SEMIN: Unjust victim of a systematic process of intimidation, manipulation, and scape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1730945

Oh C'mon WFT, it isn't me (or others) "arbitrarily" setting high expectations and you know that. Just look at the prediction thread where almost everyone fell into the 60-70 or 70+ points prediction..and many predicting 30+ goals. You can't say with a straight face that Semin wasn't brought in here with the expectation to score.

1) When he came over, it was said that his last couple of years he had crappy linemates in Washington and thus the drop in his numbers

2) First season in Carolina? 44 points in 44 games. Heck after he got going last year, he ended up with 22 Goals in 65 games. Let's not act like he isn't capable of it.

3) He was signed to the current contract based on his performance in that strike shortened year.

Whether you want to admit it or not, expectations from the lion share of fans, media, and likely even the Canes organization was that he'll score ~65-70+ points. Just like the expectation for E. Staal is that he'll be in the 75+ point range. If they achieve that, people will likely be happy. If they fall far short, people will complain about it and question "intangibles".

BBA said it all. Do you guys really think Semin will score 30+ goals 70+ pts with AHL line mates ?

Semin will end up with 20 goals and 50 pts. Give him Skinner or one of the Staal bros to work with, and suddenly he returns to normal production.

The team is garbage from top to bottom, I'm not surprised that Semin is struggling, although I agree he isn't playing to his normal level. Perhaps he lacks confidence in his teammates.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Okay, but Semin hasn't scored more than 30 since 2009-10, before Jeff Skinner was even drafted. Hell, Skinner has done it almost as much as Semin has in their respective careers. Meanwhile, Carolina Semin is assisting on more goals per 60 minutes than Washington Semin was.

You're not allowed to arbitrarily set your own high expectations then get upset when someone fails to meet them.

That's not true. 2008-2010 Semin was miles ahead of Skinner at any point in his career. Don't make stuff up.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
that's exactly what I see watching Semin, especially even last night. He hit the stick out of frustration, and a couple times they zoomed in on his face and you could see IME a clear look of frustration and anger, exactly as you'd look when you give a damn
Yes, he was frustrated he didn't score. When or if I see him get mad at himself when he fails to back check or miss a defensive assignment because he's going through the motions, then I'll believe he fully cares.

Bottom line is his paltry stats don't bother me, but his paltry effort does.

bluedevil58*

I sware you guys beleive everything that Tripp Tracy says. Where is all the bashing towards Faulk or the rest of the team. What about Elias LIndholm? He has yet to score a SINGLE point. WHy is his clear lack off effort not being talked about?

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I sware you guys beleive everything that Tripp Tracy says. Where is all the bashing towards Faulk or the rest of the team. What about Elias LIndholm? He has yet to score a SINGLE point. WHy is his clear lack off effort not being talked about?
They've both been bad, invisible or both but the effort hasn't been lacking. AGAIN, it's not the lack of points, it's the lack of effort.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Yes, he was frustrated he didn't score. When or if I see him get mad at himself when he fails to back check or miss a defensive assignment because he's going through the motions, then I'll believe he fully cares.

Are you suggesting that this board has begun repeating something so much that it's like it's the God's honest truth?

You say that never happens. :)

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
You sure can tell a lot about effort from the other side of the television screen.

Quality example of stereotypical Semin slander

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Are you suggesting that this board has begun repeating something so much that it's like it's the God's honest truth?

You say that never happens. :)
Crazy, huh? I think the new trapezoid dimensions and hash mark lengths have skewed both depth and reality perceptions. ;)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
BBA said it all. Do you guys really think Semin will score 30+ goals 70+ pts with AHL line mates.

Jeff Skinner was a consistent scoring tthreat with Riley Nash as his center.

Remember, the main critique isn't if Semin needs to play better or not. It's double standards in the media.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
You sure can tell a lot about effort from the other side of the television screen.

Quality example of stereotypical Semin slander
Oh, please. Go watch practice and then come back. If you can't discern lack of effort during puck battles, etc. they maybe you should pay a little more attention to detail.

What pray tell is "stereotypical Semin slander?" Did I miss him shaking his head over missed assignments and missed backchecks? He has done both glaringly several times. Label it whatever you want, but he has taken way too many shift when he has gone through the motions. It may not even be intentional but whatever it is, he needs to get his head outta his arse.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
They've both been bad, invisible or both but the effort hasn't been lacking. AGAIN, it's not the lack of points, it's the lack of effort.

I didn't see the Winnipeg game, but is lack of effort the issue here? When I watch Semin, the problem is usually his relative lack of hockey sense leaving you wanting more, not effort.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I didn't see the Winnipeg game, but is lack of effort the issue here? When I watch Seminar, the problem is usually his relative lack of hockey sense leaving you wanting more, not effort.
Watch him without the puck. It's lack of effort, lack of assertiveness, and lack of commitment.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I actually think that was PK. I remember JR saying "I was told I had to get this done, get him signed".

One other thing I want to mention, I think this local media narrative is coming from the national media that's been doing it all along. John Forslund often mentions "talking to people around the league" and I think that's where his bias stems from, not the organization. He works other games, has other media contacts. And then the Maniscalco's and the rest run with it because they have no idea how to figure out what's wrong with the Canes other than leadership and effort.
About a week ago, I listened to Maniscalco and Forslund and Forsland was starting to go there with Semin not trying hard enough. Then Maniscalco interviewed Chuck K and he didn't follow the script. Actually used words like lacking confidence, instead of effort/heart. Coach Peters used other terminology as well but I can't remember what now.

I've been listening to away feeds since so not sure about lately, but they didn't all start this way. I really think it started with Forslund. Who again, gets his info from national media types. They did it last year too, though. Lack of effort was the mantra for every loss.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Post more, this is a pretty solid contribution IMO.

It's a perfect reflection of how a prevailing narrative about the guy can be so damn hard to shake.

We basically have nobody in the media around here that's willing to do so, unfortunately. At least nobody with a major voice.

bluedevil58*

So Tripp makes it a habit to call out every single one of Semin's mistakes and meanwhile doesn't once mention Faulk's or Lindholm's let alone go back to the slow motion of the mistake and they both make several as well.

The media is using Semin as a scape goat. I am actually getting tired of Tripp and his ranting about Semin.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The issue I have with Semin is that he's getting noticeably outplayed by other players on the team. Yes, the team sucks and that will affect a player's ability to produce. But when Boychuk, Terry, Brown, Nash, etc. are all generating more quality chances in their shifts than Semin is in his, that's not an issue of the team sucking.

It's easy to say that's because Semin is being focused on by defenses with all the talent in the lineup missing, but it's not like defenses weren't focusing on Semin before. Nor did that focus prevent Skinner from getting a few quality looks on net last night.

So Tripp makes it a habit to call out every single one of Semin's mistakes and meanwhile doesn't once mention Faulk's or Lindholm's let alone go back to the slow motion of the mistake and they both make several as well.

The media is using Semin as a scape goat. I am actually getting tired of Tripp and his ranting about Semin.

Kind of like how Tripp called out Skinner for his mistake on the first goal, then used slow motion to point out what Skinner did wrong? Or does that not count, since it doesn't fit with the "Semin as a scapegoat" narrative?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Watch him without the puck. It's lack of effort, lack of assertiveness, and lack of commitment.

I see these last two. I just think the root cause is different.

The difference being, you can easily fix effort levels. You dont even have to 100% all the time, you just have to try enough. But you can't fix hockey sense. You know it, or you don't.

The Semin I have seen this year is the same I have always seen. I don't think it's an effort issue.

bluedevil58*

The issue I have with Semin is that he's getting noticeably outplayed by other players on the team. Yes, the team sucks and that will affect a player's ability to produce. But when Boychuk, Terry, Brown, Nash, etc. are all generating more quality chances in their shifts than Semin is in his, that's not an issue of the team sucking.

It's easy to say that's because Semin is being focused on by defenses with all the talent in the lineup missing, but it's not like defenses weren't focusing on Semin before. Nor did that focus prevent Skinner from getting a few quality looks on net last night.

Kind of like how Tripp called out Skinner for his mistake on the first goal, then used slow motion to point out what Skinner did wrong? Or does that not count, since it doesn't fit with the "Semin as a scapegoat" narrative?

That was different....

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC

I get that but I don't really pay attention to Tripp, though I'll take your word for it. When Semin first arrived though, I do remember Tripp slobbering all over himself about the guy, so it doesn't seem like the bias some suggest. But it's usually a vet who is high-paid/over-paid he gets slammed not usually young guys, who are given more latitude.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

What has changed is the quality of his center.

Also small sample size. That's the main issue with the vitrol towatds Semin, its so personal over so little.

At the end of the day, Semin trying 110% probably isn't the difference between this team winning anything. The 'canes are a poorly built team, and further has its two top centers out. This is just a bait and switch by the media to get people to believe that all the canes need is effort. Which they don't. They kind of suck.

Last edited:

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
I get that but I don't really pay attention to Tripp, though I'll take your word for it. When Semin first arrived though, I do remember Tripp slobbering all over himself about the guy, so it doesn't seem like the bias some suggest. But it's usually a vet who is high-paid/over-paid he gets slammed not usually young guys, who are given more latitude.

Tripp's attitude probably changed because back then Semin gave Trip that exclusive interview complete with Tripp's 'attempt' at speaking the Russian language. Tripp's probably upset Semin doesn't want to hang out with him anymore. Can you blame Semin?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
http://www.canescountry.com/2014/10/22/7038279/game-analysis-hurricanes-at-jets

3. The Hurricanes are struggling with the game's fundamentals right now: clearing pucks out of the defensive zone, not turning the puck over at center ice, executing zone entries at even strength and on the power play. You'd like to attribute that to youth, but veteran players like Alexander Semin have been as guilty or more so than the 20-somethings in the lineup.

Minus

Justin Faulk — Speaking of Trouba, he was everything Carolina is hoping to get out of Faulk on a nightly basis. Unfortunately, right now Faulk is a total disaster on the back end. All that Peters can hope is that Faulk plays his way out of his funk. It's good to see Brett Bellemore play well and Ryan Murphy contribute wherever he is used, but the Hurricanes will continue to go nowhere fast if one of their best defensemen continues to play like he should instead be in the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad