Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
New season, new thread.
All non-NHL/AHL prospect updates are here.

HF RankProspectPositionDraft year#TeamLinks
3Logan BrownLW201611Kitchener Rangers, OHLhockeydb
eliteprospects
ohl
13Alex FormentonLW201747London Knights, OHLhockeydb
eliteprospects
ohl
14Christian WolaninD2015107University of North Dakota, NCAAhockeydb
eliteprospects
collegehockeyinc
17Drake BathersonC2017121Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, QMJHLhockeydb
eliteprospects
qmjhl
19Markus NurmiRW2016163TPS, Liigahockeydb
eliteprospects
liiga
20Miles GendronD201470University of Connecticut, NCAAhockeydb
eliteprospects
collegehockeyinc
21Filip AhlLW2015109Örebro HK, SHL
Örebro HK J20, SuperElit
hockeydb
eliteprospects
shl
22Jordan HollettG2017183Medicine Hat Tigers, WHLhockeydb
eliteprospects
whl
24Joel DaccordG2015199Arizona State University, NCAAhockeydb
eliteprospects
collegehockeyinc
25Kelly SummersD2014189Clarkson University, NCAAhockeydb
eliteprospects
collegehockeyinc
26Todd BurgessRW2016103RPI, NCAAhockeydb
eliteprospects
collegehockeyinc
-Parker KellyC2017-Prince Albert Raiders, WHLhockeydb
eliteprospects
whl
-Aaron LuchukC2017-Barrie Colts, OHLhockeydb
eliteprospects
ohl
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Batherson is very legit.

This isn't a Filip Ahl situation where some thought he was becoming a legit guy because of his start in Regina last year.

Batherson was an old rookie in the CHL last year. 18 year olds starting their 1st CHL season are rarely, if ever legit NHL prospects. It's rare enough for 17 year old rookies.

Ryan Johansen is a guy who fits that bill. He was a 17 year old rookie in Portland. He jumped up the rankings and quickly became a guy who was showing very projectile assets. He, however, did this in his rookie/draft season (as I said, not common but does happen every year).

Batherson, on the other hand, spent his NHL draft year as a mediocre player in the Maritime league, something many, many nobodies do every year. This is a league where me and my friends played at the same age and did as well or better statistically.

His jump to viable NHL prospect has been huge, not just statistically, but looking at his projectables. He has the size, skating, I.Q and skills to be able to fit into any teams future.

I don't know Drake at all, but I know his father well, and he comes from a very good family. His dad will help him become the best player he can be, and teach him how to be a professional in every sense of the word.

I have zero worries about Batherson, he is a gamer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Batherson is very legit.

This isn't a Filip Ahl situation where some thought he was becoming a legit guy because of his start in Regina last year.

Batherson was an old rookie in the CHL last year. 18 year olds starting their 1st CHL season are rarely, if ever legit NHL prospects. It's rare enough for 17 year old rookies.

Ryan Johansen is a guy who fits that bill. He was a 17 year old rookie in Portland. He jumped up the rankings and quickly became a guy who was showing very projectile assets. He, however, did this in his rookie/draft season (as I said, not common but does happen every year).

Batherson, on the other hand, spent his NHL draft year as a mediocre player in the Maritime league, something many, many nobodies do every year. This is a league where me and my friends played at the same age and did as well or better statistically.

His jump to viable NHL prospect has been huge, not just statistically, but looking at his projectables. He has the size, skating, I.Q and skills to be able to fit into any teams future.

I don't know Drake at all, but I know his father well, and he comes from a very good family. His dad will help him become the best player he can be, and teach him how to be a professional in every sense of the word.

I have zero worries about Batherson, he is a gamer.

So....how did it happen? How did Batherson suddenly make that jump? Did he do something different over the summer?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So....how did it happen? How did Batherson suddenly make that jump? Did he do something different over the summer?
Maturation? Abnormal development curve?

I don't have the answer to that. But one thing I'm certain of, to go from being a mediocre player in one of the worst Junior A leagues in Canada at 17, to a ppg player in the QMJHL at 18, to a very legitimate pro prospect at 19 is not something that happens often. These types are usually the guys that end up undrafted free agents in the NCAA, their development later is much longer and less significant.

Zack Smith was drafted as a 19 year old WHL player. He was in his 4th WHL season before he had his breakout, which is typical of many guys in the CHL, it's a 19 year olds league. Batherson came in as an 18 year old rookie and showed massive improvements from his 17 year old MJAHL season. Now, in his 19 year old season, he seems to made massive strides again. That bodes very well in a prospect.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

According to some scouting reports I was reading after the draft, he grew something like 4 inches. Going from 5'9 to 6'1 probably changes your ability to win puck battles.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
According to some scouting reports I was reading after the draft, he grew something like 4 inches. Going from 5'9 to 6'1 probably changes your ability to win puck battles.

Yup and your reach gets pretty broader as well.

Cbgrinder

Jun 30, 2017

If you look back he was always skilled. Finished second in Nova Scotia major midget scoring his second year in the league which after that season he got drafted to the Q but it's one thing to put up points and be a skill guy when your a little player in a little league.

His first go round in camp at Cape Breton he was still a little kid trying to play that midget game in major junior. Doesn't translate to success. His next year he came back bigger and stronger and was willing to go to the dirty areas but still had that little guy skill and vision.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Wasn't that Formenton who grew like a weed? Or did Batherson do it too?

Reason I ask, is to figure out if there's a 'eureka' moment here...something to look for with kids passed over in the draft, or perhaps a possible change that can be made to help other prospects. If something works for one kid to dramatically improve his game (if he made a change in training/coaching/systems of some sort), then there might be a way to implement the same thing with other kids.

And it's just a darn good story, too.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Clearly far too early to read too much in to these early returns but damn...the Senators may have just had one of those drafts that propels a team up the rankings in a few years...just having the depth of players from drafting alone is huge.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Bratherson is soooo creative. We need more of that.

What's more is that he quite clearly wants to be THE guy.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Wasn't that Formenton who grew like a weed? Or did Batherson do it too?

Reason I ask, is to figure out if there's a 'eureka' moment here...something to look for with kids passed over in the draft, or perhaps a possible change that can be made to help other prospects. If something works for one kid to dramatically improve his game (if he made a change in training/coaching/systems of some sort), then there might be a way to implement the same thing with other kids.

And it's just a darn good story, too.

Formenton was this summer. Batherson was last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad