Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think you are correct. The point stands that he didn't have another high 1st round pick to play with. May bode well for his performance this year.

Yeah, not disputing that. Imagine if he had been centering Marner and Tkatchuk instead of Lemieux and Fischer, you could add on a few more points and perhaps some draft day stock to go along with it.

I really think he's going to have a great season this year and open some eyes, though I'm not sure who his linemates will be which could affect things.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean, Lemieux,Fischer and Sergachev is nothing to scoff at.

True, but Lemieux only came on board from a trade half way through the season, and that coincided with Brown's crazy finish to the season.

Lemieux I think will be in the AHL this season (assuming he doesn't crack the sabres) so I'm not sure who he'll line up with. Fisher and Sergachev should still be there though.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lemieux I think will be in the AHL this season (assuming he doesn't crack the sabres) so I'm not sure who he'll line up with.

a) Do you mean the Jets? (and as a side note: holy hell did Timmy Murr ever get pounded in that trade)

b) He already played 5 games with the Moose in the AHL last year, so it looks really good that he'll be there this season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
a) Do you mean the Jets?

b) He already played 5 games with the Moose in the AHL last year, so it looks really good that he'll be there this season.

Oops, he was part of that Myers bogo deal, right? Forgot about that.

But yeah, I fully expect him to be in the ahl.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
a) Do you mean the Jets? (and as a side note: holy hell did Timmy Murr ever get pounded in that trade).

Apparently not.

Sens fan :
Buffalo getting Kane when they did was one of the dumbest NHL moves I can ever remember

Sabres fan :
Buffalo trading for Kane when they did ultimately gave them Eichel. So for Buffalo that alone makes it one of the best trades in their history.

Sens fan :
Sorry what? What is the link with Eichel?

Buffalo acquired :

Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian and Jason Kasdorf

Winnipeg acquired :

Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brendan Lemieux and a 1st round pick in 2015 (Jack Roslovic)

The Jets absolutely killed it with this trade

Sabres fan :
1. If the Jets won the trade, it means Buffalo lost talent. Having less talent means a worse team. A worse team means a better draft pick. Eichel.

2. Even if you want to argue that the value was fair on both sides, Kane was injured and out for the rest of the season. Which means the main piece coming back couldn't play during the "tank year". When good players can't play, you have a worse team. A worse team means a better draft pick. Eichel.

Some people think Buffalo may have intentionally made the trade with one of these two points in mind, to ice a worse team, to "tank"... and draft Eichel. Hence, the link between the trade and Eichel.

Sabres fan :
Yep exactly ☺

Leafs fan :
Some also argue that the team that ends up with the best player is the victor.

Kane is not done. He could grow up and shake off all this stuff. He just came off a 20 goal season, so there is no way you can say everything has crumbled for Buffalo. Everyone is having a gossip mongering Twitter field day right now, but what if it all washes away some day? Winnipeg might actually regret this.

God I hate the tanking mentality

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
True, but Lemieux only came on board from a trade half way through the season, and that coincided with Brown's crazy finish to the season.

Lemieux I think will be in the AHL this season (assuming he doesn't crack the sabres) so I'm not sure who he'll line up with. Fisher and Sergachev should still be there though.

Fischer will be in the AHL for Arizona and possibly NHL for some games. He's not going back to the OHL. He already played in the AHL end of season last year and has been training in AZ most of the summer.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
HF has voted 3 of our prospects into the top 35 league wide.

I can't remember ever having that many, that high at the same time (We would always have a guy high Rundblad/Cowen/Zib, but not multiple guys fairly high up).

Obviously this metric is very useless, but it's strange to see 3 of our guys getting respect. All drafted within the last 14 months.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sorry, I meant HF, as in HF the community :laugh:

Should have clarified

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2116003

Like I said, very little meaning or credibility

AH, ok. I thought you meant it was a Hockey's Future article.

... looks like the Leaf fans found out about this poll early. I like Marner and Nylander, don't get me wrong, but 3rd and 5th seem a bit high. If Marner played in Arizona, and Nylander was a Blue Jacket, they wouldn't be as high here... but these are the results you tend to get on fan-polls, so not surprising.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

... looks like the Leaf fans found out about this poll early. I like Marner and Nylander, don't get me wrong, but 3rd and 5th seem a bit high. If Marner played in Arizona, and Nylander was a Blue Jacket, they wouldn't be as high here... but these are the results you tend to get on fan-polls, so not surprising.

I love Marner, I think he's going to be a top line winger, but it doesn't make sense to me to have him above Nylander. Nylander is an absolute gem, aside from Matthews he's their best prospect IMO. I'd kill to have either, but Nylander is the easy choice for me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fischer will be in the AHL for Arizona and possibly NHL for some games. He's not going back to the OHL. He already played in the AHL end of season last year and has been training in AZ most of the summer.

Good point, I forgot that Fischer wasn't drafted from the CHL and isn't affected by the transfer agreement. Probably best for his development to go the AHL at this point, but now I'm really unsure who Brown's line mates will be.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Good point, I forgot that Fischer wasn't drafted from the CHL and isn't affected by the transfer agreement. Probably best for his development to go the AHL at this point, but now I'm really unsure who Brown's line mates will be.

I don't think Chayka confirmed where Fischer will be playing next year. He left both avenues a possibility. The Spitfires acquired Julius Nattinen who was drafted in the second round in '15 so he may play with Brown. Keller is still an option but that's a long shot; he confirmed that he was headed to BU but it's a small possibility we see him in the OHL just like how Milano and Bracco left college.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Marner has got to be one of the most overrated prospects in recent memory. He's the prototypical case of a high skill junior player putting up big numbers against terrible competition using skills that don't translate nearly as well playing against men at the highest level of hockey. He also happens to be an extremely high draft pick playing on a extremely good team on an extremely good line being watched by an extremely large fanbase. He's an impressive offensive talent, but is nowhere near close to the 3rd best prospect in hockey. Can thank HF's obsession over skill and Leafs Nation for that ranking.

Nylander is a different story. Kid has had ridiculous production at every level leading back to two years before his draft season. He's played and dominated against men at two different levels (SHL and AHL). While he possesses the skills often found in undersized skilled forwards - high level of hockey sense, silky-smooth hands, terrific playmaking ability and vision, he also possesses the skills that typically elude such players - a terrific shot and top-tier skating ability. Heck he's not even that small at 5'11, 190lbs. How Marner is rated over a player that is so clearly better than him by their own fanbase, is beyond me. If the Leafs have an elite talent in their system besides Matthews, it's Nylander. Hate to admit it but the kid is going to be a star.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I love Marner, I think he's going to be a top line winger, but it doesn't make sense to me to have him above Nylander. Nylander is an absolute gem, aside from Matthews he's their best prospect IMO. I'd kill to have either, but Nylander is the easy choice for me.

Yeah, I have Nylander over Marner too.

*EDIT*
I didn't see Hale's post (^right above this one^) when I posted this, but wanted to add here that I totally agree with you as well. Solid analysis, I'm with ya.

Last edited:

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Just a bit of a quick note, but thehockeywriters.com has Sens Prospect Francis Perron on their list of top overlooked prospects.

LINK

It's just a quick article, but it is interesting to see his name come up more an more when quality prospects are mentioned.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Marner has got to be one of the most overrated prospects in recent memory. He's the prototypical case of a high skill junior player putting up big numbers against terrible competition using skills that don't translate nearly as well playing against men at the highest level of hockey. He also happens to be an extremely high draft pick playing on a extremely good team on an extremely good line being watched by an extremely large fanbase. He's an impressive offensive talent, but is nowhere near close to the 3rd best prospect in hockey. Can thank HF's obsession over skill and Leafs Nation for that ranking.

Nylander is a different story. Kid has had ridiculous production at every level leading back to two years before his draft season. He's played and dominated against men at two different levels (SHL and AHL). While he possesses the skills often found in undersized skilled forwards - high level of hockey sense, silky-smooth hands, terrific playmaking ability and vision, he also possesses the skills that typically elude such players - a terrific shot and top-tier skating ability. Heck he's not even that small at 5'11, 190lbs. How Marner is rated over a player that is so clearly better than him by their own fanbase, is beyond me. If the Leafs have an elite talent in their system besides Matthews, it's Nylander. Hate to admit it but the kid is going to be a star.

Nylander packed on a massive amount of muscle this summer, as well. As long as it doesn't affect his skating, the kid could be a beast.

Yeah, I don't really trust London as a system that much. They have too many high end guys on that team....not enough proper development time going around. Too many back door deals and NHL connections making sure certain kids get prime opportunity while others are there more to prop up the favored sons. Marner looks the same now as he did in his draft year...he hasn't fixed any of his warts that appeared in the WJC last year.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
What do you guys think the odds of Donaghey being back in the Q is?? Pretty good i would guess?
Rumor is Charlottetown (Chlapik's Team) is set to acquire him from Moncton.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What do you guys think the odds of Donaghey being back in the Q is?? Pretty good i would guess?
Rumor is Charlottetown (Chlapik's Team) is set to acquire him from Moncton.

Put him where ever he has the best chance to play the most relative to competition. It's an overage season but the Q seems to be at a good place at the moment so seems like a good decision for his development. Couldn't see him playing meaningful minutes in Bingo right now.

All the same logic of Gagne going back can be applied here.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Just a bit of a quick note, but thehockeywriters.com has Sens Prospect Francis Perron on their list of top overlooked prospects.

LINK

It's just a quick article, but it is interesting to see his name come up more an more when quality prospects are mentioned.

he is overlooked by everyone fanbase included can't wait till he makes a name for himself in the nhl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad