Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
In what way?
In suggesting he is a mid round pick. Too many scouts and commentators that I respect think otherwise and rate him anywhere from 3-5. In addition, the fact that he played so well at WJC suggests that he can rise to a higher level when required.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is sort of a distortion of what I see a lot of people saying.

The general consensus from most Sens fans that I've seen tend to be close to what I was thinking on these players. Dahlen may not be an 'elite' scoring forward at the NHL level. I don't think he will be. However, I think he's a quality prospect that has the potential to be a solid impact player. I think, even the lower end of his potential would be more than we could expect, or have gotten from Burrows. I didn't like that trade from the get go.

It's my view that Tkachuk is a good player with strong assets. That said, I don't think he has the top level talent you'd hope for from a top 5 pick. I see him as a mid first rounder. That's not an insult. He could be a very good player, but in the top 5 I hope for a super star player. Guys like Zadina, and Svechnikov have that written all over them. There are those that say that Tkachuk is the 'type' of player the Sens need, but I just don't buy that argument. They need the best, most talented player they can get at #4. A real difference maker. I think Tkachuk is a real solid player, but I don't think he's the right guy for the Sens.

I could be wrong, and if the Sens pick Tkachuk and he becomes a superstar, or even just the best pick of the available players, I'd be super happy to admit I was wrong. I just don't think I am. I'm trying my best to be objective, and take bias out of the equation. I just don't see him as the best option.
But do only superstars usually go in the top 5 In all 5 spots? This draft might not even have 5 Bonafide superstars in it.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
In suggesting he is a mid round pick. Too many scouts and commentators that I respect think otherwise and rate him anywhere from 3-5. In addition, the fact that he played so well at WJC suggests that he can rise to a higher level when required.
He did have a good WJ tourny, but from what I've seen of him playing at BU these past couple years, I see a skilled guy with some good tools, just not a superstar. Again though, I've been wrong before and I'd be happy to come back to this point later and say I was wrong about him.

But do only superstars usually go in the top 5 In all 5 spots? This draft might not even have 5 Bonafide superstars in it.
You are right, of course. Frequently, guys are picked in the top 5 because they are well rounded guys that play all areas of the game well, and not because they have the raw talent to become superstars. It's just my view that the Sens need to look at guys that DO have the superstar upside. I don't think the solid 'all around guy' with great tools is who they need. I think they need the star guy. The team transforming type of player. It's a risk. Maybe none of the guys available will be that player, but it's my view that the Sens best option is to try to find that type of player.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What if EM told him to acquire Burrows?

I don't see why Melnyk would do that and target a specific veteran, unless somebody strongly recommended him or he has some kind of connection with Burrows

Prime Burrows would have been a crazy addition, but once again we're a bit too late.

We rarely get players in their prime unless we drafted them or we paid extra assets because of a poor financial state (ex : Brassard)

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
I keep forgetting about logan brown, really excited to see how he progresses next year.

For those that have watched him last few years, how has he progressed? Does he look like a good pick?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I keep forgetting about logan brown, really excited to see how he progresses next year.

For those that have watched him last few years, how has he progressed? Does he look like a good pick?

Only saw him in person twice. Tried to watch him when I could. There really aren't many centres like him. 6'6 is crazy. Maybe Bjugstad in Florida.

He's fantastic with the puck. Super good vision, tries to force some passes that he shouldn't sometimes, and often gets caught watching the play while gliding. But has improved even though he has had a couple injuries.

He moves pretty darn well for a guy that big, but is no Duchene in that category. I genuinely think (hope) he will be our 2C by January or February, and him and Duchene should be a very solid tandem for us in the distant future.

With one of Pageau and White able to be very good 3C (Pageau for now obvs) , I think our future is great down the middle. I hope we add a winger and defenseman in the first round this year.

Reactions: RedWhiteBrown

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Only saw him in person twice. Tried to watch him when I could. There really aren't many centres like him. 6'6 is crazy. Maybe Bjugstad in Florida.

He's fantastic with the puck. Super good vision, tries to force some passes that he shouldn't sometimes, and often gets caught watching the play while gliding. But has improved even though he has had a couple injuries.

He moves pretty darn well for a guy that big, but is no Duchene in that category. I genuinely think (hope) he will be our 2C by January or February, and him and Duchene should be a very solid tandem for us in the distant future.

With one of Pageau and White able to be very good 3C (Pageau for now obvs) , I think our future is great down the middle. I hope we add a winger and defenseman in the first round this year.

Like a Zadina like winger? :naughty:

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Like a Zadina like winger? :naughty:

Imagine a sale of the team and then Zadina falling to us at 4.... All within one week..... I'd probably spend like $500 bucks on the LottoMax that night :laugh:

By the end of the year..

Dzingel-Duchene-Zadina
RNH/Fabbri-Brown-Stone
Ryan-Pageau-White
Paajarvi-Chlapik-Pyatt
McCormick

DeHaan-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Jaros
Boro

Harpur

:nod:

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Imagine a sale of the team and then Zadina falling to us at 4.... All within one week..... I'd probably spend like $500 bucks on the LottoMax that night :laugh:

By the end of the year..

Dzingel-Duchene-Zadina
RNH/Fabbri-Brown-Stone
Ryan-Pageau-White
Paajarvi-Chlapik-Pyatt
McCormick

DeHaan-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Jaros
Boro

Harpur

As i don't hate the looks of that i'm still not a big fan of any of those Hoffman trades. I'm also a realist so i do believe that Hoffman will be dealt this offseason.

Zadina falling to us at 4 would be one of the best surprises this franchise has had in quite sometime. I've got a good feeling about the kid.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Didn't think they were going to announce it until later the month, expect Balmas, another NS kid, to be there as well

Likely gonna be the best 20 year old forward in the Q next year. I've seen him since he was drafted by the Islanders, guy has a great shot and speed. Has really come a long way since he was 15.

MaxTheLimit

Jul 21, 2016
Ontario

Adding to this, he's also really good at using his size and wingspan to protect the puck. In that ( very specific ) way, he reminds me of how Jagr used to turn his back to you and just use his size to block you and keep the puck from defenders. Brown still hasn't fully filled out his frame yet, so he should get even better at this over time. Great vision, and soft hands. I will 2nd his odd lapse in effort on the defensive side. He does get caught puck watching. I think this is something that will come as he matures though.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

This past season he really showed what he could do, on of the premier players in the OHL. Still concerns about his compete level however after the trade to Kitchener he looked refreshed. He was dominant in the first two rounds of the OHL playoffs then got shutdown in the third by the SOO. Je may earn a spot out of camp but I feel the best for him is to get his feet wet in the AHL. Should be on the roster full time by seasons end.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This past season he really showed what he could do, on of the premier players in the OHL. Still concerns about his compete level however after the trade to Kitchener he looked refreshed. He was dominant in the first two rounds of the OHL playoffs then got shutdown in the third by the SOO. Je may earn a spot out of camp but I feel the best for him is to get his feet wet in the AHL. Should be on the roster full time by seasons end.

Yea, best case scenario is he plays full season or two in AHL. Hone his skills, get tougher and stronger on the puck. Then bring him up and let him do his thing like Mantha was in Detroit.

Although, tbh, I think he makes the team out of camp only cause he'll be our best option for that number 2 spot.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yea, best case scenario is he plays full season or two in AHL. Hone his skills, get tougher and stronger on the puck. Then bring him up and let him do his thing like Mantha was in Detroit.

Although, tbh, I think he makes the team out of camp only cause he'll be our best option for that number 2 spot.

I think one or two full years in the AHL is reserved for project that are expected to need a ton of slow development to reach their potential. Logan is in the group of prospects that should need very little, if any, time in the AHL to develop. He will of course develop still in the NHL, but he doesn't look to be the type that needs AHL time to develop what he needs to develop. I expect to see him get a stint in the AHL to earn his way onto the team, unless he is a dominant rookie in camps, but he'll be up sooner than later, and deserve it.

Just my take, he's not a long term development guy like a Gagne.

MaxTheLimit

Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
I think one or two full years in the AHL is reserved for project that are expected to need a ton of slow development to reach their potential. Logan is in the group of prospects that should need very little, if any, time in the AHL to develop.
I think the amount of time he spends in the AHL this coming year will depend a lot on how his summer goes. If he commits hard to getting himself physically ready, making sure he comes to camp injury free, and works with some coaches over the summer on the defensive systems and habits employed by the Sens, I feel he could be up with the big team pretty quickly. If he has trouble with getting his body ready, or sustains an injury, it could be something that they keep him down longer so he can get fit enough under the watch of the training staff. If he is busy with health and training, he may not have too much time for theory and actual practice which they may want to give him some time learning at the AHL level first. We will see how he does at camp. At lot of the physical tools he used int he OHL won't be effective against fully grown men in the NHL if he isn't commuted to adding a bit more strength. His bad habits are things that close attention and learning will fix, but that's a matter of time and his devotion. I'm gonna say he has the drive to come in looking really strong at camp, but a bad luck injury can change a lot.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Ugh, we unpinned the only two pinned threads I care about (this one + Belleville), and we pinned more stuff that I don't care about? (And it's probably not just me: they are OT for a reason).

More scrolling to get to stuff that is relevant to this forum... Sorry about complaining, I realize this is a 1st world problem.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone

By the end of the year..

Dzingel-Duchene-Zadina
RNH/Fabbri-Brown-Stone
Ryan-Pageau-White
Paajarvi-Chlapik-Pyatt
McCormick

DeHaan-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Jaros
Boro

Harpur

Jeez seeing that lineup makes me think paul is getting added to a trade

MaxTheLimit

Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Ugh, we unpinned the only two pinned threads I care about (this one + Belleville), and we pinned more stuff that I don't care about? (And it's probably not just me: they are OT for a reason).

More scrolling to get to stuff that is relevant to this forum... Sorry about complaining, I realize this is a 1st world problem.
Yeah, I'd prefer this and the Belleville threads be pinned again, or re-created as different pinned threads. But oh well.

I think Paul will be a call up guy for bottom line duty. But he may not be the first option. It sorta depends on how many prospects make the roster...if any.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Can you guys give me some insight into these Senators players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Alex Formenton
Filip Chlapik
Christian Jaros
Christian Wolanin
Jack Rodewald
Ben Sexton

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I'd prefer this and the Belleville threads be pinned again, or re-created as different pinned threads. But oh well.

I think Paul will be a call up guy for bottom line duty. But he may not be the first option. It sorta depends on how many prospects make the roster...if any.

I didn't unsticky them, but both the unstickied threads were 2017-2018 season threads, so I assume that's why they were removed. I'm more than happy to pin a 2018-2019 Belleville and prospect threads when they are created. I'm just too lazy to make them.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Can you guys give me some insight into these Senators players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Alex Formenton
Filip Chlapik
Christian Jaros
Christian Wolanin
Jack Rodewald
Ben Sexton

My 1 sentence reviews:

Alex Formenton- Think Ryan Dzingel, all speed, some finish, middle 6 winger
Filip Chlapik- Think David Backes-esque, 2 way top six forward who can be a playmaker.
Christian Jaros- Think Boro, except he can skate and carry the puck, but hits like a freight train, could be a top 4 RHD.
Christian Wolanin- Having a hard time coming up with a comparison, but think 2 way top 4 LHD, he has some offense in him but just all around solid at both ends.
Jack Rodewald- Good energy guy, but no real NHL future.
Ben Sexton- No long term NHL future, short term call-up at best if you need a guy to play minimal 4th line minutes.

Reactions: Legionnaire11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad