things for it. Having lived in several cities around the world at this point, one starts to realize how things can be different if the mentality of those in charge was maybe just a bit more expansive.
I follow local news to a degree, but have not followed the Lebreton stuff closely. (I have heard of Friends of Landsdowne, but didn't know if there was something like that for Lebreton)

I should also say that I'm not opposed to a new stadium in Lebreton if other things are given priority as well... but history shows that is unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad