Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I think there was a week or two back in the 2002-2003 season where the Sting were #1. Could be wrong though.

Way to go though Sarnia!!! Love watching those guy play this year.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Glad the Sting took a pro-active approach and talked with the strikers so that there will be no active picket lines past 3pm on Friday. Good stuff.

Let's give OPSEU a lot of credit here.It would have been a dangerous situation with traffic.They stated they wanted everyone to be safe.Thx OPSEU

Reactions: Ferda11

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Just a comment to the guy saying Sarnia doesn't support the team. The Sting have arguably been the biggest joke in the OHL the past 10-12 years. You gotta be dumb to pay $20+ for a ticket to watch a team get embarrassed night after night. Loyalty goes both ways; put a good team on the ice and the fans will come. You just can't expect the community to support a team that has done nothing but lose. The SSEC was packed the first few years when the Sting came to town; was packed when Koneckny was traded for and it will be packed now. I can almost guarantee a sell out this Friday vs the Soo. Sting need to win back the loyalty of the community and they are doing just that.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Since hatcher and legwand took over the team has not been an a joke, won a division title ion their 1st year here and yes squeaked into playoffs last year, but konecny, zacha, and chychrun could of all been back but they graduated to the nhl, they would have been near the top with them in the line up, and the owners have paid for new lighting (already installed), new led banner, and new led jumbo tron out of their own pockets, fans need to realize this is different owner ship that have won quite a few games the last 2 years and made improvements off the ice as well... fans should of been out by now , sting shouldn't have to go on a 12-1 streak every year to get fan support

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Since hatcher and legwand took over the team has not been an a joke, won a division title ion their 1st year here and yes squeaked into playoffs last year, but konecny, zacha, and chychrun could of all been back but they graduated to the nhl, they would have been near the top with them in the line up, and the owners have paid for new lighting (already installed), new led banner, and new led jumbo tron out of their own pockets, fans need to realize this is different owner ship that have won quite a few games the last 2 years and made improvements off the ice as well... fans should of been out by now , sting shouldn't have to go on a 12-1 streak every year to get fan support
I think they lost a lot of fans during the days they were drafting players with the purpose of being bad. AKA Policelli, Solomon and so on. Attendance has been up the past 2 years for just okay teams (attendance was great with Koneckny) Fans have been turned off by the sting for 10 years so yes, it takes something special to bring them back.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
I think they lost a lot of fans during the days they were drafting players with the purpose of being bad. AKA Policelli, Solomon and so on. Attendance has been up the past 2 years for just okay teams (attendance was great with Koneckny) Fans have been turned off by the sting for 10 years so yes, it takes something special to bring them back.
Should be one hell of a game on Friday #1 vs #6 in the country can't wait

Reactions: BoxerMax

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015

does anyone believe the GM's would draft to have 'bad' teams ? It was more of inconsistent scouting , poor coaching and just for good measure horrible luck ,being injuries and top players leaving earlier than expected. I have watched the team since day 1 and give Nick and his team lots of credit for the current squad of players.The constant rotation of head coaches and GM's is never a good thing trying to establish an identity

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
does anyone believe the GM's would draft to have 'bad' teams ? It was more of inconsistent scouting , poor coaching and just for good measure horrible luck ,being injuries and top players leaving earlier than expected. I have watched the team since day 1 and give Nick and his team lots of credit for the current squad of players.The constant rotation of head coaches and GM's is never a good thing trying to establish an identity

Only in the 2004 OHL draft. I have only heard this story from a could of people but it may not be true. I don't remember the name the the Sting GM for that draft. However, he was going to be the GM in Windsor for the 04/05 season. The Ciccarelli's knew this but still had him make the picks. So he did what any smart person would do, and draft players in spots that had no right in being drafted at that point in the draft. (Kody Musselman and Thomas Policelli)

Again, this is just a story I heard. But it does make that draft make a little more sense.

Reactions: OSA and davewheeler

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Only in the 2004 OHL draft. I have only heard this story from a could of people but it may not be true. I don't remember the name the the Sting GM for that draft. However, he was going to be the GM in Windsor for the 04/05 season. The Ciccarelli's knew this but still had him make the picks. So he did what any smart person would do, and draft players in spots that had no right in being drafted at that point in the draft. (Kody Musselman and Thomas Policelli)

Again, this is just a story I heard. But it does make that draft make a little more sense.

Alan Millar I believe. He also screwed over the sting his last year by not selling off top players during a year when we hardly squeaked into the playoffs then got swept easily in 4 games 1st round. Musselman ranks as the biggest bust in franchise history in my mind.

Luckily we have some very capable and knowledgeable owners, gm and scouts that have given this franchise a new identity that we've never seen before. Sarnia hockey is on the up rise.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Alan Millar I believe. He also screwed over the sting his last year by not selling off top players during a year when we hardly squeaked into the playoffs then got swept easily in 4 games 1st round. Musselman ranks as the biggest bust in franchise history in my mind.

Luckily we have some very capable and knowledgeable owners, gm and scouts that have given this franchise a new identity that we've never seen before. Sarnia hockey is on the up rise.

It was Terry Doran who I am referring too. Alan Millar was hired to replace him. Thank you for the Millar reference because that helped me find out who it actually was.

Reactions: Ferda11

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Just a comment to the guy saying Sarnia doesn't support the team. The Sting have arguably been the biggest joke in the OHL the past 10-12 years. You gotta be dumb to pay $20+ for a ticket to watch a team get embarrassed night after night. Loyalty goes both ways; put a good team on the ice and the fans will come. You just can't expect the community to support a team that has done nothing but lose. The SSEC was packed the first few years when the Sting came to town; was packed when Koneckny was traded for and it will be packed now. I can almost guarantee a sell out this Friday vs the Soo. Sting need to win back the loyalty of the community and they are doing just that.

I always said Sarnia will support the team if they ice a good product. The Ciccerielli era killed the support for this team. Too many changes and inconsistency within the Sting brass that resulted in some very poor managing, drafting and coaching. I don't blame the community for not supporting the team during that era, I had a hard time myself.

BUT that is the past. Current bosses have done nothing but great work in the last few years since taking over. A winning record, great managing and drafting and every part of this organization has been improved. Money is being spent to enhance the fan experience and the Sting's social media game has been top notch. There is no reason for people not to be filling the rink. I think that starts happening as of Friday. Tickets are limited as of right now. There is a lot of hype and buzz around the city, let's just hope the Sting pull off a win this Friday when the rink is full.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Yes, Doran and the 2004 draft is what I was talking about. Also I am curious to see what the announcement is. Haven't they already announced the new scoreboard?? Could it be a player ( or 2 ) signing??

road warrior

May 25, 2014

davewheeler said:
fans have been turned off by the sting for the last 10 years or so yes, it takes something special to bring the fans back

I really hope the fans start to support the Sting more. The new ownership have been a Huge improvement over the Ciccarelli's last 10 years of poor management. And the attendance for Friday's game vs SSM may help to start a trend (hopefully).
But I think the average guy on the street isn't going to recommit to really supporting the Sting until they can get past the 1-st round of the playoffs.

Reactions: davewheeler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad