Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Do any Sting fans think that Kyrou was focused more on "Peoria" than "Sarnia"? He's usually more of a dominating force.
EDIT: my mistake...sorry, I thought the AHL affiliate was "Peoria".

Last edited:

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
An absolutely embarrassing effort on literally every aspect of the game. I don't care what anyone says this season was a massive failure. Anyone who says ohhhh were trending in the right direction because we made the second round is an idiot. Making the second round in the OHL is nothing to brag about. Failure on the ice and off the ice. Gave up a lot of picks for a second round exit. I feel bad for the fans who had to watch game 6. 4 min power play with the season on the line and nothing. Yay at least me made the second round tho and set a franchise record for playoff wins with a grand total of 6 !!!!!! Can't wait till some of these guys are gone, start fresh.

Reactions: TheCoach

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Do any Sting fans think that Kyrou was focused more on "Peoria" than "Sarnia"? He's usually more of a dominating force.

Peoria? It’s San Antonio. And I’d say no because I believe SAN Antonio is just about done for the season as well.

Reactions: nelli27

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Kyrou is with STL, who's AHL team is San Antonio and they didn't make the playoffs and their last regular season game was yesterday..

And STL's ECHL team is Tulsa, and they also didn't make the playoffs and their last regular season game was a week ago so he has nowhere to be focused on other than Sarnia

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
An absolutely embarrassing effort on literally every aspect of the game. I don't care what anyone says this season was a massive failure. Anyone who says ohhhh were trending in the right direction because we made the second round is an idiot. Making the second round in the OHL is nothing to brag about. Failure on the ice and off the ice. Gave up a lot of picks for a second round exit. I feel bad for the fans who had to watch game 6. 4 min power play with the season on the line and nothing. Yay at least me made the second round tho and set a franchise record for playoff wins with a grand total of 6 !!!!!! Can't wait till some of these guys are gone, start fresh.
nobody said they were happy about being out in the 2nd round or not having playoff success, I was simply making a comparison from what the ciccarellis accomplished in 20 years to what Hatcher and legwand have accomplished in 3 years. And it’s clear Hatcher and company are already way more successful than the ciccarellis goofs... I was also saying don’t blame the 20 years of being the laughing stock of the league on the new owners because that wasn’t on them... ya i was hoping and expecting a conference final this year but I wasn’t expecting a championship final with this team to be honest.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
And if you can’t see this team trending in the right direction on and off the ice based on the past 3 season, I’m sry but you are blind

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
And if you can’t see this team trending in the right direction on and off the ice based on the past 3 season, I’m sry but you are blind
Lol show me results that matter. First round loss, first round loss, second round loss, lol yes I guess thats a positive Trend. But anything is a positive trend if you start at the bottom. Looking at the roster next year, man I don't see this team being any good. Unless we get those American kids we wasted picks on. We are losing a ton and don't have a whole lot coming in. We will see how much patience is shown next year.

getrdone71

Sep 17, 2008
Well that game was rough to watch.... but something at the very end of the game bothered me with G.Smith. When going thru the shaking hands he purposely wouldn’t shake hands with 2 guys. Not sure what it was about but it’s embarassing to fans and players when that happens... cause at the end of the game: it’s just a game.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Just a thought and never thought about this before.
Whats the stats of previous WJHC players? For a lot of them going to the OHL camp, then scuttled away to their NHL camps, then back to the OHL clubs playing a ton of minutes. Now they go to the WJHC (thankfully close this yr) and win gold there and then back to their OHL clubs playing big minutes. Then the grind of the playoffs start in a tight schedule. (not even factoring in in bus-trips and on-ice practices)
Not saying this is an excuse but that's quite the physical schedule and maybe Kyrou just got worn out.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I don’t think the team will be too bad next year, I remember the Ohl predicted the sting to finish 4th or 5th in the west this year and look what happened.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Well that game was rough to watch.... but something at the very end of the game bothered me with G.Smith. When going thru the shaking hands he purposely wouldn’t shake hands with 2 guys. Not sure what it was about but it’s embarassing to fans and players when that happens... cause at the end of the game: it’s just a game.

Racists remarks were believed to have happen towards Smith in game 1 or 2. Can’t blame Smith if it was one of those players that made the remarks and he didn’t want to shake their hands.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Racists remarks were believed to have happen towards Smith in game 1 or 2. Can’t blame Smith if it was one of those players that made the remarks and he didn’t want to shake their hands.
I certainly hope that is not the case. That would be a very serious issue that the league would have to look at if true. These players are all educated in how to respect other players.

Last edited:

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I certainly hope that is not the case. That would be a very serious issue that the league would have to look at if true. These players are all educated in how to respect other players.
I’d assume if that was the case the Ohl would have looked at it and disciplined the players by now

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
Kyrou is with STL, who's AHL team is San Antonio and they didn't make the playoffs and their last regular season game was yesterday..

And STL's ECHL team is Tulsa, and they also didn't make the playoffs and their last regular season game was a week ago so he has nowhere to be focused on other than Sarnia
St. Louis is sharing affiliates this season with Colorado (San Antonio) and Vegas (Chicago Wolves). S.A. is not a full time Blues affiliate until next season. Chicago won the AHL Central Division so they are still playing. In order for Kyrou to play in Chicago, VGK, Chicago Wolves and STL Blues would have to agree to make a spot for him on the roster if they are willing to scratch a current player from their roster.

White Smurf

Jan 1, 2013
Hats off to the Rangers. They played as though they wanted it. Sarnia was far too soft to be taken seriously in this series. Smith had his way & bullied them all 6 games. Great player.
Kyrou should be embarrassed. His play all playoffs was horrible. Far too timid to take any contact. Will be interesting to see how he attempts that in STL.

Fazio was unreliable. When the team needed a save he would provide them with a goal against.

Like another member said. It will be nice to get rid of a few faces & start fresh.

Reactions: davewheeler

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
4% on the power play and 3 goals between our “top 2” guys is exactly why we are out of the playoffs. Embarrassing effort by 21 and 25. They should be ashamed honestly and so should the coaching staff for allowing it to drag on until it was too late. Great regular season but piss poor playoffs. I feel bad for the guys that showed up and worked their asses off every game and this is the result they get. In the end we can chalk this up as another disappointing season.

Have a good summer everyone.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
4% on the power play and 3 goals between our “top 2” guys is exactly why we are out of the playoffs. Embarrassing effort by 21 and 25. They should be ashamed honestly and so should the coaching staff for allowing it to drag on until it was too late. Great regular season but piss poor playoffs. I feel bad for the guys that showed up and worked their asses off every game and this is the result they get. In the end we can chalk this up as another disappointing season.

Have a good summer everyone.
It's tough for me to see it any other way. If I had posted on this thread in December I thought Kole Sherwood was a "better" or more productive player than Kyrou I would have got laughed off the board. The fact even Jordan produced more than Ruzcika this playoff is stunning. I was following all NA hockey pretty intently from the late 80's until about 2000ish when my playing days started to wind down and I started focusing on other stuff and only watching the NHL and the odd NCAA/AHL game. I remember the Sting being around and seeing a few guys like Stamkos coming up but not much more. So my perception of the organization is basically just the Hatcher era. I'm kind of blind to what has happened before. I certainly wouldn't consider the org FAILURES. A disappointing end to 15-16 for sure but that was a great team followed by a real quick rebuild and then another solid roster and season. Unfortunately they banked this seasons fortunes on the wrong star players. Fazio might have not lived up to his potential but my concerns about him heading into the playoffs were small. I can't fault them for rolling with him too much. As much as I liked him as a player, I'm not a fan of Hatcher behind the bench. Mostly because I'm an opposing teams fan. I really hope the fan base doesn't turn on the new ownership because we all know how that can go in this league. They haven't figured out how to get it done in the post season just yet but they're young, new owners, young coaches and from my perspective have a bright future in this league. They've been pretty damn successful in just about everything except post season success. It's been three years. THREE. In the toughest conference in all of junior hockey. Give 'em a little more rope before you guys hang 'em.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I’d assume if that was the case the Ohl would have looked at it and disciplined the players by now

If you look at Josh Brown tweeter on April 6 at 8:59. Ernst did something that got him kicked out of the game. You will not find it on the scoresheet but I was at the game and was waiting for the call but it was never announced. Never seen that happen before. If a player gets kicked out they annouce the penalty. For how much Hatcher barks at the refs about calls he did not say a thing about this game misconduct. If memory serves me correct Ernst was right around Smith at the time. Someone is the tweeter mentioned racial slur but it was not confirmed anywhere.

Point being that if Smith didn’t shake Ernst hand I’m guessing it has to do with what was said in game 1. And although the comment was made about it “being a game” if someone went way over the top you can not fault Smith for not shaking hands.

Reactions: Behindthescenes

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If you look at Josh Brown tweeter on April 6 at 8:59. Ernst did something that got him kicked out of the game. You will not find it on the scoresheet but I was at the game and was waiting for the call but it was never announced. Never seen that happen before. If a player gets kicked out they annouce the penalty. For how much Hatcher barks at the refs about calls he did not say a thing about this game misconduct. If memory serves me correct Ernst was right around Smith at the time. Someone is the tweeter mentioned racial slur but it was not confirmed anywhere.

Point being that if Smith didn’t shake Ernst hand I’m guessing it has to do with what was said in game 1. And although the comment was made about it “being a game” if someone went way over the top you can not fault Smith for not shaking hands.

As I understand, Ernst did not say anything verbally. I have been told that it was an obscene gesture made. But then I am not sure if it was made at Smith or not. So I cannot say. But one thing that I can say is that if he directed a racial slur at Smith, and that was the reason for the misconduct, then that comes with an automatic suspension. Since there was no suspension, I doubt very much that he said anything verbally to Smith along those lines.

Reactions: robp1219

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
Disappointing end to the season that could have been . Would have been nice to see the Hounds or the Attack for a best of 7. At the end it looked like Eliot and Dineen were gassed , way too much ice time but what can you do , Grima looked AWFUL and Schlichting and Calvas average . Good to see Sali come back , he must have been hurting.Bye to #21 , maybe Sinclair can draft another import like Hugo that has some fire. Rome wasn't built in a day , I hope Hatcher will see this

Hardcore Techno

Mar 28, 2018
Im a Hounds fan, i understand your pain. Its been 25 years since glory. Im ready to give up on this team. Whats its going to take ???

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Ernst got kicked out for calling someone a schmelt...wasn't a raical slur so put that to bed. He'd be suspended if that was the case. Smith didn't shake Rymsha's hand last night then went on to taunt the crowd after the handshake. Smith is a good player when he plays the game right but his demeanor and attitude is embarrassing and a disgrace to the game.

Reactions: Jay86 and Stingland
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad