Sens Arena in Lebreton Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Am I the only one who would happily pay this for all the amenities the guy listed above? :(

Sure you wouldn't be able to afford that ginormous mcmansion in Stittsville, but the quality of life in Helsinki for all citizens is certainly better than in Ottawa. Excellent transit, great and beautiful institutions, healthcare benefits etc...

I gotta say I agree with a lot of points made; Ottawa suffers from a hideous downtown core (outside Parliament hill) --> big concrete boxes only the USSR could be proud of, lack of quality nightlife and the like.

I do agree we need the arena downtown though, I just think it should be arena + more impressive cultural stuff, like a new fancy concert hall or something architecturally marvelous.

National Arts Centre

Major upgrades and it will be a real nice looking build not like it is now

Arts district

The city is building a massive district around the arts court and Rideau centre

Arts Court

People seem to be downplaying the $150 million project saying bla its not good enough

New library

Its going to happen and it will be a great looking buildings

U of Ottawa

There new master plan will give much of downtown a huge reno

I am not sure what else people want.

sensR4real

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa
Clearly you have never seen the Paris skyline if you think this.

(for the record, that single tall building you see in the photo is called the Tour Montparnasse, at 59 floors it easily dwarfs every other building in Paris, who hated that building so much they set a building height limit for all future buildings at 121 feet - for reference, Tour Montparnasse stands at 689 feet tall)

alv10060700066_xgaplus.jpg

After tour montparnasse you have a small area in Paris district "la defense" which contains a dozen smallish buildings, every other building is 10 floors maximum. Paris is not a skyscraper city

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
After tour montparnasse you have a small area in Paris district "la defense" which contains a dozen smallish buildings, every other building is 10 floors maximum. Paris is not a skyscraper city

As is aid there is a new complex with the tallest being 86 floors.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
As is aid there is a new complex with the tallest being 86 floors.

Which, as is aid, is not in Paris proper.

Also: it's the first building of it's kind in almost 50 years in that area. I don't think this one building is the hill you need to die on as far as making a point is concerned.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Which, as is aid, is not in Paris proper.

Also: it's the first building of it's kind in almost 50 years in that area. I don't think this one building is the hill you need to die on as far as making a point is concerned.

The whole area if very compact its not like Ottawa.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Paris has a minimum of 64 buildings of 30 or more stories. That's not counting the Eiffel tower.
Paris has 14 buildings with at least 40 stories.

Its not new York, but its got tall buildings relative to Ottawa.

Google an imagine of Paris' skyline. The one you quoted with the 1 tall building isn't showing the downtown core. Other pictures on google show the cluster of 30-50 story buildings that make up the downtown core.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Well, Helsinki has 2 full symphony orchestras and 2 full scale concert halls. 5 large art museums (with a possible 6th on the way), numerous professional theatres, (the zoo you mentioned), a city museum that isn't just a small house (like the bytown), world class botanical gardens, museum of natural history (run by city and university), design museum, military museum, money museum, sport museum, (you get the point, there's lots of museums, I don't need to list them all) numerous professional world-renowned galleries, large amusement park, etc etc...(and even a subway system) ... It also has 300 000 less people than Ottawa.

Interestingly it doesn't come at the cost of sports facilities, as there are numerous small arena's, a full-size hockey arena, a full size olympic stadium, 400m tracks around the city for athletics, etc...

Ottawa could have so much more if taxpayer money was better spent, and the nation's natural resources weren't squandered. Canada should be one of the richest countries in the world when you consider its resources. Just where does all that money go... hmmm...

small point, but Ottawa doesn't see a significantly higher percentage of foreign tourists. It sees more tourists from within it's own country.

Architecture in Ottawa could be better if they didn't use every bit of great downtown real estate by building yet another expensive condo.... doesn't allow for so much creativity.

name the world class culture that ottawa has outside of the national gallery and nac?

(btw, I have nothing against a big arena being downtown or close to downtown... however it should have been there in the first place. Building it in the far reaches of Kanata was an idiotic idea)

That is exactly the point we've all been making(re the sports venue) and which you have been arguing against all this time.

If you are gong to list all the museums we also have a wonderful museum of natural history housed n a beautiful heritage building near downtown Ottawa, the Museum of History(formerly the Museum of man) in a gorgeous building just across the bridge from the NAG.

The War Museum is wonderful and is in Lebreton Flats in the same general area where we hope the new home of the Sens will be.

We have various theaters though the only professional theater is at the NAC.-There are couple of others in the city that also double as concert venues.

Does Helsinki really have several professional theaters? That sounds like a stretch.
Ottawa could not support several professional theaters and I have my doubts about Helsinki.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Okay, I went and took a look at the Helsinki tourism site and then compared it to the Ottawa tourism site. I don't exactly see much of a difference, other than the fact that Helsinki has a zoo (and a Castle - but that was built for the purpose of defense, which Ottawa never had reason to). Of course, Helsinki is also the largest city in Finland, and Ottawa isn't anywhere close. Do you know where the two largest zoos are in Canada? Toronto and Calgary, both which are larger cities than Ottawa.

So unless I'm missing something, I don't see how Ottawa lacks distinctive cultural locations compared to similar cities around the world.

(This is assuming Cathedrals and other religious buildings are not the responsibility of the city to build, because quite frankly, they aren't)

Ottawa is the 4th biggest city...ahead of Calgary.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_metropolitan_areas_in_Canada

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Look at the percentage of growth between 2006 and 2011. Then look at how close the two cities were, population-wise, in 2011. It's not unrealistic to think Calgary is the bigger city today.

Regardless, that's nitpicking the argument while glossing over the main point.

I wouldn't mind a zoo. :dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad