Sens Arena in Lebreton Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not sure how many of you are following things, but here a few tidbits to chew on…

- The NCC still has a huge parcel of land right by the war museum, and have opened it up for tender. Unlike in past, where the NCC typically had a firm vision for what they develop, they have left this more of a blank slate for proposals to suggest what they will, as long as it is a major national attraction of some sort. They have said they are open to this being a large multi-use arena to be used by a pro franchise (yeah, subtle)

- The Senators previously stated, when asked, that they were interested in hearing what their fans had to say on this location and the idea of a re-location. This is actually a big deal. They can’t obviously come outright and say, yeah, we’d love to move there, but if the fans all clamoured for the move, they could simply start exploring it as an option at the behest of their fans.

- The CTC has already been supposedly estimated to need between $200M- $300M in repairs in the coming years. This is also a BIG deal, and there will be no public money to offset these costs for Melynk. A new world class arena could be done for less than $500M most likely, and would obviously have local and provincial money available for the development.

- The CTC has already been supposedly estimated for a retro-fit to become a large indoor shopping mall. Suppedly it is well suited for such a retro-fit. Think of a BayShore of Kanata. Multi-level, lots of parking, right in the heart of other shopping and subdivisions on all sides.

So for Melnyk, he can likely get $100-$250M to offset the building of a new arena in Lebreton Flats over the next 10 years, and then also look to sell off the area and land in Kanata to a major real estate player who will retro-fit the CTC place into a new mall – perhaps pulling in another $50M. He then only has to pony up $200M or so for the new arena in a way better location that is several generations better than the current CTC place, all for the same amount of money just to main the current CTC place as is.

It’s a long-term move that will take years to finalize most likely, and a lot can happen to make the deal go sideways, but I’d say it’s 50/50 the Sens will be playing downtown in 10 years, versus Kanata.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Let's hope it happens. I didn't spend a lot of time in Ottawa but it seems like a perfect spot. Close to the half a million in Gatineau too

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Anything to make it closer to downtown. I visited Ottawa a few years ago to see a couple games. I was shocked when I got there to find out I had to get on a stuffed bus and leave the city to see the games.

Loved the city, hated the arena.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure how many of you are following things, but here a few tidbits to chew on…

- The NCC still has a huge parcel of land right by the war museum, and have opened it up for tender. Unlike in past, where the NCC typically had a firm vision for what they develop, they have left this more of a blank slate for proposals to suggest what they will, as long as it is a major national attraction of some sort. They have said they are open to this being a large multi-use arena to be used by a pro franchise (yeah, subtle)

- The Senators previously stated, when asked, that they were interested in hearing what their fans had to say on this location and the idea of a re-location. This is actually a big deal. They can’t obviously come outright and say, yeah, we’d love to move there, but if the fans all clamoured for the move, they could simply start exploring it as an option at the behest of their fans.

- The CTC has already been supposedly estimated to need between $200M- $300M in repairs in the coming years. This is also a BIG deal, and there will be no public money to offset these costs for Melynk. A new world class arena could be done for less than $500M most likely, and would obviously have local and provincial money available for the development.

- The CTC has already been supposedly estimated for a retro-fit to become a large indoor shopping mall. Suppedly it is well suited for such a retro-fit. Think of a BayShore of Kanata. Multi-level, lots of parking, right in the heart of other shopping and subdivisions on all sides.

So for Melnyk, he can likely get $100-$250M to offset the building of a new arena in Lebreton Flats over the next 10 years, and then also look to sell off the area and land in Kanata to a major real estate player who will retro-fit the CTC place into a new mall – perhaps pulling in another $50M. He then only has to pony up $200M or so for the new arena in a way better location that is several generations better than the current CTC place, all for the same amount of money just to main the current CTC place as is.

It’s a long-term move that will take years to finalize most likely, and a lot can happen to make the deal go sideways, but I’d say it’s 50/50 the Sens will be playing downtown in 10 years, versus Kanata.

SilverSevenSens did an article on possible future locations and mentioned 101 Colonel by, the current Science and Tech museum and 300 Coventry (the baseball stadium) as other possibilities.

I like Lebreton best, but man would 101 be a great location even if they couldn't do an underground parking.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
With that location you would still be taking stuffed buses. It would take even longer to leave the arena for both cars and buses.

Anybody using a downtown option as a solution to traffic and commute time obviously havent thought very much about trying to drive to Lebreton with 18000 other people.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa

Other financial things to keep in mind is reduced parking income and the increased cost of a parking structure to accommodate reduced space at Lebreton.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

We can dream, sadly after seeing how this city/province/country screws up most things money related it will likely be just that...a dream.

Love that spot and I would imagine most fans would be on board for this location

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With that location you would still be taking stuffed buses. It would take even longer to leave the arena for both cars and buses.

Anybody using a downtown option as a solution to traffic and commute time obviously havent thought very much about trying to drive to Lebreton with 18000 other people.

People are far more likely to bus (or OTrain) to Lebreton than Kanata. Lot's of people are willing to hop a quick bus downtown than go from the East end to Kanata by bus (not to mention there are far more bus options). Also, Traffic wouldn't all be going the same direction when leaving.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Other financial things to keep in mind is reduced parking income and the increased cost of a parking structure to accommodate reduced space at Lebreton.

A more central location likely would improve already strong walkup sales. I for one would not drive out to Kanata on a whim, but I might go to Lebreton.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Wheres the 200-300m refit figure coming from? Is the CTC really needing that level of work?

Personally have no clue, but it does seem to be in fairly good shape imo....i assumed it would be viable for the next 15-20 years before a new one was discussed.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

No buses. LRT will be right at the door step.
Also, there will be ZERO parking spots on the ground. Only underground parking for a couple of thousand cars.

If they come up with some neat building surrounded by park I would definitely support this.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Having an arena in downtown Ottawa can almost guarantee selling out every night, with higher ticket prices. thus leading to increase in spending.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
No buses. LRT will be right at the door step.
Also, there will be ZERO parking spots on the ground. Only underground parking for a couple of thousand cars.

If they come up with some neat building surrounded by park I would definitely support this.

Only going one way. There will still have to be buses, they would most likely need a setup similar to what the Redblacks are doing.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
A more central location likely would improve already strong walkup sales. I for one would not drive out to Kanata on a whim, but I might go to Lebreton.

Excellent point. I live in Gatineau and it would only be a 15 minutes drive from home. Normally if I want to go to a game I have to plan ahead and leave home 2 hours before because of the traffic and the location of CTC. I will go to a lot more games if I it happens!

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
But guys, I live in the suburbs of Kanata... moving locations would require me to travel more then 5 minutes to a game...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Having an arena in downtown Ottawa can almost guarantee selling out every night, with higher ticket prices. thus leading to increase in spending.

This arguable at best, but if there is an increase in ticket sales it might just go towards the cost of building a half a billion dollar structure.

Cashin

Sep 24, 2014
But guys, I live in the suburbs of Kanata... moving locations would require me to travel more then 5 minutes to a game...

Everyone has an agenda. As a Barrhavener I am content with the location of the Palladium. Realistically I do not see it moving anytime soon.

Logistically it would be a nightmare. Redblacks games have proven to me that Ottawa's downtown infrastructure is not suited to support stadiums and big venues. The parking at Palladium can handle full capacity, which is a huge plus for those of us who prefer to come and go on our own terms and not on the bus shuttles.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Everyone has an agenda. As a Barrhavener I am content with the location of the Palladium. Realistically I do not see it moving anytime soon.

I don't think its going to happen soon either. The lifespan of these buildings seems to be around 30 years nowadays, so within a decade i wouldn't be surprised to see them planning on building a new one. Of course if they can spend a quarter of the money to renovate and increase the lifespan that might make more sense.

Lebretton flats would be a nice spot, but I don't mind where it is now.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Only going one way. There will still have to be buses, they would most likely need a setup similar to what the Redblacks are doing.

At this point we are talking 8-10 years time frame here. No chance they can complete it sooner with all the planning, funding, transit, community issues.
If everything goes according to plan, in 10 years there will be proper LRT (not o-train, think TOR/MTL subway) going East, West & South.
Of course, without such large-scale transit plan whole project won't be happening. City definitely will not like Redblacks-like bussing scheme as a long-term solution.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
One question. Would Melnyk own the building and the parking lot?

One question, is he willing to spend what, roughly 400 million? to get a new stadium that can generate maybe 500 million? revenue over the next 30-35 years?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
At this point we are talking 8-10 years time frame here. No chance they can complete it sooner with all the planning, funding, transit, community issues.
If everything goes according to plan, in 10 years there will be proper LRT (not o-train, think TOR/MTL subway) going East, West & South.
Of course, without such large-scale transit plan whole project won't be happening. City definitely will not like Redblacks-like bussing scheme as a long-term solution.

I thought the current plan didn't have westbound LRT until 2034 or something like that. Knowing these things never happen early, I'd figure we are still at least 25 years from a LRT that spans the city East-West, North-South

Edit: Just saw you didn't mention West. Sorry about that.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Look at the redblacks games as examples. I'm back home much quicker after red blacks games vs sens games. This saying is overused but its not even close. Like at all. Red blacks games are a joy to leave the game. Sens games is a nightmare and a huge rush with no fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad