Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Ernst got kicked out for calling someone a schmelt...wasn't a raical slur so put that to bed. He'd be suspended if that was the case. Smith didn't shake Rymsha's hand last night then went on to taunt the crowd after the handshake. Smith is a good player when he plays the game right but his demeanor and attitude is embarrassing and a disgrace to the game.
Lol Ernst got kicked out for using the word schmelt??? .... Man that word was so commonly used back when I played. Were going to see Hatchers true plan in a few years when his kid is done playing. I can see him stepping down as the head coach after his kid is gone and letting Legwand be the head coach. Best team in Sting history as far as points wise (deff not the best team the sting have ever had) and we only pull 6 playoff wins is alarming. Also, a huge shout out the the Sting players besides Kyrou, Ruzicka, Pezzetta and Fazio. They were so close to winning game 5 and being up 3-2 and maybe winning the series and they did that with no heart and no production from their "top guys" and poor goaltending. The series would have been a lot different with a big goal or big save but it didn't happen. I cancelled my season tickets 4? years ago now, we get a flex pack of tickets now, but we probably will not do that next year. Were growing sick of supporting this team and not much coming back the other way. I totally understand why the Sting didn't sell out a single playoff game.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Ernst got kicked out for calling someone a schmelt...wasn't a raical slur so put that to bed. He'd be suspended if that was the case. Smith didn't shake Rymsha's hand last night then went on to taunt the crowd after the handshake. Smith is a good player when he plays the game right but his demeanor and attitude is embarrassing and a disgrace to the game.

Agree 100% with your post.Tired of people running to the race card with Smith. Sorry you act like an idiot like him against 16-20 yr olds somebody is going to allow their emotions to take over. Taunt the crowd is a disgrace don't care who's team the player plays for.Time for Smith to put the big boy pants on and understand that if your going to dance, you gotta pay the fiddler.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Agree 100% with your post.Tired of people running to the race card with Smith. Sorry you act like an idiot like him against 16-20 yr olds somebody is going to allow their emotions to take over. Taunt the crowd is a disgrace don't care who's team the player plays for.Time for Smith to put the big boy pants on and understand that if your going to dance, you gotta pay the fiddler.

Before you get too righteous about the situation, remember that the Sting taunted the Kitchener crowd (and bench) multiple times in the series. It goes both ways. I agree with you. I hate all of it and think you should conduct yourself with class at all times, but let's not pretend this is just a Smith issue. And having witnessed first-hand a gesture one player made to him in Game 2, let's just say it's fair to call this a both team issue. And really a teenage male issue. You don't see it from the pros much.

On an unrelated note - thanks to the Sting for a great series. Both teams were similar and one had to lose, but I really wanted the city of Sarnia to have reason to celebrate. Hopefully this trends the right way now.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Well, the day after, still have kinda mixed emotions about this season. Ask me in September and I’m thinking 3rd or 4th in the division and maybe sneaking into the 2nd round of playoffs would be a good season. Ask me in March and I’m expecting to have a run at Soo (or OS) for the conference championship. From one perspective, a very pleasant surprise, but still a bitter disappointment for long-suffering Sting fan.
Pleased that management made a play for talent at the trade deadline - committed to go for it - but at this point I’m not sure if it helped or hurt. Pickups of Dineen and Eliot didn’t cost us much at the time, but since it didn’t work out, that ended up costing Kammerer, Hogue and Marko J a lot of ice time and could have delayed their development by half a season.
Pezzetta and Ang both started fast but in my mind fizzled out as the season wore on. Pezzetta produced less offense than I anticipated, and Ang must be the most difficult line mate to play with that I have ever seen. Their efforts & hustle were outstanding but results were a touch less than I expected.
Excellent season by Fazio but the playoffs seemed to get into his head and he was outplayed in both series. Unless you have a super team (read Erie last year), you need a Dipietro or a Parsons or a McNiven, etc., to get through. OK tending is not good enough in the playoffs.
Really missed Salinitri vs Kitch, but Kitch was missing Hall who was one of their best D, and still stuck it to us. If somehow Sali is back next year, I’d nominate him or Macgregor for the “C” (although I don’t know their dressing room leadership potential). Love their work ethic on the ice.
Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks for a very entertaining and enjoyable year. It was still an upgrade from the same old same old.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Couple questions:
Who comes back as overagers? I Personally think Pezzetta, salinitri, Calvas, Sproviero, and Eliot will return, I think Dineen, rymsha, ang and kyrou will be in the ahl. If those are the only guys who comes back who do you trade and what do you trade for? I can see some decent return in all. Also can and willvthe sting trade ruzicka before the season starts? Hopefully none of the other clubs seen his playoff performance! Lol

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Couple questions:
Who comes back as overagers? I Personally think Pezzetta, salinitri, Calvas, Sproviero, and Eliot will return, I think Dineen, rymsha, ang and kyrou will be in the ahl. If those are the only guys who comes back who do you trade and what do you trade for? I can see some decent return in all. Also can and willvthe sting trade ruzicka before the season starts? Hopefully none of the other clubs seen his playoff performance! Lol
I’m Guessing Eliot for sure; not drafted and needs to show what he can do thru a full season. That’s the one thing that OHL has over US college- number of games played. Kids need to learn to produce over the tough grind.
I’m guessing Sproviero will be back. The guy’s a mini beast. Heart & soul player that the Sting need.
If we get one of Salinitri or Pezzetta, would keep that guy. Prefer Sali, due to more scoring potential.
Calvas, I’m afraid, should be trade bait to recoup draft choices. I think Marko is a younger version of Theo, so that makes Theo expendable. D consisting of Eliot, Hatcher, Grima, Kammerer, Hogue, Marko looks pretty decent to me, assuming all progress rather than regress.
If Hughes improves his focus and his rebound control, we can be a decent team.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus

It was Smith’s turn. Against Guelph, Logan Stanley took his turn in the last game there, taking time to raise his hands and proudly proclaim “F$&k Guelph” to all the lip readers in the crowd who were out of earshot.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I think Calvas will be a very valuable defenceman next year, he was strong this year and even better in playoffs... I don’t think jako will be as good, not as tall and much slower

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I think Calvas will be a very valuable defenceman next year, he was strong this year and even better in playoffs... I don’t think jako will be as good, not as tall and much slower
I agree that Calvas can be very valuable, but you only get to keep 3 OA’s. Jako will be 18 next year and you can have as many of them as you please. I believe it will come down to Theo or Eliot, and I have to give that one to 22. Past that, we need forwards more than Dmen. If Sinclair can turn Calvas into a 2nd & a 3rd round pick, gotta take that.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I fully expect a rebuild season, get some young guys some valuable experience, load up on draft picks that we lost to the plugs we acquired this year. Unless some miracles happen this team will be a 7-8 seed next year and ANOTHER early playoff exit. Anyways, My last comment until some news happens. But hey, at least we didn't finish last..... progress!

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Would of been nice to get him, good thing we only used a 12th rounder, I’d looked more at the Chicago mission boys coming over, hopefully Perrault can convince his friend to come with him

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Fazio -> signed ATO with AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins
Dinnen -> Assigned to AHL's Tuscon Roadrunners
McGregor - > Assigned to AHL's Toronto Marlies
Kyrou -> Assigned to AHL's Chicago Wolves

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Couple questions:

As of right now our possible O/A's for next year will be Salinitri, Calvas, Sproviero, Rymsha, and Eliot. All others have signed contracts with their NHL clubs and have little chance being sent back to the OHL. Of those 5, Franco is a must. He will be the heart and soul of this team next year and he is a local boy. If he is traded, the team will lose even more fans. Also, Eliot is a must in my opinion. He has been one of our top D since joining the club and will be needed next season. As for the 3rd O/A, I think it comes down to position and trade value. Salinitri and Rymsha could bring a good return on a trade. Calvas, not so much.

Reactions: Texcanuck

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
As of right now our possible O/A's for next year will be Salinitri, Calvas, Sproviero, Rymsha, and Eliot. All others have signed contracts with their NHL clubs and have little chance being sent back to the OHL. Of those 5, Franco is a must. He will be the heart and soul of this team next year and he is a local boy. If he is traded, the team will lose even more fans. Also, Eliot is a must in my opinion. He has been one of our top D since joining the club and will be needed next season. As for the 3rd O/A, I think it comes down to position and trade value. Salinitri and Rymsha could bring a good return on a trade. Calvas, not so much.
But D is full if Eliot stays; Calvas gone for whatever we can get. If we have Spro, Eliot and one of Salinitri or Rymsha, we’ve got a pretty decent team next year (assuming serviceable play from Hughes, Langevin or whoever)

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
What does everyone think the roster will look like next year? Is there any insider info about the American prospects or possible trades that anyone has heard?

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Sting get their 1st overall pick signed! American kid coming over, and he was the point leader for his league.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Read that Perreault was offered a scholarship by a number of top end NCAA D1 schools and chose the sting instead. Also seen he was wanted by the USNTDP... decent size kid, has good skill and good hockey IQ and competes hard, hopefully his scouting report is true because that looks like a promising player! Maybe he can convince some of his friends to eventually come over at some point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad