Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Pretty cool video and a reminder that we do have some kids ready to play in the NHL with some upside.

IMO the future does look bright with these four & let's add to that Brown who has #1 centre potential. He already has great size & reach & we know that he has good vision & is an excellent passer. All he needs is two good forwards to help him to produce top line pts. Batherson & Formenton have potential to be very good forwards for Ottawa soon & Ottawa should get at least one very good forward in the first round of this upcoming draft, if not two. And they have three good forwards if they hang on to them for a few more yrs in Hoffman, Duchene & Stone.

On defence they also have Englund, Jaros & Lajoie who could all turn into decent to very good defencemen for them & a potential #1 goalie in Gustavsson & a good 2nd goalie in Hogberg. Then there are a few role players who could be helpful in Paul, Gagne, Luchuk & maybe Perron & maybe someone else could surprise. The future seems bright enough to at least give us hope.

I imagine if Karlsson is traded, he'll be playing with a legit Dman as his partner...

That said, if he does stick with the team (crosses fingers) I think Chabot will be his partner, or Boro will. One option makes me happy, the other, not so much.
If Boro were to play with EK not only would EK feel somewhat protected but it would also give him the green light to attack offensively knowing he has a very good defensive defenceman back to protect his net & not have to worry about a rookie playing with him & whether he will be in the proper position.

IMO it makes a lot of sense 5 on 5 or when they are ahead in a hockey game to have EK & Boro together. Chabot with Ceci would be a pairing with a little more offence that teams would have to be aware of. Harpur has played the right side in Bingo which would allow Wolanin to play the left side & give that 3rd pairing much more mobility. EK gets enough pts for two players himself which would be fine with Boro as a partner & the other two pairings could increase their offensive production. Boro could play with Harpur on the PK with Ceci & Chabot as the 2nd pair.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Boro were to play with EK not only would EK feel somewhat protected but it would also give him the green light to attack offensively knowing he has a very good defensive defenceman back to protect his net & not have to worry about a rookie playing with him & whether he will be in the proper position.

I mean, you do remember what happened the last time Boro and Karlsson were paired together, right? Karlsson's offense was neutered all season till Methot came back. The pairing was not good together at all. I know Boro has developed a bit as a player, but history really doesn't support your position here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I mean, you do remember what happened the last time Boro and Karlsson were paired together, right? Karlsson's offense was neutered all season till Methot came back. The pairing was not good together at all. I know Boro has developed a bit as a player, but history really doesn't support your position here.

Well the other options on the left side are all rookies for the most part with the exception of Claesson. Chabot, Harpur & Wolanin don't even have one season under their belts. This is how I would rank the left side D at this time although Wolanin seems to have more potential, as does Lajoie.
- Chabot
- Boro
- Harpur
- Claesson
- Wolanin
- Sieloff
- Englund
- Lajoie

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Well the other options on the left side are all rookies for the most part with the exception of Claesson. Chabot, Harpur & Wolanin don't even have one season under their belts. This is how I would rank the left side D at this time although Wolanin seems to have more potential, as does Lajoie.
- Chabot
- Boro
- Harpur
- Claesson
- Wolanin
- Sieloff
- Englund
- Lajoie

This is why, unless Zadina is available, I guarantee you we draft a RHD with 4OA.

But Wolanin is ahead of Harpur and Claesson easily. Even with his small sample size. Boro had a solid year but I can see Wolanin passing him too. He has too much skill and poise not to.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is why, unless Zadina is available, I guarantee you we draft a RHD with 4OA.

But Wolanin is ahead of Harpur and Claesson easily. Even with his small sample size. Boro had a solid year but I can see Wolanin passing him too. He has too much skill and poise not to.
why would you say "guarantee" there? (no, i'm not looking for an explanation)

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Chabot is still pretty passive in the defensive zone. Defensively speaking, that probably wouldn't be good for our goalies having Erik and Chabot together.

Reactions: aragorn

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Is Mascherin this bad?
Interesting to see BUF and VAN dumping their 2016 late round draft class.

DenmnetXUAA8Weu.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is Mascherin this bad?

DenmnetXUAA8Weu.jpg

I'd give him a shot, but he's not a speedy small and at least in his draft year wasn't a great defensive player. Worst case, he should be good for aN AHL team, no clue why they wouldn't sign him.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Is Mascherin this bad?

DenmnetXUAA8Weu.jpg

No I believe it is him who is choosing not to sign with Florida because of how they have treated him as a prospect last summer. No communication in the off-season and, if I can remember correctly, was not invited to their camp.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No I believe it is him who is choosing not to sign with Florida because of how they have treated him as a prospect last summer. No communication in the off-season and, if I can remember correctly, was not invited to their camp.

He'd have to re-enter the draft I think, I wonder where he'd go?

oops. Never mind, turns 20 in 5 days, he'd be UFA I think.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Was there any reason for Florida to do that? You'd think a fairly high pick like that wouldn't be passed over in any circumstance.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Are you saying this because Ottawa has an abundance of LD? While I agree there is a need for a few more RD in this organization there is also a need for talented forwards. There were so many holes in this team last season that require filling it's hard to argue against filling any need. Wolanin looks like a solid prospect but let's also not forget that he is also an asset that could be used in a trade to fill another need.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Is Mascherin this bad?

DenmnetXUAA8Weu.jpg

He'd have to re-enter the draft I think, I wonder where he'd go?

oops. Never mind, turns 20 in 5 days, he'd be UFA I think.

Mascherin is re-entering the draft. He chose not to sign with Florida despite them wanting to sign him.

He has been offered around the league for a 3rd rounder but there have been no takers.

He will almost definitely be drafted in the first 4 or 5 rounds.

If anyone wants links and can't find them on the google, just let me know and I will provide some.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
i dont have any expectations for Daccord tbh but i love him going to a new hockey program as a goalie where hes going to be guaranteed to have an abundance of work to do.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Please let Zadina be there at 4. Please! I have a feeling a team will trade up to #3 and take him in front of us. And Montreal will take the Finn centre. Just a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia