Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We have to remember, Brown is a long-term guy. He's not making it to the NHL for at least 3-4 years. Expecting him to look dominant right now is asking a lot.

I'm more interested to hear how Chabot played today. He's the one that should be one of the dominant ones (please, please, please!) this year for Canada.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect Brown to be dominant against his junior peers. This year will be his draft +1 year. How can you not expect him to dominate?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect Brown to be dominant against his junior peers. This year will be his draft +1 year. How can you not expect him to dominate?

Yep. It's fair to expect him to dominate. The excuse that it is middle of the summer is garbage. It's the same for all these players. But it's not fair to expect him to be 100% every game. That's just not gonna happen. No player is perfect everygame.

From what people say, he didn't had the best game. But he still had an impact on the Win. GWG + won the Ozone Faceoff on the 2nd goal ( maybe should have an assist on that ).

If he doesn't play his best, but have an impact still. That's ok for me for that game.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I watched the second and he (Brown) hardly played. Hard to dominate when you don't play. Coaches do all kinds of funny things in the summer, like try and evaluate fringe players and try combos to see if there is any chemistry.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I watched the second and he (Brown) hardly played. Hard to dominate when you don't play. Coaches do all kinds of funny things in the summer, like try and evaluate fringe players and try combos to see if there is any chemistry.

From the lineups tweet, Brown was on the fourth line and Chabot on the 3rd pairing.

It look like they are pretty much lock, and tehy decided to play other player who they want to watch more.

Because how can a guy like Chabot be on the 3rd pairing? With the player who were in the lineup.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario

That makes sense. I wish I had the time to sit down and watch some video of the games. I'm hoping Chabot is strong. A lot rides on him being able to step into the D pairings soon.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think he got a regular shift in the 2nd and then his ice time went down in the 3rd.

To clarify. I guess I made a bad choice of words when I said "I would have liked to see him be more dominant" which I did not intend to be meant as "I think he should have dominated". It was meant to say I would have liked to see him stand out more at times. I would have like to see him do more or some of the things he did at the U18 where he carried the puck , drove the play, and displayed his high end play making ability. And I was not expecting total domination or inferring that. Having some stand out moments is "more dominant" and would have been nice to see.

As some have said its one exhibition game in the summer but it is a tryout for the National team.

He did win the face off for Foley's tap in and he got a nice tap for the GW in the 3rd.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Oh nice, are we overanalyzing a single exhibition game featuring two teams full of guys who haven't played in months and whose games are full of rink rust and cobwebs?

Sweet, I love this game. Can I do Chabot next?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't fully agree with this in that I think Brown will be in the NHL sooner than yourself. He plays out junior then probably half a season in the AHL and is first call up.

But we're seeing a pretty big overreaction for one exibition game in early August. If I were Brown I'd be more focused on the gym right now than the ice. Offseason should be his chance to bulk over the next few years. I agree that it's all about the long term with him and adding muscle and strength is what will make him a player for Ottawa. He already has the skills. I'm not interested in how he's playing in exhibition summer games.

This comment is a much bigger overreaction to what was actually said.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Oh nice, are we overanalyzing a single exhibition game featuring two teams full of guys who haven't played in months and whose games are full of rink rust and cobwebs?

Sweet, I love this game. Can I do Chabot next?
Yea you may give an opinion on an Ottawa draftee based on a game you tuned into watch.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Given his deployment and limited ice time, and the fact that he's a lock for the WJC team, I hope his performance (perimeter play, lack of effort) was because the coaches asked him to just fill a role, and not because he was mentally disengaged because he thinks he didn't have to try. I wouldn't gauge his drive on this one game, but I would earmark it in case we see this throughout the season in Windsor.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Don't be mean. It is the middle of summer, and we haven't gotten to talk about players or prospects actually playing hockey for months. meticulously over analyzing the details of every insignificant play is an irresistible urge at this point! ;)

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Given his deployment and limited ice time, and the fact that he's a lock for the WJC team, I hope his performance (perimeter play, lack of effort) was because the coaches asked him to just fill a role, and not because he was mentally disengaged because he thinks he didn't have to try. I wouldn't gauge his drive on this one game, but I would earmark it in case we see this throughout the season in Windsor.

He is not a lock for the USA WJC team. Doubtful he plays center over White, Keller and Kunin. Take into consideration they also already have two over 6'5 wingers in Jordan Greenway and Tage Thompson who are both tearing it up. The 97 NTDP team had the best international record in the history of the NTDP. I would expect many of those 97 born forward to be on this team. The only 98 born forward that is a lock is Clayton Keller at this point.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He is not a lock for the USA WJC team. Doubtful he plays center over White, Keller and Kunin. Take into consideration they also already have two over 6'5 wingers in Jordan Greenway and Tage Thompson who are both tearing it up. The 97 NTDP team had the best international record in the history of the NTDP. I would expect many of those 97 born forward to be on this team. The only 98 born forward that is a lock is Clayton Keller at this point.

Oh.

Never mind.

tumblr_lzk73nLdXq1qaub4mo3_500.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's not going to look good if McLeod becomes significantly better than brown. NJ would look pretty smart though.
Willing to wait and see.

Depending on who you listen to Brown was considered to be a very dangerous prospect that some teams didn't want to have to be put in the position to make a choice on at the draft. Very boom/bust.

I'm fine with Ottawa going for that kind of prospect since we're not a team who if history is any indication will get the chance to be gifted a free shot at a can't miss elite player with a top 2 or (depending on the year) top 3 pick.

With all that said, I would get excited about Brown having a chance to become a 1C for Ottawa down the line, but at the same time try not to be too surprised if he ends up a bust.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Depending on who you listen to Brown was considered to be a very dangerous prospect that some teams didn't want to have to be put in the position to make a choice on at the draft. Very boom/bust.

I'm fine with Ottawa going for that kind of prospect since we're not a team who if history is any indication will get the chance to be gifted a free shot at a can't miss elite player with a top 2 or (depending on the year) top 3 pick.

With all that said, I would get excited about Brown having a chance to become a 1C for Ottawa down the line, but at the same time try not to be too surprised if he ends up a bust.

What is your definition of bust for Brown? If he become a 2C, is that a bust for you?

Brown is going to be a player for us, almost garanteed. But if he become a 3rd line, is it a bust? He could become an elite 3rd liner and be very valuable still. So i'm wondering what are realistic expectation for Brown. Me it's 2nd Line center, i think that's the floor.

I think we might have a solid 1-2 punch with Brown and White being our 1A-1B. Just like right now with Turris and Brassard.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What is your definition of bust for Brown? If he become a 2C, is that a bust for you?

Brown is going to be a player for us, almost garanteed. But if he become a 3rd line, is it a bust? He could become an elite 3rd liner and be very valuable still. So i'm wondering what are realistic expectation for Brown. Me it's 2nd Line center, i think that's the floor.

I think we might have a solid 1-2 punch with Brown and White being our 1A-1B. Just like right now with Turris and Brassard.
If he becomes a third line center he's a bust.

You just said 2nd line center is your floor for him. So third liner is a huge disappointment.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
If he becomes a third line center he's a bust.

You just said 2nd line center is your floor for him. So third liner is a huge disappointment.

Well that's why i ask. For me a bust is someone who ISN'T NEAR what he was projected to be.

If he was to become an 3rd liner, i would be let down a little, but that's not a bust for me. He's just under what I thought he would become.

We all have different perspective of what a bust is. That's why a ask him what would be a bust regarding Brown.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
A guy drafted at #11 that becomes a regular NHL player is not a bust in my books. If he becomes a 2nd line center ~55 pts is a solid projection and a therefore was a great pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad