Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Forget the goalie , the guys that scored record number of goals this year are doing nothing, if these guys were scoring like they were expected to we would be on to the round. Fazio carried this team on his back the entire season, I was at every home this year, going after Fazio is an insult in my opinion
No one is going after Fazio, I have been saying he's been a stud all year and he absolutely carried the team on his back all season. But thats not the case anymore. It's too hard to say "what if" lets just simply look at whats happening. Yes, the Sting power and top line is doing nothing, Yet we carried a lead with 6 minutes left in the biggest game in Sting history, the team was playing one of their best games of the playoffs and then our goalie lets in a soft goal, a floating puck again, between his arm and body again. That is simply a game killing goal, no, that goal wasn't the game winner but it is so hard to come back from something so deflating. Those goals can't go in if you want to win.

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
No one is going after Fazio, I have been saying he's been a stud all year and he absolutely carried the team on his back all season. But thats not the case anymore. It's too hard to say "what if" lets just simply look at whats happening. Yes, the Sting power and top line is doing nothing, Yet we carried a lead with 6 minutes left in the biggest game in Sting history, the team was playing one of their best games of the playoffs and then our goalie lets in a soft goal, a floating puck again, between his arm and body again. That is simply a game killing goal, no, that goal wasn't the game winner but it is so hard to come back from something so deflating. Those goals can't go in if you want to win.
To WIN games you have to score goals..look at the shots on goal we had , this is supposed to be a team sport.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
To WIN games you have to score goals..look at the shots on goal we had , this is supposed to be a team sport.
I think people are missing the point, with 6 minutes left in the game we had scored more goals than Kitchener. Doesn't matter if was 10-9 or 2-1 with 6 minutes we were winning. Then a soft goal goes in. 10-9 or 2-1 thats a soft deflating goal. 6 minutes away from possible being up 3-2 coming home to earn a trip the the west finals. I am just being consistent. Kyrou carried the team all year in the regular season, same with Fazio. Kyrou getting crapped on in the playoffs when he plays bad, but when Fazio does its oh he gets a pass.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Actually, to win a hockey game, you simply need to score 1 more goal than your opponent, doesn't matter how many you score you just need to score one more than your opponent. lol I can't believe I just had to say that.

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
Actually, to win a hockey game, you simply need to score 1 more goal than your opponent, doesn't matter how many you score you just need to score one more than your opponent. lol I can't believe I just had to say that.
Why you would pick on a player that is not even drafted and let guys that are supposed to move to the next level off , oh I know you mentioned them but you continualy unload on a guy that will most likely go to school next year ( after a great JR career )

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Man you need to go back and check my previous posts, Ive been critical of kyrou and ruzicka while defending Fazio all playoffs. No one is being picked on I simply stated he let in a soft goal at a critical point in a game which cost them a 3-2 series lead. Oh yes, Fazio is going to school next year therefore you cannot criticize him lol good logic. Yah I agree he's had a great Jr career, doesn't mean he's not playing his best now. It's annoying when people get off topic and play the sensitive card, I guess these are the times tho.

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
Man you need to go back and check my previous posts, Ive been critical of kyrou and ruzicka while defending Fazio all playoffs. No one is being picked on I simply stated he let in a soft goal at a critical point in a game which cost them a 3-2 series lead. Oh yes, Fazio is going to school next year therefore you cannot criticize him lol good logic. Yah I agree he's had a great Jr career, doesn't mean he's not playing his best now. It's annoying when people get off topic and play the sensitive card, I guess these are the times tho.
Good bye Dave

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Why you would pick on a player that is not even drafted and let guys that are supposed to move to the next level off , oh I know you mentioned them but you continualy unload on a guy that will most likely go to school next year ( after a great JR career )

You are right. The vitriol should be directed towards the sting front office. It’s not Fazio’s fault that he’s a fraud. He’s doing the best he can. It’s managements fault for not upgrading the position at the deadline. This organization will never learn.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
You are right. The vitriol should be directed towards the sting front office. It’s not Fazio’s fault that he’s a fraud. He’s doing the best he can. It’s managements fault for not upgrading the position at the deadline. This organization will never learn.

Give it a rest. Your opinion is laughable. Fazio has arguably been the most important player on the team this year.

Despite last night's blown opportunity this is still a very winnable series and for the most part the Sting have been the better team. I would expect the team to come out with guns blazing on Sunday. Unfortunately, its pretty clear that the big guns are MIA and that's not going to change so the team will have to rely guys like Franco and Josling to carry the load. I'm expecting a Sting victory tomorrow and back in Kitchener Tuesday for game 7.

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
Give it a rest. Your opinion is laughable. Fazio has arguably been the most important player on the team this year.

Despite last night's blown opportunity this is still a very winnable series and for the most part the Sting have been the better team. I would expect the team to come out with guns blazing on Sunday. Unfortunately, its pretty clear that the big guns are MIA and that's not going to change so the team will have to rely guys like Franco and Josling to carry the load. I'm expecting a Sting victory tomorrow and back in Kitchener Tuesday for game 7.
You are correct all the way, this whole team deserves full support considering the show they gave us all year .

flangoid

Sep 8, 2010
Sarnia
In every game, there are literally thousands of decisions that are made. Most don't affect the outcome of the game but I want to talk about one that did and I haven't seen mentioned.

The job of the coaching staff, and inevitably the head coach, is to put systems in place and make the decisions that put the players in the best position to succeed.
On the game 6 overtime winning goal, the head coach failed to do that.

I was sitting there watching the game on TV and I knew the potential problem as it was unfolding. I kept waiting for coach Hatcher to intervene. Sadly, he did not.

The PVR allowed me to go back and double check it for specifics (I should of written it all down for the sake of 100% accuracy in this post but I assure you I'm not far off in the times I'm about to quote)

There was exactly 14:10 remaining in the first OT when Schlichting and Grima got on the ice. Approx 13:50 left when McGregor-Josling-Leufvenius got on. The shift was fast paced and back and forth. The Sting got hemmed in and were looking to get a stoppage or change. Grima got the puck, just to Fazio's right and looked like he had some room to skate. I assume he was too gassed, as he'd already been out for over a minute in the games fourth period, and he flipped it down the ice for an icing call with approx 12:45 left. I put it down to fatigue on Grima's part as you could see all 5 Sting players labouring out there. The Sting couldn't make a change. The D had been out for 1:25 and the forwards for 1:05.

As I was sitting there I was certain coach Hatcher had seen the same thing I did and I fully expected him to call his timeout.
The camera showed the bench and defence coach Staubitz turned his back to the camera, towards coach Hatcher. I couldn't see if Staubitz said anything but Hatcher never moved his eyes towards him, and neither did coach Legwand, further down the bench.
You KNEW the players were looking for help. Josling, knowing he couldn't change and trying anything, went from the face-off circle back to the bench before the ref angrily told him to get back for the draw. He was trying to give everyone a few seconds extra.

The puck dropped and the Sting got it just over centre, but not far enough that any player could make it for the long change. Back into the Sting zone. The boys are on fumes but they get it out again; this time as far as the face-off circle in the Kitchener end. Schlichting and Grima HAVE to get off as they've been out for almost 2 minutes, so they go to the bench, McGregor makes it too. The Ranger D knows this and fires a long pass, just over centre, up to their wide open right winger. Rymsha is off the bench and the closest guy to defend. He hustles to cut off the winger (Mascharin?) and sprawls on the ice to take away the pass to the middle. The pass never gets through and the two players and the puck end up in the corner to Fazio's left. Mascherin gets it over to the opposite side where Bunnaman(?) is being defended by the still on the ice Leufvenius. The fresh Bunnaman passes out front to Hugg for the game winner, with defenceman Hatcher trying to get in the play and being the closest player to Hugg, and 12:04 remaining in the frame.

THAT falls on the coach.

He still had his timeout. It's OT and there is no reason to save it for any other reason than where there is a seriously potential mismatch on the ice.
Coach Hatcher did not put his players in a position to succeed and I hope he told them words to that affect right after the game.
Every player is accountable to the team.
Every coach is accountable to the team.

It's one game of a seven game series and this one isn't over.
I honestly believe the Sting were the better team in game 6 and happened to lose.

Beyond that; I saw some changes by the coaches to revise the power play. The drop pass at centre ice was gone in game 6 but the play in the offensive zone was still all around the outside. There was 'usually' one man in front but the design has been the open shot from the perimeter or the low man to slide to an opening in the slot. The Rangers know this and set up for it with a high box. Why not put two forwards down low? Why not make it more difficult for the down low defenders and Culina to see the puck and then one of the two men can slide out? Why not make drastic changes to the players on the PP unit? It's been 12 playoff games and it's clear what isn't working. A change is essential if survival is the goal. I fully understand the theory of 'go with the guys that got you there' but there is no denying who is hot and who is struggling, on top of the play selection.

I didn't want to get into specific things with individual players but I've seen too many negative posts to not add my comments. Yes Kyrou is struggling but I have seen positive signs. I thought his game 5 goal would really change his mindset. He's a premier offensive talent and has to trust himself. Don't always look to pass; take your shot. Ruzicka has a fantastic wrist shot and he too just needs to shoot more. He can be streaky and when he gets his first goal, he'll get 6 in 4 games. Both those men can score on any goalie in this league and just need to trust themselves. Ang has more speed than any player in this series and his 'go to', when he comes down the right side, and has a shoulder on the defender, is to circle behind the net and look for a man in the middle. It originates multiple times a game because of his ability to get ahead of the defender. Unfortunately the Rangers know where he's inevitably going and defend against that very play. He has the speed and skill to turn towards the net. I wish he would do this. Take the inevitable hit, get the puck towards the net, and watch the havoc ensue. All 3 men are greatly capable.

It's a close series. A tough series. It's a winnable series for Sarnia.

GO STING GO!!

Last edited:

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Interestingly enough, although they were the goal scoring saviors, the Josling / Leufvenius line was out there for all 3 KIT goals. ( I still love ‘em and their hustle, but just sayin’)

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Win or lose tomorrow night I’m proud and thankful I got to watch the success this team has had in the regular season and it was nice to see the second round! But this series isn’t over, sarnia can win two games back to back no problem!! ... hard on the forecheck boys, shoot shoot shoot and fight hard!! Go Sting Go!

Reactions: The Howler

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
I assume you are not renewing your season tickets

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
I assume you are not renewing your season tickets

Was a season ticket holder for 9 seasons dating back to Sarnia Arena. This organization has a bad stench that they can’t rid themselves of. They lose this series they will have a tough time drawing 2000 a game next year. Say what you want but people are fed up. 20+ years of ineptitude.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Was a season ticket holder for 9 seasons dating back to Sarnia Arena. This organization has a bad stench that they can’t rid themselves of. They lose this series they will have a tough time drawing 2000 a game next year. Say what you want but people are fed up. 20+ years of ineptitude.
Gotta agree with Poulin there. My parents were season ticket holders for 6-7? years. Seems like every team in the OHL has had their turn winning the league or making the finals except Sarnia. London, Guelph, Windsor, Soo, Kitchener, Erie, Owen Sound. Hell even Mississauga and Brampton have made the finals. As of now Sarnia is in a battle with Flint and Saginaw for the worst franchise in the West.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Ya the franchise has been bad , but I’m not sure what the new owners have to do with what the ciccarellis did for the 20 years they had them... as far as I’m concerned when an organization changes owners, the new owners don’t get blamed for what the people did before they arrived...3 years of Hatcher and legwand.... division title, 2nd place league finish, broke the 1st round curse and brought this team farther in the playoffs (wins wise) than the ciccarellis ever did in their 20 years with the team.... that has happened in 3 years! Things don’t happen over night, they take time, and do you notice how things are going in the right direction? Rather than staying the same or getting worse... ya I’m pissed they haven’t been to the finals either, but as far as I’m concerned this organization is in their 3rd year and that’s a lot of good in 3 years and it’s going in the right direction, and I’m just going to throw in there that the arena additions have been very nice too, another thing ciccarellis ignored....but enough of this talk playoffs are still on and a conference appearance is still very much up for grabs for us! Go Sting Go!

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
Well a positive thing in all of this you wont be there.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Amen to that! ... (fraud goalie) f*** that’s annoying, only 1 goalie that’s a major upgrade in the league and that’s dipietro, and if we would of went and got him we would be in the basement of the league for sure the next two years, and who knows if that would of even got us by Kitchener or the conference finals

Sauceboss

Mar 26, 2016
Best comment here! The guy has some issues, he is a negative Nance, Joyless Jan, Sad Sally, Mean Mabel, or a Loser Lucy (take your pick). Faz has had a great year not sure why he calls him a fraud, must have some issues of his own!

Reactions: The Howler

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
He makes a good point, though, in that a series win would be great for hockey in Sarnia. Really wish I could pull for you guys. (Though if you beat the Rangers, I will!)

Reactions: davewheeler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
in typical fashion, Sting carried the first 10-15 minutes of play .... get a big goal ... next shift Kitchener comes down and scores a questionable goal, deflating. Fazio seems more worried about getting physical with guys in front of the net than he does stopping the puck.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Yep that made the game 1-1 ... sting leave fazio out to dry for the 2nd and 3rd goal to make it 3-1.....

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Last 20 minutes of a Elimination game and a winnable game.. and the team behind in the series and game gets outshot 8-3 in the first 5 minutes with no power plays..did Hatcher tell them to give up in the intermission? I also didn’t like the line juggling either, I would of separated kyrou and ruzicka but that’s it... and I would of kept jos mcgregor and leafvenius together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad