OT: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Three

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
So, like I mentioned, I'm pretty close to finishing Discworld, and I'm pretty undecided on what I should read next. I've narrowed it down to the following choices:

The Black Company
A Wizard of Earthsea
Before They Are Hanged (I read The Blade Itself recently and enjoyed it, but that was in the midst of my Discworld binge and I had bigger fish to fry)
The Brandon Sanderson secret projects
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The Lies of Locke Lamora
Consider Phlebas (I've read a couple other of the Culture novels and thought they were fantastic)

Thoughts/input? Should I just draw a name out of a hat?
Gil's All Fright Diner

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
So, like I mentioned, I'm pretty close to finishing Discworld, and I'm pretty undecided on what I should read next. I've narrowed it down to the following choices:

The Black Company
A Wizard of Earthsea
Before They Are Hanged (I read The Blade Itself recently and enjoyed it, but that was in the midst of my Discworld binge and I had bigger fish to fry)
The Brandon Sanderson secret projects
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The Lies of Locke Lamora
Consider Phlebas (I've read a couple other of the Culture novels and thought they were fantastic)

Thoughts/input? Should I just draw a name out of a hat?
Only one I’ve read on that list is the black company. I really enjoyed that one

Black Company is great..shocked that hasn't been adapted yet

I enjoyed The Belgariad and The Malloreon by David Eddings

more recently i've been into some humourous Sci Fi..Janitors of the Post Apocalypse i really enjoyed and wish it was more than 3 books

another older series is Phule's Company series but it kinda got stales towards the end

if ya want something just thoughtless fun..Monster Hunter International series
I love monster Hunter international. It’s the book equivalent of a summer blockbuster imo.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
IMG_1690.png

It felts like the only color he used to describe anything was ochre.
Starting book 3 now, here’s hoping for some puce or burnt umber.

He’s a big fan of “bestial” as well
IMG_1691.png

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Im a little confused. The tlan imass in book 1 were essentially a race of skeletons that rarely spoke. In book 3 they’re speaking up a storm. Is this prior to the imass become skeleton things or did Erickson need to flesh out the race, pun intended, to better utilize them?

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Im a little confused. The tlan imass in book 1 were essentially a race of skeletons that rarely spoke. In book 3 they’re speaking up a storm. Is this prior to the imass become skeleton things or did Erickson need to flesh out the race, pun intended, to bett8er utilize them?
Time is malleable. IIRC, Memories of Ice is a fair bit before the previous books.

Edit: nope, that's a different book

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Defect

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Im a little confused. The tlan imass in book 1 were essentially a race of skeletons that rarely spoke. In book 3 they’re speaking up a storm. Is this prior to the imass become skeleton things or did Erickson need to flesh out the race, pun intended, to better utilize them?

It’s been a while since I’ve read this, but wasn’t this just the story progressing? I don’t know if you’re finished with the book yet, but the answer I think is that this is what
Itkovian does.

Reactions: Lord Defect

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
It’s been a while since I’ve read this, but wasn’t this just the story progressing? I don’t know if you’re finished with the book yet, but the answer I think is that this is what
Itkovian does.
Didn’t open the spoiler, I just started book 3, maybe a chapter past the prologue.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
^ Great username.

"FX has finalized the main cast lineup for its upcoming Alien series and has officially given us the full details. The highly anticipated project is under the creative helm of Noah Hawley, who added six new members to the ensemble. The exciting declaration represents a significant milestone in the show's development, a series generating buzz-a-plenty since its original revelation.

Babou Ceesay, famous for his work in Guerilla and Damilola, will join the impressive lineup alongside Jonathan Ajayi, who some might know from his appearance in Wonder Woman 1984 and Noughts and Crosses. Also announced is Erana James, who fans loved in Uproar and The Wilds, and Lily Newmark, who celebrated for her performances in Pin Cushion and S** Education. Rounding out the cast for the Alien series, fans can expect Diêm Camille of Washington Black, Alex Rider 3 fame, and Adrian Edmondson (War & Peace, A Spy Among Friends)".

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Walton Goggins as a ghoul is inspired casting and I'm hyped for the show based on him alone tbh
There’s been one thing he’s been in that I didn’t like, but I’ll be damned if he didn’t play that character on sons of anarchy great.
I couldn’t even tell Goggins was the ghoul even after reading it. It looks like this once actor who I’m drawing a straight up blank on his name, just reddish and without a nose.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Goggins as a ghouls is just Josh Duhamel without a nose. Finally figured it out!
IMG_1789.jpeg
IMG_1788.jpeg

I knew the dude played a service member and it took far too long to remember he was in transformers.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
how was the show?
It i enjoyed it alot. Alot of shit going on at once but they did it well enough not to be confusing. Binge watched it one night i couldnt sleep and it kept me up. I read the first part but to be honest i should re read it and then read the rest.

Reactions: trostol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2