Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by starling, Oct 5, 2017.

?

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2017.
  1. Bowers

7.0%
  2. Formenton

38.6%
  3. Batherson

42.1%
  4. Kelly

3.5%
  5. Other

8.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aragorn

aragorn YES WE CAN

Let me be clear I wasn't for the trade either but my point was that we have no idea whether there was anyone else who was available who would come to Ottawa, we don't know what the choices were & maybe he shouldn't have made any move, who knows? It's easy to point out what other teams have done but we have no idea what Ottawa wanted to do & whether that was the best or only deal available to them, we just don't know.

Would Stastny come to Ottawa? Were they even in on that deal? Was Ottawa willing to pay the assets it required to trade for a player like Stastny, did they even need him, again who knows? Burrows was probably the kind of player they needed, if he was 5 or 6 yrs younger, but then he would have cost a lot more assets. Trades seem really hard to make these days.

Polansky and Samboni like this.
  2. Cosmix

Cosmix Registered User

Agreed. Some trades should never had been made. :)

3. Cosmix

Cosmix Registered User

Given his fast development and debut at WJ, I think the Senators may have another top 6 player with potential to be top 3. Very impressive development. Reminds me in some ways of Stone. I wish Brown would show more development. I view them as about the same now in terms of NHL level potential.

4. BondraTime

BondraTime Registered User

One would think our pro scouts would have been like "you know, he's old and not very good anymore, and on a steep decline, stay away".

But that would only make sense.

18Hossa likes this.
  5. Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey Clouds

His character though

6. Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy Registered User

Good in the room
    Not very good on the ice

7. Burrowsaurus

Burrowsaurus Registered User

It did not help us do anything.

8. OD99

OD99 Registered User

And our others scouts would have been like, "This kid has been on a steep trajectory in his development - he is the type of kid you gamble on keeping and developing for the scoring we so desperately need. Can we ship Western hockey hero Lazar out for him instead?"

Cosmix and 18Hossa like this.
  9. Samboni

Samboni Registered User

Reminds me when Muckler was GM and brought in the old Buffalo players for the playoffs. Jacques Martin was rolling his eyes and saying to himself "What the puck am I supposed to do with these guys? " Muckler: "Play 'em, or else!"

10. Sens of Anarchy

11. BondraTime

Makes sense...

12. Gil Scott Perron

Gil Scott Perron The Belleville Sens Will Not Be Televised

You think Dahlen will be better than Tkachuk?

13. aragorn

aragorn YES WE CAN

The evidence clearly shows that he made a few plays that resulted in goals & that helped the team advance in that playoff run. Was it worth it or not is really the debate. EM made more playoff money with that run so it probably was worth it for him, but from some fans perspective that playoff run losing in a 2nd overtime in the 7th game of the ECF may not have been, c'est la vie. Was trading for Stastny & Winn's playoff run worth it since they also lost in their WCF? There fans seem to be okay with whatever it cost them. It's all perspective.

14. BondraTime

Stastny put up 15 points in the playoff, isn't getting payed more than he's worth, wasn't extended prior to playing a game, isn't 37, isn't a guy on waivers, etc., etc.

Cosmix and Icelevel like this.
  15. aragorn

aragorn YES WE CAN

My point was that they still lost. I'm not defending Burrows, I'm just pointing out that he did make a few plays (very few) that actually resulted in the team winning a game or two & the team advancing to one goal from the SCF. From management's perspective, they made that extra playoff revenue & from that point of view I assume management/ownership was okay with the trade, although I imagine everyone was hoping for more from him. Who knows if they would have gotten that far that yr without that trade, maybe ... maybe not, we'll never know.

16. BigRig4

BigRig4 Registered User

I don't mind trading for Burrows, it was the price and the extension that were brutal. He absolutely did have some key plays for us though. Had GWG's in Colorado and Boston in the regular season. Without them we might not have even made the playoffs considering how bad we got banged up near the end. Would much rather have given up a 2nd instead of Dahlen.

aragorn and Gil Scott Perron like this.
  17. Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey Clouds

Burrows was awful last year but especially in the playoffs. He was soft and slow and killed possession on whatever line he was on.

There's no defending the trade the time it was made, or with hindsight.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  18. Sens of Anarchy

Yah he was done.. no where close to what he was

Cosmix likes this.
  19. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

Part of the debate is about replacement value though. Who did Burrows replace (you could argue White, or some other trade target). Would White or that other target have done as well in his spot? Perhaps. We have a know vs an unknown, so there is no right answer, but Burrows contribution wasn't at all remarkable, particularly when usage is considered, and the cost to get him was very high.

Having said that, not sure what this has to do with prospects, other than we traded away one.

20. Xspyrit

Xspyrit Registered User

Sales/Business/Investor
    Yes. The problem was not the idea of going after Burrows. You always have to add depth for the playoffs but I have no idea why Pierre wanted to go so far to acquire him. Burrows probably only wanted to come to Ottawa if there was a 2 years extension coming. Also, had to give a quality prospect but we would have rather gave a 2nd round pick.

Because of those circumstances, Burrows already had 2 strikes against him and it made the expectations be closer to prime Burrows than declined Burrows. It's a shame because that guy is absolutely loved anywhere in BC and Quebec. Maybe it could be the case in Ottawa too if he was acquired for a 4th round pick and only had a 1 year, 1.5 M$ extension.

Like I said before, Dorion should have explored another option when he knew that the 2 years extension was required to achieve the trade.

BigRig4, Nac Mac Feegle and aragorn like this.
  21. MaxTheLimit

MaxTheLimit Hockey ruins all my personal relationships

This is sort of a distortion of what I see a lot of people saying.

The general consensus from most Sens fans that I've seen tend to be close to what I was thinking on these players. Dahlen may not be an 'elite' scoring forward at the NHL level. I don't think he will be. However, I think he's a quality prospect that has the potential to be a solid impact player. I think, even the lower end of his potential would be more than we could expect, or have gotten from Burrows. I didn't like that trade from the get go.

It's my view that Tkachuk is a good player with strong assets. That said, I don't think he has the top level talent you'd hope for from a top 5 pick. I see him as a mid first rounder. That's not an insult. He could be a very good player, but in the top 5 I hope for a super star player. Guys like Zadina, and Svechnikov have that written all over them. There are those that say that Tkachuk is the 'type' of player the Sens need, but I just don't buy that argument. They need the best, most talented player they can get at #4. A real difference maker. I think Tkachuk is a real solid player, but I don't think he's the right guy for the Sens.

I could be wrong, and if the Sens pick Tkachuk and he becomes a superstar, or even just the best pick of the available players, I'd be super happy to admit I was wrong. I just don't think I am. I'm trying my best to be objective, and take bias out of the equation. I just don't see him as the best option.

22. aligator

aligator Registered User

What if EM told him to acquire Burrows?

23. aligator

aligator Registered User

I believe that you are quite wrong about Tkachuk.

24. Sens of Anarchy

Tkachuk is very divisive.. You either like and value that type of player , that may put up a few less points himself but brings other elements that can help the line and the team or you don't.. How much you might value his game and persona will dictate how high you want him to go.

DJB, Cosmix and aragorn like this.
  25. MaxTheLimit

MaxTheLimit Hockey ruins all my personal relationships

In what way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.