Sean Couturier Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
This organization should not be lauded for Couturier's development. It's an absolute farce that an 8th overall pick, who showed complete mastery of being a defensive center by year 3, had to wait until year 7 to get an opportunity on a scoring line. They should be grateful he's a pretty humble guy and waited this long to ask to be given this role finally. Most other guys will have their agents take care of this much earlier when they haven't seen opportunities commensurate with their draft position and play.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
^ Agreed 100%. We are such a lucky franchise that he didn't want to rock the boat. Hell, he even took a long term deal on a relatively low salary compared to his skill set.

He's going to be flyers captain one day, I have no doubt about it. This kid is surely going to win a cup at some point.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think you guys are overdoing it here. He's been one of the best defensive forwards in the league for a while now. It wasn't that the organization stunted his growth or did something wrong, they were playing to his strengths (and one of his linemates used to be the top line center). When should they have moved Giroux from center? The first five years of Couturier's career Claude Giroux was scoring more points than anyone in the NHL IIRC.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts was scoring at a solid pace the last two years as a 2C/3C, he just couldn't stay healthy for 82 games.
31 ES points both seasons in 63 and 66 games, which prorates to close to 40 ES points a year.
This year he's on a 66 ES point pace, which is probably unsustainable, 40-50 ES points a year is fine for a top defensive center.
Playing on PP1 should be good for another 20 points a year.

So he's become a 60-70 point center who is above average defensively, doesn't get much better than that.
But that's a gradual improvement over the last two years, not a quantum jump.

Reactions: Curufinwe

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Couts was scoring at a solid pace the last two years as a 2C/3C, he just couldn't stay healthy for 82 games.
31 ES points both seasons in 63 and 66 games, which prorates to close to 40 ES points a year.
This year he's on a 66 ES point pace, which is probably unsustainable, 40-50 ES points a year is fine for a top defensive center.
Playing on PP1 should be good for another 20 points a year.

So he's become a 60-70 point center who is above average defensively, doesn't get much better than that.
But that's a gradual improvement over the last two years, not a quantum jump.
Yeah he's been awesome since he got here. He was a defensive stalwart for the first part, and now his offensive talents are being used. People just need something to complain about.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This organization should not be lauded for Couturier's development. It's an absolute farce that an 8th overall pick, who showed complete mastery of being a defensive center by year 3, had to wait until year 7 to get an opportunity on a scoring line.

He didn’t. He was used on scoring lines, notably with Voracek who was his most common line mate in 15-16 and 16-17, as soon as Hakstol became coach. That was year 5.

Berube was fired in part for not getting enough out of Couturier in year 4.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I knew that Couturier was underrated player in the world and I knew that he is great player.
But I still don't believe how great he is this season.

I don't think that he will score 40 goals but at least 30 goals yes for sure.

But I have question, who was last Flyer with +40 goals in one season? Carter? Gagne?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I knew that Couturier was underrated player in the world and I knew that he is great player.
But I still don't believe how great he is this season.

I don't think that he will score 40 goals but at least 30 goals yes for sure.

But I have question, who was last Flyer with +40 goals in one season? Carter? Gagne?

40 is definitely doable. He needs 15 goals over his last 39 games after registering 25 in the first 43. My guess is he finishes somewhere in that 35-40 range..which is absolutely nuts.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
40 is definitely doable. He needs 15 goals over his last 39 games after registering 25 in the first 43. My guess is he finishes somewhere in that 35-40 range..which is absolutely nuts.

So much for being a 40 point player.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux is the best on the team and 2nd leading scorer in the entire league and he's small.

Bigger isn't better. Skill and brains are always better than size.

All things held equal, bigger is better.

And Couts shows that it's the mix of skills, he doesn't have great speed, but he compensates with size, skill and a high hockey IQ. Size matters, whether back checking on defense, or shooting with a defender draped over him.

So EVERYTHING matters, and you have to think of the team as well, if all you have are small, speedy players, who forechecks, who backchecks, wins battles in the corners and boards, and screens the goalie in front of the net?

The beauty of guys like Couts is they make their linemates better because they can adjust their game to fit with different linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland