OT: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Three

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Season 2 of WoT is definitely better than the first. I don't hate it as much at least, but it's still frustrating. There are things I really like. I like the way they've portrayed Nynaeve, and the actress that plays her. I think Pike is playing Moiraine very well. I thought the breaking of Egwene was well done all around. I'm liking Verin.

And then they have a scene with Rand and Moiraine getting Lansplained about tied off shields Siuan wanting to cage Rand, Mat being whatever Mat is in this show, and some of the dialogue would make it difficult for any actor to pull off.

It's gotten better, but there are still some head scratchers for me.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Season 2 of WoT is definitely better than the first. I don't hate it as much at least, but it's still frustrating. There are things I really like. I like the way they've portrayed Nynaeve, and the actress that plays her. I think Pike is playing Moiraine very well. I thought the breaking of Egwene was well done all around. I'm liking Verin.

And then they have a scene with Rand and Moiraine getting Lansplained about tied off shields Siuan wanting to cage Rand, Mat being whatever Mat is in this show, and some of the dialogue would make it difficult for any actor to pull off.

It's gotten better, but there are still some head scratchers for me.
I don't like the new Mat, who also happens to have terrible chemistry with the Rand actor (no peach, himself).

For relative unknowns, the majority of the actors have done a good job.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Halfway thru gardens of the moon, man there’s a lot of moving parts in this one, but it’s really good so far.
I had a rough time with it, I didn't pick up the rest of the series for a few years after. But the rest of the series gets a lot easier once you've gotten the way the world works down.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just watched that new alien invasion movie No One Will Save You last night on Hulu. It was really good. Kind of like Signs meets A Quiet Place. Almost no dialogue in the movie because it just follows one lone girl played (fantastically I might add) by Kaitlyn Dever. They did some cool shit with the aliens that i've never seen before. Still not sure how I feel on the ending though.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I had a rough time with it, I didn't pick up the rest of the series for a few years after. But the rest of the series gets a lot easier once you've gotten the way the world works down.
The book feels like it’s the second in a series where you’re supposed to have more of a grasp of its lore and the characters identities.
It doesn’t help whomever the author is has almost as many characters as a GOT novel.
But it’s not a drag to read, and it doesn’t spend three pages describing the interior of a dining room that a character briefly walks past.
GOT may be a bit harsh but at the same time I start liking a character, and they’re dead.
Then there’s one fat eccentric wizard that I couldn’t stand but he quickly grew on me to become one of my favorite characters in the book thus far.
The lack of common names make things a little tricky to remember who is who but that stops after seeing the names a few times.
I think my biggest issue is that I’m reading it digitally and not with an actual book. Being unable to jump back to the start of each “book” to try to keep track of the passage of time sucks. I really should put a bookmark down now that I think of it.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Just watched that new alien invasion movie No One Will Save You last night on Hulu. It was really good. Kind of like Signs meets A Quiet Place. Almost no dialogue in the movie because it just follows one lone girl played (fantastically I might add) by Kaitlyn Dever. They did some cool shit with the aliens that i've never seen before. Still not sure how I feel on the ending though.
I was intrigued about that one after hearing about the lack of dialogue. Will have to check it out now.

I just saw that Tom Delonge's directorial debut drops this week. Monsters of California. Unsurprisingly, it's about UAP's etc. #TomWasRight

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was intrigued about that one after hearing about the lack of dialogue. Will have to check it out now.

I just saw that Tom Delonge's directorial debut drops this week. Monsters of California. Unsurprisingly, it's about UAP's etc. #TomWasRight

Technically there is plenty of dialogue, but it's between the aliens so you don't know what they're saying. Probably the coolest sounding alien voices I have ever heard though.

Last edited:

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
just about finished book 3 of The Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse and am kind of disappointed that it is indeed only 3 books long

also finished up the Phule's Company series and that ended weirdly...makes me wonder if he had more to write before he passed away

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
So Asuka finale

Was gonna be unsatisfying finale, but figured that would be a spoiler for expectations ;)

But jeez. Everything has be unresolved and just setting things up for the next show or event or whatever the hell Disney comes up with in order to keep putting something to watch.

and if you're gonna make the 'levels' in the show look like a video game, stop with the god damn kiddyfied violence. When the 'reanimated zombie' troopers started coming and we're still bunched up I thought "ok, maybe we're finally going to see a LIGHTSABER THROW mowing some of these things down."

Nope. Meh.

The worst part is nothing was resolved with Baylan's character so now there's going to need to be a recast or off-screen death.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
han-solo-star-wars.gif

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So Asuka finale

Was gonna be unsatisfying finale, but figured that would be a spoiler for expectations ;)

But jeez. Everything has be unresolved and just setting things up for the next show or event or whatever the hell Disney comes up with in order to keep putting something to watch.

and if you're gonna make the 'levels' in the show look like a video game, stop with the god damn kiddyfied violence. When the 'reanimated zombie' troopers started coming and we're still bunched up I thought "ok, maybe we're finally going to see a LIGHTSABER THROW mowing some of these things down."

Nope. Meh.

The worst part is nothing was resolved with Baylan's character so now there's going to need to be a recast or off-screen death.
There’s a lot at the end that people that haven’t watched the animated shows will completely miss.

Baylan’s character and what he was doing is going to be the center of everything to come.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Brutal Sabine force shit. Blargh.

This was always going to be multiple seasons, but I didnt think they'd leave Baylan's story completely off the table in the finale. We all knew he was going exploring; what a waste of 15 seconds of Ray Stevenson.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
My memory is shit, as you know. Help me.
The statues that Baylan was standing on/in front of are the Mortis Gods. We also saw Morai (the owl) fly away from Ahsoka towards the end which is tied to the Mortis Gods (specifically The Daughter).

Is Anakin the Father? Ahsoka the Daughter?

We saw before that they're tied to the World Between Worlds so since that was introduced to us during live action, i'm sure it's not going to go away.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The statues that Baylan was standing on/in front of are the Mortis Gods. We also saw Morai (the owl) fly away from Ahsoka towards the end which is tied to the Mortis Gods (specifically The Daughter).

Is Anakin the Father? Ahsoka the Daughter?

You mean that trio that were in the mosaic that Ezra broke through in the ruined Jedi Temple, where that Empire scholar was trying to solve the "puzzle"? And also in that "Clone Wars" ep where the daughter was the light and the son the dark?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
You mean that trio that were in the mosaic that Ezra broke through in the ruined Jedi Temple, where that Empire scholar was trying to solve the "puzzle"? And also in that "Clone Wars" ep where the daughter was the light and the son the dark?
ye, and the Father that was between them (light and dark).

The mosaic was tied to the World Between Worlds also.

Chicken N Raffls

Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I'm like 3 minutes or so into ep8 of WOT and already triggered/annoyed

Edit: For the record, I want to like this. I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard.

2nd Edit: Elayne is smokin and I won't hear otherwise

Edit 3: Holy smokes this is bad, I can't type it all out right now. My God

Edit 4: Fire everyone

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm like 3 minutes or so into ep8 of WOT and already triggered/annoyed

Edit: For the record, I want to like this. I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard.

2nd Edit: Elayne is smokin and I won't hear otherwise

Edit 3: Holy smokes this is bad, I can't type it all out right now. My God

Edit 4: Fire everyone
Oh no. :laugh:

At least I'll have low expectations for the finale. :laugh:

Chicken N Raffls

Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Finale had flaws, but was fine. Maybe it was the lowered expectations. :laugh:

Maybe it's just me, but that felt so rushed, let's cram a bunch of scenes for book readers in, that had little to zero buildup (and therefore minimal impact) I'm sure I'll watch it again and reassess but for now, was not a fan.

One thing I know book readers were wondering about was taken care of very quickly :laugh:
Rand vs Turak was straight Indiana Jones lol!

• Haha
Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad