OT: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Three

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Well, I just finished The Shepherd's Crown, which marks the end of my Discworld journey*. I really can't recommend these books highly enough. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll groan at the incredibly lame puns, and if you're someone like @Beef Invictus you'll recognize some extremely obscure historical references. They're wonderful stories, with wonderful characters, with wonderful prose (even if they were written with 100% recycled words), by an absolutely wonderful man. Pratchett had a better grasp on the English language and the human condition than perhaps any other person who has lived.

Read these books people. You don't have to do all 41, but dip your toes in the water a bit. Your life will be better for it.

*I was reading on my Kindle, so I've yet to read The Last Hero, which is a graphic novel. I do have a copy of it, but I think I'll save it for a rainy day.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Well, I just finished The Shepherd's Crown, which marks the end of my Discworld journey*. I really can't recommend these books highly enough. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll groan at the incredibly lame puns, and if you're someone like @Beef Invictus you'll recognize some extremely obscure historical references. They're wonderful stories, with wonderful characters, with wonderful prose (even if they were written with 100% recycled words), by an absolutely wonderful man. Pratchett had a better grasp on the English language and the human condition than perhaps any other person who has lived.

Read these books people. You don't have to do all 41, but dip your toes in the water a bit. Your life will be better for it.

*I was reading on my Kindle, so I've yet to read The Last Hero, which is a graphic novel. I do have a copy of it, but I think I'll save it for a rainy day.
And if you have a hard time sitting down to read, the Penguin audiobooks are fantastic.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Abercrombie rocks. Read his stuff next.
I have decided that this is the path of wisdom. I sat down figuring I'd read the first few chapters of Before They Are Hanged and read almost a fifth of the book. I really appreciate how the prose is subtly different between the various POV characters, who are all amazing. Glokta continues to be the standout, though. He's rapidly climbing the ranks of my favorite characters of all time.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Just started A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet...so far so good even if some of rhe science seems..off

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I have decided that this is the path of wisdom. I sat down figuring I'd read the first few chapters of Before They Are Hanged and read almost a fifth of the book. I really appreciate how the prose is subtly different between the various POV characters, who are all amazing. Glokta continues to be the standout, though. He's rapidly climbing the ranks of my favorite characters of all time.
So Before They Are Hanged was a freaking roller coaster. I don't know the last time I blazed through a book that size in a week. I may read something a bit lighter before I finish the trilogy. A lot of that was dense and pretty grim.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So Before They Are Hanged was a freaking roller coaster. I don't know the last time I blazed through a book that size in a week. I may read something a bit lighter before I finish the trilogy. A lot of that was dense and pretty grim.

There's a trilogy by Brian Ruckley - the first book is called "Winterbirth." It's pretty much standard fantasy fare, but I really liked it. That could be something to try if you need a break from Abercrombie's grim neorealism.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
There's a trilogy by Brian Ruckley - the first book is called "Winterbirth." It's pretty much standard fantasy fare, but I really liked it. That could be something to try if you need a break from Abercrombie's grim neorealism.
Don't tempt me Cap. That sounds like it'd be right up my alley, but I still need to finish reading the books I own (I realize this will never happen before I die lol). I never read the Sanderson secret projects, so I may actually start on those. From what I've heard about it Tress of the Emerald Sea should be a nice palate cleanser.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Don't tempt me Cap. That sounds like it'd be right up my alley, but I still need to finish reading the books I own (I realize this will never happen before I die lol). I never read the Sanderson secret projects, so I may actually start on those. From what I've heard about it Tress of the Emerald Sea should be a nice palate cleanser.
Yes, Tress is a good change from Abercrombie. :thumbu:

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Any one other than me ever read the series, "The Damned," by Allen Dean Foster? I remember enjoying it, but other than the general premise, not much else. Might pick it up again.

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Yes, Tress is a good change from Abercrombie. :thumbu:
Indeed it was! That was a very cute story. I loved the inspiration from the postscript. The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies, so Sanderson changing the parameters a little was a delight. I think I caught most of the Cosmere references. I definitely spotted the Kandra right away, although that was pretty obvious.

For now, though, it's back to the mud. I'm really looking forward to Last Argument of Kings.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I guess I will check it out....

Which reminds me, Lego is selling a dune ornithopter set, which I obviously bought. This thing is badass. The wings expand and retract all at the same time via black magic f***ery, and they even flap!

34383C99-64D7-4687-8582-444650EB256D.jpeg

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Which reminds me, Lego is selling a dune ornithopter set, which I obviously bought. This thing is badass. The wings expand and retract all at the same time via black magic f***ery, and they even flap!

View attachment 820945
I saw that Microsoft Flight Simulator released a Dune ornithopter update where you're flying it on various missions and challenges on Arrakis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad