Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
I just went on the Sens website, and Janecyk is listed as a "European scout" now.

I know for a fact he used to be a U.S. scout, mostly covering the USHL and high schools, with some NCAA mixed in. I wonder why the change?

I'm trying to think which guys are Janecyk's picks/ guys he would have seen more than other scouts: Dzingel, McCormick, Aneloski, Baillargeon, Tim Boyle, Eiserman... is that it? Was Gendron his? It's not a strong list.

I think it's just a mistake on the website. Janecyk seems to profile quite highly in all the scouting videos, so I doubt he's fallen out of favour. The website is usually pretty bad about updating information correctly. There is still no profile for any of the new coaching staff....they were hired how many months ago?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Pronman the ESPN guy ranked the Sens prospects 16th... One behind Montreal:p says Brown, Chabot and White all have top tier upside

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pronman the ESPN guy ranked the Sens prospects 16th... One behind Montreal:p says Brown, Chabot and White all have top tier upside

What he say about Perron?

He should love Perron based on the style of player he gravitates to.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What he say about Perron?

He should love Perron based on the style of player he gravitates to.

The article is just team rankings, so he only comments on the top 3 prospects and goes into zero detail. ABC posted it with no paywall, http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ranking-nhl-team-prospect-pipeline/story?id=41724093

He should go into more complete looks at the individual farm systems soon, at which point you'd likely seem something about Perron, but I expect it to be behind a paywall (ESPN).

He may have mentioned Perron in his top 120 prospects list, but that's behind a firewall so I haven't seen it.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
The article is just team rankings, so he only comments on the top 3 prospects and goes into zero detail. ABC posted it with no paywall, http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ranking-nhl-team-prospect-pipeline/story?id=41724093

He should go into more complete looks at the individual farm systems soon, at which point you'd likely seem something about Perron, but I expect it to be behind a paywall (ESPN).

He may have mentioned Perron in his top 120 prospects list, but that's behind a firewall so I haven't seen it.

Chabot - 26
White - 28
Brown - 41

no other Sens on the list. I thought Dahlen and Perron might sneak in near the end, but no such luck

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chabot - 26
White - 28
Brown - 41

no other Sens on the list. I thought Dahlen and Perron might sneak in near the end, but no such luck

I don't agree that Perron is not in the top 120, but that's it. It shows how promising our top guys are to be ranked 16th on the strength of 3 guys.

I really think Dahlen will turn heads this season, though I admit I'm saying this while only seeing highlights. He seems to have a lot of Things going for him that I value in forward prospects.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chabot - 26
White - 28
Brown - 41

I'm a bit surprised with Brown's ranking; I understand he had Chychrun ranked 32 from the main boards comments on it, and Braydon Point at 29. I'd easily take Brown well ahead of either, but he clearly sees something in them I don't (or doesn't see something in Brown).

Edit: Just noticed he has Crouse at 37, another guy I'd easily take Brown ahead of...

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't agree that Perron is not in the top 120, but that's it. It shows how promising our top guys are to be ranked 16th on the strength of 3 guys.

I really think Dahlen will turn heads this season, though I admit I'm saying this while only seeing highlights. He seems to have a lot of Things going for him that I value in forward prospects.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dahlen progress. For whatever reason, I just see him as having a similar rise and NHL impact as Silfverberg (minus the insane record setting final year in the SHL)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm looking forward to seeing Dahlen progress. For whatever reason, I just see him as having a similar rise and NHL impact as Silfverberg (minus the insane record setting final year in the SHL)

I have higher hopes for his offensive abilities. Silf has the better shot, size and defensive skill, but Dahlen has a much better offensive winger toolset.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have higher hopes for his offensive abilities. Silf has the better shot, size and defensive skill, but Dahlen has a much better offensive winger toolset.

Fair enough, I just get the vibe that like Silf, Dahlen just has that hockey sense that gets him into the right places at the right times to make things happen (be it offensively or defensively).

Both guys seem to just do things right, regarless of skill set differences, though I've viewed precious little of Dahlen.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

I think Dahlen has much better hands than Silfverberg (not as good defensively, and not as good of a shot). The guy I think of is Jussi Jokinen.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Came across combine results from past years.

Colin White was best in his draft year in both pro-agility tests, top-10 in vertical and long jumps: http://www.topendsports.com/sport/icehockey/nhl-combine-results-2015.htm

Perron was top-10 in pull-ups, hand-eye test and single leg squats: http://www.topendsports.com/sport/icehockey/nhl-combine-results-2014.htm

Good find. To add other Sens prospects, looks like Eiserman was 2nd in bench press and Gendron was 5th in both vertical jump tests.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I really like Perron and think he is going to be very good. He is up there as a prospect as far as I am concerned and I think he is flying way under the radar due to his draft position and his later coming success.

Dahlen was a really nice pick this year. He should become an excellent prospect as well. Really good offensive instincts from what I have seen.

White is a very good all around athlete. I think he will be a great addition when that happens. Lets hope that situation is handled well.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I don't disagree with the list but Ottawa has 2 top centers coming in and the best Defensive prospect in all of hockey. We might not have 10 amazing prospects, but our top 3 prospects deserve to be in the top 5 rankings for the entire NHL versus any other teams top 3 prospects.

I could see Chabot, White and Brown outplaying Matthews, Marner and Nylander in 5 years. Out of all those players I'd say Chabot is the best overall prospect and White is by far and away the best 2-way player.

Not saying they will be better, but I can see it. And I think that group of 3 players is better then any other Canadian team can put up for their top 3 prospects.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't disagree with the list but Ottawa has 2 top centers coming in and the best Defensive prospect in all of hockey. We might not have 10 amazing prospects, but our top 3 prospects deserve to be in the top 5 rankings for the entire NHL versus any other teams top 3 prospects.

I could see Chabot, White and Brown outplaying Matthews, Marner and Nylander in 5 years. Out of all those players I'd say Chabot is the best overall prospect and White is by far and away the best 2-way player.

Not saying they will be better, but I can see it. And I think that group of 3 players is better then any other Canadian team can put up for their top 3 prospects.

I'm one of Chabots biggest supporters, but to call him the best Defensive prospect in the league is hopeful, at best.

Werenski and Provorov are the clear cut top 2 IMO. Chabot could slide in anywhere from 3rd-10th and I wouldn't see anything wrong.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm one of Chabots biggest supporters, but to call him the best Defensive prospect in the league is hopeful, at best.

Werenski and Provorov are the clear cut top 2 IMO. Chabot could slide in anywhere from 3rd-10th and I wouldn't see anything wrong.

After the WJC he will be the best D prospect in all of hockey. He is the best Dman in the Q by a long shot and when he gets to play on the international stage people will see what he's made of - he's going to set himself apart. He'll be considered the best player in the WJC tournament when it's over. And it'll be in Montreal, he will probably be the Captain, he'll have a huge spotlight on him.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
After the WJC he will be the best D prospect in all of hockey. He is the best Dman in the Q by a long shot and when he gets to play on the international stage people will see what he's made of - he's going to set himself apart. He'll be considered the best player in the WJC tournament when it's over. And it'll be in Montreal, he will probably be the Captain, he'll have a huge spotlight on him.

I'm a big Chabot supporter but I don't think he is the best D prospect in hockey. I'd call him top 5.

Unless he has magically transformed his shot and plays the body more, he's probably not going to be considered better than Provorov or Werenski.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I'm a big Chabot supporter but I don't think he is the best D prospect in hockey. I'd call him top 5.

Unless he has magically transformed his shot and plays the body more, he's probably not going to be considered better than Provorov or Werenski.

FWIW, Pronman has him ranked 6th (at 26 OV) behind:

Werenski (12)
Juolevi (14)
Provorov (18)
Fabbro (21)
Bean (23)

You could argue Fabbro and Bean but all in all, 6 is a pretty fair ranking. He has Chychrun (32), Theodore (34), Sergachev (38), Walman (44) and McAvoy (45) behind him in the top 50.

Obviously hindsight is 20-20 and this is just an exercise in disappointment, but can you imagine if we picked Walman (82, 2014) instead of Gendron (70, 2014)?? Stings almost as badly as Point (79, 2014). Gendron can still be a player but those picks by St Louis and Tampa are looking pretty damn good right now. Not to mention Sorokin at 78.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
FWIW, Pronman has him ranked 6th (at 26 OV) behind:

Werenski (12)
Juolevi (14)
Provorov (18)
Fabbro (21)
Bean (23)

You could argue Fabbro and Bean but all in all, 6 is a pretty fair ranking. He has Chychrun (32), Theodore (34), Sergachev (38), Walman (44) and McAvoy (45) behind him in the top 50.

Obviously hindsight is 20-20 and this is just an exercise in disappointment, but can you imagine if we picked Walman (82, 2014) instead of Gendron (70, 2014)?? Stings almost as badly as Point (79, 2014). Gendron can still be a player but those picks by St Louis and Tampa are looking pretty damn good right now. Not to mention Sorokin at 78.

Fabbro, and Bean, are not two guys I''d consider ahead of Chabot, and I love Fabbro.

He's very low on Sanhiem, and Sergachev. I'd be fine with either of those guys and Joulevi ahead of Chabot, along with the obvious Werenski and Provorov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad