Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bouchard would be exciting if he's the guy. Kid has fantastic upside. I am a huge Dobson fan, but Bouchard is a really exciting prospect as well.

I keep flip flopping. Bouchard would be a great addition to the team, for me it's him or Hughes among the options at D, but Dobson would be fair game as well. Among the forwards, I'm partial to Tkachuk or Kotkniemi. I honestly am just hoping Zadina (or Svechnikov, but that seems unlikely at the best of times) slides to us. Take away the options and make the pick a more obvious one.

Draft can't come soon enough.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I just like dreaming of Bouchard on the PP. We haven't had that blast from the point since... Chara? Salo?

Bouchard's shot is really good but it's not Weber/Chara good.

What makes him a great PP QB is his ability as a dual threat. You have to respect his shot, but he can also use his excellent vision to thread passes to open teammates for scoring opportunities.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Karlsson leaves the future is **** 4th overall + Chabot + B level prospects wont change that.
There are 30 other teams that don't have Karlsson. You don't need to have a great player like him to be a good team.

I get it, he's great and thanks to our budget and crazy owner, we likely won't get as good of a return as we should if we trade him, but frankly the reasons we would be in a bad spot if we trade him aren't exclusively the return we'd get, that's just a symptom, and the real cause wouldn't disapere if we keep Karlsson; he stays and we still have the budget, the crazy owner, the inexperienced GM ect.

With good management, teams can be competitive on a budget; we did it for years before Melnyk showed up. Winnipeg is currently a well managed budget team.

Reactions: aragorn

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I don't see Drake Batherson being a PPG player, like Scheifele is. see him more as a low 20's goal scorer if everything goes right which would be amazing.

Reactions: Icelevel

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
What ceiling do you guys think Wolanin has?

Man I think he's going to be good. He was arguably the best player on the ice at development camp (he was 22) and had a solid year in the NCAA.

His showing with Ottawa was very solid. Barring any UFA brought in on LD, there's no reason he shouldn't be solidified in the top 4 by January.

His ceiling is tough to gauge in terms of stats. Just because Karlsson and Chabot will get more powerpla time than he will. But I'd go ahead and randomly guess about 12G-35A-47P. Maybe in 2 years. Pretty solid as a 3rd DMan. Might be 4th depending on who we draft and what happens with Ceci.

Maybe 47 points is being optimistic, but he sure has the skill and poise to do it.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I'd put Wolanin with EK and see if it works. No, he's not a #2 D - that's not what I'm saying - but if he works with Karlsson it allows Chabot and Ceci on the second pairing and that might be the best chance for us to succeed. I thought Wolanin looked good, skates very well and seems to be a nice puck mover. Most likely he's on the third pair but here's hoping we get lucky.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The best chance for us to succeed is having a legit D to play with Karlsson, but that likely doesn't happen because he's traded or we won't have anybody for him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd put Wolanin with EK and see if it works. No, he's not a #2 D - that's not what I'm saying - but if he works with Karlsson it allows Chabot and Ceci on the second pairing and that might be the best chance for us to succeed. I thought Wolanin looked good, skates very well and seems to be a nice puck mover. Most likely he's on the third pair but here's hoping we get lucky.

Wolanin played a fair bit with Ceci in his time with the team last year, and I thought he looked comfortable there, though they weren't getting deployed in Ceci's typical defensive role.

My guess is next year, we'll see Boro and Wolanin spend time with Ceci. Bottom pair should be interesting though. If Jaros can step in as a reliable defensive minded dman with a bit of offensive upside, I'd be really happy. To me, a bottom pair should be safe defensive players but capable of moving the puck out of the zone. It's not a problem if they don't provide offense once in the OZ, but they need to be able to get it to the forwards quickly and let them provide the offense. Wideman was great at getting the puck to the forwards, and provided offense in the OZ, but I didn't care for his in zone play, and I don't think the coaches did either, which meant we put too much responsibility defensively (in terms of assignments and zone starts) on the top 4, which meant that we couldn't get the best out of those guys.

I think Wolanin and Jaros are the guys that could make a big difference next season. If they can step into their roles and earn the coaches trust, we could have a much more balanced blue line. If they struggle the way Claesson, Harpur and Oduya did last year, we're sunk. I've pretty much given up on Claesson as more than a bottom pair guy, and hope Harpur can find his game, because when he's on, he can be really effective.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The best chance for us to succeed is having a legit D to play with Karlsson, but that likely doesn't happen because he's traded or we won't have anybody for him.
I imagine if Karlsson is traded, he'll be playing with a legit Dman as his partner...

That said, if he does stick with the team (crosses fingers) I think Chabot will be his partner, or Boro will. One option makes me happy, the other, not so much.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
What ceiling do you guys think Wolanin has?
as a 22 year old I'm not sure how much more room he has to grow individually as a player. the improvements you see will be more related to becoming acclimated to the pace and style of play of the pro game imo. i could see him being a very useful bottom pairing defender who can slide into the #4D spot if injuries dictate such.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
as a 22 year old I'm not sure how much more room he has to grow individually as a player. the improvements you see will be more related to becoming acclimated to the pace and style of play of the pro game imo. i could see him being a very useful bottom pairing defender who can slide into the #4D spot if injuries dictate such.

I guess, but lots of pretty decent D played their first season as a 22 year old or older; Enstrom, Zaitsev, Butcher, Parayko, Shattenkirk, Klingberg, Voynov, Shultz, Colin Miller, Gunnarsson, Petry, Montour, Goligoski, Boychuk. I think most of them saw their games improve with experience, and not just because of acclimating to the pros.

I'm not saying he'll become a stud, but transitioning from College to Pro or any league to the NHL takes some time, and there's a lot of room for growth as a result. I think he showed well in his 10 games with us but I don't think he's a finished product just because of his age either, and the amount of
improvements you see as a result of becoming acclimated to the pace and style of play of the pro game alone could be significant.

It's a tough read imo. I think he's got top 4 potential, but bottom pair is more likely where he'd end up.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

I am cautiously optimistic about Wolanin - has the right tools and skillset, and with a mindset to improve - I am hoping for a top-4 guy. Doesn't seem to have much panic in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad