Post-Game Talk: "Scheifele wins the draw, Ladd shoots it high!" And other ref stories. Jets fall 4-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
We don't have a great goalie or even an average one so you have to play mistake free.

That is the Jet's reality. There is no saviour in the minors coming up(Although I would like to see Pasquale given a chance). If they do make a trade you are getting a backup that has to prove he can be a starter.

With the way Pavelec has played this season outside of mid-November to early December, an average goalie would feel like a savior.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Maybe you just dont get it. By blaming the team as well as Pavelec last night you're creating a false equivalence to take heat off Pavelec. It's what happens in politics all the time.

"Your party spends too much!"
"Oh yeah, well, your party also spends too much! You have no morale high ground to say anything about us because of what your party does!"

Here you're saying pavelec played bad but the defense was also bad so you're doing 2 things:

1) Suggesting that Pavelec, had he got better support, may have eeked out a win
2) Diluting the argument. By taking attention off pavelec and spreading it to the D you're trying to create a false dilemna.

Our D and forwards out chanced the Predators last night but you honestly have the stones to come here and say it was a team loss.

I did no such thing. I think you're confusing "he's the reason we lost" and "He's the entire reason we lost". Of course if the D managed to be perfect we'd have won. But the biggest problem last night, and by a HUGE margin was Pavelec. It's not even close.

I suggest you look at the bolded part. I won't disagree that Pavs bears the majority of the blame but you suggest he deserves all of it.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
[mod]

And what point is that? The one where you said no one is stating that the goaltender is the only player who is responsible when the team loses?

Or the one where you implied I have some personal stake in Pavelec being a good goalie?

You think cherry picking a couple of Resurrections posts wins you a prize? You didn't include any of Resurrections posts where he acknowledges other weaknesses of the Jets. Why? Disingenuous? Ignorance? Deception? I honestly don't know what the reason is. You made the claim that many people here only blame Pavelec for our losses. Your evidence doesn't hold up.

Should we say blame the forwards for not scoring 5 goals? Do we need to talk chaos theory to absolve Pavelec? A butterfly in Brazil caused Pavelec to allow X bad goals?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Would you not agree that the phrase "He's the reason we lost" is pretty much the exact same phrase as "He's the entire reason we lost"? The first phrase says the same thing but omits the redundant "entire" from the sentence. It was confusing, for sure.

I would agree with Joe Hallenback that I'd put the 2nd goal more on the d than Pavelec, and I think they're equally to blame on the 4th.

This is called playing games. Some of us just like to understand the world. Winning arguments by playing with words doesn't do anything for me.

White Out 403*

I suggest you look at the bolded part. I won't disagree that Pavs bears the majority of the blame but you suggest he deserves all of it.

The bolded part said it wasn't a team loss. It isn't. This is Pavs loss. You're kind of nit picking but it's true. It's fair for me to say Pavs lost us this game but, it's not literally 100% of his fault.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This is called playing games. Some of us just like to understand the world. Winning arguments by playing with words doesn't do anything for me.

It's not attempting to win an argument with wording, I'd suggest that if I had said "The defence is the reason we lost" I would be subject to some very harsh posts suggesting I've absolved Pavelec of blame. I wasn't even the one debating Resurrection so I'm not trying to win anything here.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
The bolded part said it wasn't a team loss. It isn't. This is Pavs loss. You're kind of nit picking but it's true. It's fair for me to say Pavs lost us this game but, it's not literally 100% of his fault.

How about saying the majority of the blame goes to Pavs? the black and white nature of your posts certainly leaves the impression that you believe Pavs is 100% responsible. Mentioning the team's other deficiencies does not dilute the problem Pavs causes the Jets.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario

It's true that if he played his 100% best, we likely would have won it, but the same could be said for other players as well ... it's just that when a non-goalie isn't 100% the consequences are not as easy to trace or understand as they are for a goalie.

I am not seeing much difference in the quality of play of Pavelec and the quality of play of goalies we are facing. He seems pretty standard-issue for an NHL starter from that perspective. Thinking back, I wouldn't have traded his level of play for that of the opposing goalie all that often (last night, maybe, but even there he was only worse by a bit). I realize that the numbers sometimes suggest that he is not a great goalie, but I am sceptical about how much numbers can capture in hockey and in this case the numbers clearly reflect some combination of team defensive play and goalie play.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Noe... Oh crap...

They're dropping like flies!

Mark Stuart

Chris Thorburn

I can't think of any other scapegoats right now

nah they're useless UFA's...we won't have to worry about them after this season....unless....

well I'm sure Thor, Wright, and Stu will all be signed for multi-year extensions

tho I guess Stu is the only polarizing figure amongst those players

Oh dear god nooooooo!

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It's true that if he played his 100% best, we likely would have won it, but the same could be said for other players as well ... it's just that when a non-goalie isn't 100% the consequences are not as easy to trace or understand as they are for a goalie.

I am not seeing much difference in the quality of play of Pavelec and the quality of play of goalies we are facing. He seems pretty standard-issue for an NHL starter from that perspective. Thinking back, I wouldn't have traded his level of play for that of the opposing goalie all that often (last night, maybe, but even there he was only worse by a bit). I realize that the numbers sometimes suggest that he is not a great goalie, but I am sceptical about how much numbers can capture in hockey and in this case the numbers clearly reflect some combination of team defensive play and goalie play.

Except nothing you are saying is true. Take a gander.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLGAGALL&sort=savePercentage&viewName=summary

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

My new opinions is that I've determined its a frequent compounding of "softening" the facts that leads to people not calling Pavelec what he is, terrible.

this is a perfect example.

"The numbers sometimes suggest that pavelec is a "not great" goalie"

While technically true, its not quite as accurate as the whole truth:

"The numbers always confirm that Pavelec is a below average goalie."

it's the little difference between these two statements added up that leads to the disconnect. It may not seem like a big deal, but when it's done with everyone of his faults it compounds into people saying "well he's not a "great" goalie." or "well i'm sure there are outliers" or "well the stats aren't always right" or "he isn't ALWAYS bad".

The point being for pavelec to not be terrible, the stats would have to actually always be wrong. His norm would have to always be what is his outlier. Every pavelec focused situation would have to be an "exceptional" situation.

Over the last 5 years, Pavelec has never been above average as a goaltender. While i suppose Below Average could also be described as "not great", "not great" can describe a number of performances far better then Below Average. It's only a half trout. Pavalack has been "not good". he has been "not average". he has been "bad". all of these are more accurate statements then "not great"

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Wish I had a picture of an ostrich because anyone who is still making these sort of arguments is just totally ignoring the obvious - he's a minor league quality starting goalie (NHL back-up) now & he has been most of his career.

Sorry Pavs supporters, a goalie owns his save % (not the team). That's been proven time and again. Pavs save percentage has consistently been at least 10 percentage points below league average & at the NHL level THATS HUGE.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wish I had a picture of an ostrich because anyone who is still making these sort of arguments is just totally ignoring the obvious - he's a minor league quality starting goalie (NHL back-up) now & he has been most of his career.

Sorry Pavs supporters, a goalie owns his save % (not the team). That's been proven time and again. Pavs save percentage has consistently been at least 10 percentage points below league average & at the NHL level THATS HUGE.

I don't think "Pavs supporters" exist here, they're just a boogeyman made up by some people who choose to largely ignore the other problems with the team in favour of consistently pointing out Pavelec's subpar save percentage and numerous poor tendencies and habits. It's a (and I hate this word since it's overused) strawman argument that has been created and argued against by many that somehow posits that those of us pointing out the defensive failings of the team somehow make us supporters of Pavelec. Too many people have made it a black and white issue.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Well, if you sort that by GP or TOI he's Top 10! :)

BTW: It's ridiculous that this team continues to ride the 60th best SV% goalie in the league like this. Unconscionable. If Pavs plays more than 50% of the remaining games, then we have to assume that a) Noel and Maurice are both incompetent; or b) Some other mysterious figure is behind this...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I told myself that this would be the final year I look for the possibility of improvement from Pavelec.

The season is not yet up. I will still give Pavs the chance... but time is running out.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
From what I understand the correlation between Sv% and team is teeny-tiny, Pavelec has had a below average Sv% his entire career (save for 1 season) = Pavelec isn't very good regardless of the team playing in front of him or He has some how managed to play on teams with historically bad defences his entire career. Am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad