Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He was just rated our #4 prospect, overwhelmingly, by our HF fan base....

You got me, theres still a couple of posters that refuse to acknowledge him as an asset, but for the most part happy to see his stock rise here. It should have risen last season as well tho, but he was still lowly ranked.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014

Nick Paul was at the BioSteel camp and scored a nifty shootout goal; he also had some crazy moves last year at the camp.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Nick Paul was at the BioSteel camp and scored a nifty shootout goal; he also had some crazy moves last year at the camp.

I'm a big fan of Nick Paul, I think he will eventually get his chance again this yr probably by the half way mark. He can start on the 4th line & work his way up the lineup as he progresses, he can sub in at centre or at LW. He's got good size & can do all the dirty work in the corners & in front of the net, plus he is good at draws.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Blah, not even a top-20 prospect on the Leafs pool :sarcasm:

Your insecurity and bitterness are showing.

Fact is, we should be happy with Brown. Doesn't matter if other teams' prospect pools are deeper than ours. Right now, Brown is a really good prospect.

Edit: meant Paul, not Brown.

Last edited:

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
What? What does Brown have to do with anything?

Right you are. Meant to write "Paul.". Don't know why Brown was on the brain. Regardless, the point stands. Paul's status among Sens prospects, even if his realistic ceiling is 3rd liner at best, shouldn't matter compared to other prospect pools.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Right you are. Meant to write "Paul.". Don't know why Brown was on the brain. Regardless, the point stands. Paul's status among Sens prospects, even if his realistic ceiling is 3rd liner at best, shouldn't matter compared to other prospect pools.

I think you're completely ignoring the sarcasm emote at the end of his post...

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I think you're completely ignoring the sarcasm emote at the end of his post...

No, I think he just doesn't really see why the Leafs were brought up out of the blue (pun intended). I kind of agree, really no reason to bring them up here.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol FlyingJ doesn't know what :sarcasm: stands for?

Sir, I don't have an ounce of insecurity coming from what is an entertainment for me :facepalm:. I find most things on HF quite humorous actually. You should try :nod:

And why you keep quoting me? I wouldn't even see your posts if others were not quoting you... Quite the obsession

No, I think he just doesn't really see why the Leafs were brought up out of the blue (pun intended). I kind of agree, really no reason to bring them up here.

Just for fun, hopefully some people who spent some time on the main board (or Leafs board) found it funny. Nothing serious here.

I have seen ton of Sens fans (and other teams as well) poking fun at Leafs fans before, and the other way around as well. It's a message board and there was nothing insulting here.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Another one of Janecyk's burners

I just went on the Sens website, and Janecyk is listed as a "European scout" now.

I know for a fact he used to be a U.S. scout, mostly covering the USHL and high schools, with some NCAA mixed in. I wonder why the change?

I'm trying to think which guys are Janecyk's picks/ guys he would have seen more than other scouts: Dzingel, McCormick, Aneloski, Baillargeon, Tim Boyle, Eiserman... is that it? Was Gendron his? It's not a strong list.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I just went on the Sens website, and Janecyk is listed as a "European scout" now.

I know for a fact he used to be a U.S. scout, mostly covering the USHL and high schools, with some NCAA mixed in. I wonder why the change?

I'm trying to think which guys are Janecyk's picks/ guys he would have seen more than other scouts: Dzingel, McCormick, Aneloski, Baillargeon, Tim Boyle, Eiserman... is that it? Was Gendron his? It's not a strong list.

You are 100% correct, I also know he was our US based guy.

It seems to me they basically gave him free reign in the mid rounds on US programs (USHL for overagers, obscure programs for both overagers and 1st timers)

His list of guys he had big impact on since 2009:

Todd Burgess (He gave the interview about him after the draft)
Christian Wolanin
Joey Daccord
Miles Gendron
Shane Eiserman
Chris Leblanc
Quentin Shore
Tim Boyle
Robbie Baillargeon
Max McCormick
Ryan Dzingel

Chris Wideman
Jeff Costello
Brad Peltz (Melnyck as well)
Michael Sdao
Bryce Aneloski

They are later picks, but that is quite terrible.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, agreed.

It seems Europe might be a demotion based on his history? "Go to Prague and try not to screw it up".

For a team that's done so well in the middle and later rounds of the draft, and him having about 30-400% of the picks, that is awful.

Hoffman
Pageau
Smith
Stone
Borowiecki
Perron

Are all guys that were taken in his usual range. He hasn't hit one eve close to these guys. Wideman will be in that Boro range.

Obviously it's not all his fault, but that is troubling in my eyes that we go back to that route so often.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It seems to me they basically gave him free reign in the mid rounds on US programs (USHL for overagers, obscure programs for both overagers and 1st timers)

Christian Wolanin
Joey Daccord
Miles Gendron
Shane Eiserman
Chris Leblanc
Quentin Shore
Tim Boyle
Robbie Baillargeon
Max McCormick
Ryan Dzingel

Chris Wideman
Jeff Costello
Michael Sdao
Bryce Aneloski

I still like Daccord and maybe Gendron as sleeper/project picks, but overall agree, not a list you'd want to brag about.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
lol FlyingJ doesn't know what :sarcasm: stands for?

Sir, I don't have an ounce of insecurity coming from what is an entertainment for me :facepalm:. I find most things on HF quite humorous actually. You should try :nod:

And why you keep quoting me? I wouldn't even see your posts if others were not quoting you... Quite the obsession
Don't be paranoid. Be happy about our prospects :)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Christian Wolanin
Joey Daccord
Miles Gendron
Shane Eiserman
Chris Leblanc
Quentin Shore
Tim Boyle
Robbie Baillargeon
Max McCormick
Ryan Dzingel

Chris Wideman
Jeff Costello
Michael Sdao
Bryce Aneloski

I don't think that list is nearly as bad as you make it out to be. If you leave out players that were drafted recently and have yet to show their stuff at the pro level, we have the following record:

Wideman (4th)
Costello (5th)
Peltz (7th)
Sdao (7th)

Aneloski (7th)

McCormick (6th)
Dzingel (7th)

Boyle (4th)
Baillargeon (5th)

Shore (6th)
Lebanc (6th)

That's 11 players in 5 years. Out of those 11 players, 3 are on track to become NHLers (Wideman, Dzingel, McCormick). If we exclude Peltz, who was almost certainly drafted for off-ice reasons, 1/3 of those late round picks have been successful. That's a pretty good record. There are some head scratchers on that list, particularly Boyle and Leblanc, but there are also some picks I really liked when they were made. Aneloski was the top scoring USHL defenseman when we took him, Baillargeon had great production in his draft year and Shore came off an excellent freshman season in the NCAA. Also it can't be stressed enough that the majority of late round picks will bust. Other elite drafting teams like Detroit and Anaheim have pretty mediocre records out of the USHL and more obscure U.S leagues too. That's what happens when you draft out of leagues that aren't nearly as popular as the CHL - you take on more risk for the opportunity to find an undiscovered gem.

I'm also of the opinion that many of the American prospects that were drafted in recent years are quite underrated by the fanbase. Say what you will above Gendron's progress since being drafted, but the kid is an absolutely phenomenal skater, and has size and talent. We went boom/bust with that pick, and while it's leaning more to the latter, still doesn't make it a bad pick. Wolanin had great numbers in the USHL when we drafted him and followed it up with great numbers in his freshman season. I've made it clear on numerous occasions that Burgess is another guy I'm higher on than most. Eiserman isn't looking too great right now, but we'll have re-visit in 5 years to properly evaluate whether these players were good or bad selections.

I do agree that our American scouting is one of the weaker points of our amateur scouting staff, but that says more about the quality of the Sens scouting staff as a whole. The CHL and Swedish staff regularly produce good value selections, with the occasional out-right steal. Demoting Janecyk is a good start in getting the American scouts up to the level of the other staff. If we can begin to produce the same results drafting out of the States as we do in Canada and Sweden, this team is going to be in good shape in the future.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Our record of drafting US college and high school players had better improve, with White and Brown now in the system.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Don't be paranoid. Be happy about our prospects :)

I am happy about the Sens pool, I think it is a good one based on where the Sens have drafted the last few years. I was originally just poking fun at some Leafs fans who brag about the quality of the Leafs pool. Gosh, after the amount of time their team has been sucking and missing the playoffs, I hope they have one of the best pools, FINALLY.

That being said, I am like every Sens fan who hope this team can finally turn a corner this year, the talent is there but it needs better execution (starts with coaching). Now, what is the right attitude to have as a fan? Be patient and hopeful? Or whine constantly about it? Of course, one could choose the latter but my opinion is I find it utterly useless to be constantly unhappy with something you have chosen as an entertainment/passion. The only reasonable thing to do is to be patient or switch for another passion or another team. I am not saying you can't criticize, but there's a big difference with constant whining. My 2.3 cents

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Our record of drafting US college and high school players had better improve, with White and Brown now in the system.

I have no issue at all with our 1st's and 2nd's, the only problem I have with our drafting, which I've made clear before, is our need to take overaged guys out of US programs and out of the blue picks out of US programs. I feel like we can better use those picks.

The one that kills me is Tim Boyle (I mean, everyone knew it was awful at the time).
Overaged D out of US high school, who put up 18 points in 26 games. That's terrible.

We take him 106, Athanasiou goes 110.

I know it's complete hindsight, but I wish we stopped trying to outsmart everyone with some of our picks.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I have no issue at all with our 1st's and 2nd's, the only problem I have with our drafting, which I've made clear before, is our need to take overaged guys out of US programs and out of the blue picks out of US programs. I feel like we can better use those picks.

The one that kills me is Tim Boyle (I mean, everyone knew it was awful at the time).
Overaged D out of US high school, who put up 18 points in 26 games. That's terrible.

We take him 106, Athanasiou goes 110.

I know it's complete hindsight, but I wish we stopped trying to outsmart everyone with some of our picks.

If Adam Sandler as Billy Madison went back to school and put up 18 in 26 like our boi Boyle, I think we'd all be pretty stoked. Cut him a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad