Post-Game Talk: "Scheifele wins the draw, Ladd shoots it high!" And other ref stories. Jets fall 4-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I pretty much expect that Monty isn't likely much better than Pavelec. I don't fear that discovery. I'm hoping perhaps he might surprise me and be a bit of an improvement over Pav's though. I just don't see any benefit to playing Pav's more than Monty. In fact Pavs seems to play better when he's rested so maybe that (as well as a bit of healthy competition for the starts) might be a benny of playing monty more too...

I used "I fear" in the idiomatic sense, I don't literally fear that Montoya will regress with more playing time.

And I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Look where Pavelec is. He's got any shot from the corner covered.

BfIIvXwCQAIJe2y.jpg:large

I guess he's just covering up his weak spot from the Leafs game :naughty:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
:amazed: Ok, let's not get to out of hand now..

He's played a quarter of the games a regular starter would play. At what point to people start giving him credit?

I love how folks (not you specifically) defend Pavelec to the ends of the earth even though he has had a GIGANTIC amount of games to prove he is one of the worst NHL starters in the past 10 years, but will not give Montoya any credit for the impressive numbers he has so far.

Yet the second Montoya doesn't play lights out these same people are absolutely roasting him. It makes no sense at all.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
About an hour ago I was going to be snarky and start a 'Poll: Player Discussion: Do we need a 5th goaltender thread?' thread, but then thought better of it. :) Truly, I had it set up but then hit 'cancel'.

Well, we do need a sixth, but without the fifth I'm not sure how we'll ever get there.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We actually don't have an active thread about which FA goaltender we want signed going... Just saying.

Sounds like an #5 is born! In fairness I might read that one because it is more on the solution side of the equation vs the problem side which has been beaten to death.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Boy, that was a tough game to watch. We had no business being in that game after 2 periods. As much as I hate Pavs, I'm having a hard time putting the blame on him for this one. We sucked, plane and simple.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
He's played a quarter of the games a regular starter would play. At what point to people start giving him credit?

I love how folks (not you specifically) defend Pavelec to the ends of the earth even though he has had a GIGANTIC amount of games to prove he is one of the worst NHL starters in the past 10 years, but will not give Montoya any credit for the impressive numbers he has so far.

Yet the second Montoya doesn't play lights out these same people are absolutely roasting him. It makes no sense at all.

Much like the Pavs haters giving Monty a pass on goals they would have absolutely skewered Pavelec for. Makes no sense.

(And since any sort of level-headed view of the goaltending here is interpreted as Pavs-sympathizing, I'll state again that I'm not a "hater" of either goaltender. I think Monty deserves the next start, and as I'll be in attendance, I'm hoping for a similar performance to the last time I saw him start in person: His NYE shutout :yo:)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Boy, that was a tough game to watch. We had no business being in that game after 2 periods. As much as I hate Pavs, I'm having a hard time putting the blame on him for this one. We sucked, plane and simple.

Jets pun? :sarcasm:

The game in a microcosm: Preds score on the PP to start the third. Jets get a reprieve by having it waved off, only to have the Preds score in almost exactly the same manner off the next face-off. Really?

Scheifele was a monster - dude tried to put the team on his back as he did so many times with the Colts, to no avail.

I still say he's a PPG player next year if KSW stays together. :nod:

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets pun? :sarcasm:

The game in a microcosm: Preds score on the PP to start the third. Jets get a reprieve by having it waved off, only to have the Preds score in almost exactly the same manner off the next face-off. Really?

Scheifele was a monster - dude tried to put the team on his back as he did so many times with the Colts, to no avail.

I still say he's a PPG player next year if KSW stays together. :nod:

Pun? Nope, just my stupidity! :) I'm on vaca on some beach in the south so I've had a few already today if you know what I mean! LOL

Scheiff was brilliant, no doubt. I'm heartbroken as to who I should put on my next jersey. Troubs or Scheiff. I guess I'll have to get both!

Last time I checked this was a team game. I would love to see the puck possession times for the 1st two periods. I'm sure it would ugly for us Jets fans. Are my eyes lying to me?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Pun? Nope, just my stupidity! :) I'm on vaca on some beach in the south so I've had a few already today if you know what I mean! LOL

Scheiff was brilliant, no doubt. I'm heartbroken as to who I should put on my next jersey. Troubs or Scheiff. I guess I'll have to get both!

Last time I checked this was a team game. I would love to see the puck possession times for the 1st two periods. I'm sure it would ugly for us Jets fans. Are my eyes lying to me?

Troubifele? #855
Scheifba? #558

I've already decided to get Trouba on my blank, but right now I don't think you can go wrong!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Much like the Pavs haters giving Monty a pass on goals they would have absolutely skewered Pavelec for. Makes no sense.

(And since any sort of level-headed view of the goaltending here is interpreted as Pavs-sympathizing, I'll state again that I'm not a "hater" of either goaltender. I think Monty deserves the next start, and as I'll be in attendance, I'm hoping for a similar performance to the last time I saw him start in person: His NYE shutout :yo:)

Don't you think that a goaltender should get more of a pass on goals when he has a top 20 save percentage?

To me that says he is giving the team a better than average chance to win. All most of us have ever wanted from Pavelec is consistent league average numbers.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Everyone loved Bob Essensa back in the day too. He was also terrible. As was Cheveldae. We have a history of loving bad goaltending.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Staying positive: I think Scheif just played his name and number onto my white jersey.

Will wait till the end of the season to be sure but sure looking like 55 might be on my blue one! Really looking like he can be a beast!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Was pretty even possession-wise. Fenwick was 12-10 Preds after 1st; 26-21 Preds after 2; ended up 40-39 Jets. Jets won Corsi at evens, close, tied, overall. Pavelec just got outduelled by Carter Hutton for the 3rd time this season...

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Don't you think that a goaltender should get more of a pass on goals when he has a top 20 save percentage?

A bad goal is a bad goal, regardless of who's in net. The same applies to "no chance" goals.

Pavelec gets criticized for flopping like a fish on occasion. Monty loses the puck and does the same thing, yet no one mentions it. It's just how it is around here.

Monty's numbers are better this season and to my eye test, it seems the team plays better in front of him. I think he should start until he craps the bed. Then let Pavs play until he does the same. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Was pretty even possession-wise. Fenwick was 12-10 Preds after 1st; 26-21 Preds after 2; ended up 40-39 Jets. Jets won Corsi at evens, close, tied, overall. Pavelec just got outduelled by Carter Hutton for the 3rd time this season...

What does Fenwick/Corsi have to do with puck possession time? Nashville schooled us in the 1st and 2nd periods. We had no business being in that game and IMO were very fortunate to come out of the 2nd period tied up at 3. I fail to put blame on Pavs and the refs as many here have.

White Out 403*

What does Fenwick/Corsi have to do with puck possession time? Nashville schooled us in the 1st and 2nd periods. We had no business being in that game and IMO were very fortunate to come out of the 2nd period tied up at 3. I fail to put blame on Pavs and the refs as many here have.

What game were you watching?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad