OT: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Three

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Maybe it's just me, but that felt so rushed, let's cram a bunch of scenes for book readers in, that had little to zero buildup (and therefore minimal impact) I'm sure I'll watch it again and reassess but for now, was not a fan.

One thing I know book readers were wondering about was taken care of very quickly :laugh:
Rand vs Turak was straight Indiana Jones lol!
I laughed because they used that clip of Turak getting set in the season preview like there was going to be an epic showdown. :laugh:

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Might as well repost here (just posted in the movie thread)

More sci fi related

I never saw Fire in the Sky ....but this write up and interpretation was interesting enough to make me wanna check it out. If in fact our consciousness survives into other dimensions as recently suggested and we just keep "swapping our skins," I definitely don't want to look like an alien but guessing in alternate universe I may....if so hopefully I'm as cool as Chewbacca..

Fire in the Sky: What the True Story Behind the '90s Movie Tells Us About Aliens Visiting Earth​

MSN

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Might as well repost here (just posted in the movie thread)

More sci fi related

I never saw Fire in the Sky ....but this write up and interpretation was interesting enough to make me wanna check it out. If in fact our consciousness survives into other dimensions as recently suggested and we just keep "swapping our skins," I definitely don't want to look like an alien but guessing in alternate universe I may....if so hopefully I'm as cool as Chewbacca..

Fire in the Sky: What the True Story Behind the '90s Movie Tells Us About Aliens Visiting Earth​

MSN

Fire In The Sky has imagery in it that stuck with every single person that saw it in the 90s. Some truly terrifying abduction shit.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Monarch and For All Mankind S3 in November. Gonna have to turn back on Apple TV for a couple months.

Reactions: trostol

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Not sure I want this. I wouldn't mind a reboot/continuation in animated form although not involving Greg Weisman who created the characters and was in charge of the animation would be questionable.

I just don't see how the actual physical look of the characters are going to translate into live-action, especially when they interact with humans regularly.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Explains why Robert Rusler has such a small/short role on Bablon 5

Still think he could have developed character into storylines/etc even if forced. It wasn't worst character, and every series has that guy who is more a bit character with occasional big moments.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

Not sure I want this. I wouldn't mind a reboot/continuation in animated form although not involving Greg Weisman who created the characters and was in charge of the animation would be questionable.

I just don't see how the actual physical look of the characters are going to translate into live-action, especially when they interact with humans regularly.
There’s no need for this.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
anyone know of a collection that has Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and We Can Remember it for you Wholesale in the same book

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

I guess both dropped because Nov 3rd is the full Japanese release of the original Godzilla so it's "Godzilla day"

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

I found my Christmas present to myself. Been trying to get the UK hardcovers forever but they're super expensive. I like the art better compared to the US ones.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

I found my Christmas present to myself. Been trying to get the UK hardcovers forever but they're super expensive. I like the art better compared to the US ones.
Did you read the secret books yet? The final book ties to Stormlight, but I thought it was the weakest of the four books from his secret project series.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

According to Stormlight subreddit they're abandoning the UK cover art. So the set will probably be incomplete. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just don't like the Whelan covers.

Edit: Yes I'm nerding out about book covers. If the art no matchy that upsets me. If they redesign the spines it upsets me. Man just when I was about to buy em my intuition clicked and told me to check the subreddit and I find out this news.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I finished I Shall Wear Midnight, fittingly, just after midnight today, which leaves me with just three Discworld books left. Snuff, Raising Steam, and The Shepherd's Crown.

I've been reading these for a year now. I'm not ready for this ride to be over. Terry Prachett had a better grasp on the human condition than anybody else I'm aware of, and it's heartbreaking that he passed as young as he did.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
So, like I mentioned, I'm pretty close to finishing Discworld, and I'm pretty undecided on what I should read next. I've narrowed it down to the following choices:

The Black Company
A Wizard of Earthsea
Before They Are Hanged (I read The Blade Itself recently and enjoyed it, but that was in the midst of my Discworld binge and I had bigger fish to fry)
The Brandon Sanderson secret projects
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The Lies of Locke Lamora
Consider Phlebas (I've read a couple other of the Culture novels and thought they were fantastic)

Thoughts/input? Should I just draw a name out of a hat?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
So, like I mentioned, I'm pretty close to finishing Discworld, and I'm pretty undecided on what I should read next. I've narrowed it down to the following choices:

The Black Company
A Wizard of Earthsea
Before They Are Hanged (I read The Blade Itself recently and enjoyed it, but that was in the midst of my Discworld binge and I had bigger fish to fry)
The Brandon Sanderson secret projects
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The Lies of Locke Lamora
Consider Phlebas (I've read a couple other of the Culture novels and thought they were fantastic)

Thoughts/input? Should I just draw a name out of a hat?
Abercrombie rocks. Read his stuff next.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Black Company is great..shocked that hasn't been adapted yet

I enjoyed The Belgariad and The Malloreon by David Eddings

more recently i've been into some humourous Sci Fi..Janitors of the Post Apocalypse i really enjoyed and wish it was more than 3 books

another older series is Phule's Company series but it kinda got stales towards the end

if ya want something just thoughtless fun..Monster Hunter International series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad