Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Question is are the Sting that good or are most of the teams we've already played just average or just plain awful ? We've had teams in Sarnia that were better on paper but just couldn't win a thing when it really mattered.

Your right,on paper yes we have had better teams.I don't think we ever had 4 forward lines that were this deep.Go ahead and cover Kyrou line,Hinz and Adam will burn you along with Josling and Franko.Everyone is involved in the scoring. On paper this might be the worst d corp put on the ice.Again on paper but lets look at a 15 yr Krammerer stepping in playing like a top 4. Theo and Connor playing awesome.Fazio has been as good as any goalie Sarnia has had and we now have a backup Hughes that so far is playing awesome.BUT we can discuss this after playoffs next spring.lol

Lets sit back on enjoy the moment.Nobody can say that this is an exciting team to watch at this point of the season.Whether it is PK PP or 5 on 5,something creative is going to happen.

Last edited:

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Great coaching move in moving Rees up with Kyrou and Rymsha.Rees has impressed me with his hockey sense and playmaking.I think Hugo needs some space to do his stuff and that first line didn't allow him to do that

Reactions: Ferda11

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Hughes never played good back to back let alone 3 good games, and he never played this well, I always thought he had the skill and size, he is older and more relaxed playing on ohl now.. I think he will have a great year and hopefully it continues into next year and so he can be the new starter, not sure about getting rid of salinitri he could be useful next year, I think there's a good chance of him coming back as an overager, he was let go real early at flyers camp and he's a later round pick. Just a thought because the sting should be a real good team next year too

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I also have a feeling the sting are in talks with there American prospects, if I was Samuelson I would come over... tones of playing time for him on the back end and he's going to a contender , makes sense for him

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Hughes never played good back to back let alone 3 good games, and he never played this well, I always thought he had the skill and size, he is older and more relaxed playing on ohl now.. I think he will have a great year and hopefully it continues into next year and so he can be the new starter, not sure about getting rid of salinitri he could be useful next year, I think there's a good chance of him coming back as an overager, he was let go real early at flyers camp and he's a later round pick. Just a thought because the sting should be a real good team next year too

Consecutive games Hughes played last season.
SAR @ WSR2016-11-1864:124139201.870.9510010
SAR @ KGN2016-11-2565:004138302.770.9271000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GUE @ SAR2016-12-0760:004945404.000.9181000
SAR @ SSM2016-12-1824:241817102.460.9440000
SAR @ GUE2016-12-2862:494339403.820.9070010
SBY @ SAR2017-01-0760:002220202.000.9091000
HAM @ SAR2017-01-1160:002119202.000.9051000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SAR @ SSM2017-02-2427:522524102.150.9600100
SAR @ FLNT2017-02-2560:005350303.000.9431000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If not Salinitri, who do you think the Sting can trade this year to get a #1 or 2 D-man back?

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
I also have a feeling the sting are in talks with there American prospects, if I was Samuelson I would come over... tones of playing time for him on the back end and he's going to a contender , makes sense for him

I don't think we will see one of the american prospects coming over mid season this year. From what I understand, it is quite costly for a player to leave the USANTDP. But depending who drafts them in the NHL, we could see them next season.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I doubt it would be Salinitri. Depends what the team is looking.Most times in a trade,if you go after a Dman then your trade consist of a Dman in return. I would hate for Krammerer to be part of a deal.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The great Houdini couldnt have predicted this.No one seen this defensive group play as good as they are and have the rookies step in and the change in defensive style by our forwards.We all knew the offence had this potential and Fazio had what it takes but no one knew Hughes was going to step in with 3 wins.Sorry but I call BS on this one.
Whoa man. I'm talking after seeing them a few games, specifically the game they pulled out in Owen Sound. I'm not trying to pull a crystal ball pre season thing. Don't appreciate my assessment being called B.S.

Reactions: BoxerMax

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I agree that no one predicted this; or, even the sting top 2. I saw several 5-6 in the west in the forum and ‘expert’ ranks. To be fair, Lycanthrope only said, ‘the sting are a team to really watch’, whatever that meant.
But with 59 GF & 27 GA in 11 GP, there is now no doubt that the sting are for real.
Thank you Dirty, it seems you interpreted my post right.

Reactions: BoxerMax

massey

Sep 5, 2012
By the way, I called the Sting as a team to really watch early on before the hype, and judging by my recent track record I'm usually right. Might bode well for you guys.

So please explain your quote since your usually right

massey

Sep 5, 2012
1st off, Hughes. People need to remember that he had some stellar games last season. His problem in the past was his consistency and confidence. Winning and having fun on the ice always helps with confidence. I'm hoping he can keep up his great play. He is a great goalie when he is on his game. Better than Fazio.

What has surprised me so far this season? Their ability to keep the puck out of their net. As for the offence, this is no surprise. I figured we would be winning games 7-6 not 8-2 on a regular basis. I'm hoping they can keep it up all season.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the Sting trade a forward for a defenceman. I just hope it's not Rees. I'm thinking that forward could be Salinitri. Also, to previous trade comments, Hogue, Kammerer and Guy cannot be traded this season.

Boxer,I think there is a rule you cant trade your first rd pick till after 1 yr.If so Rees should be safe.Anybody else know for sure.thx

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
London brings American players over mid season all the time, and there was a rumour we almost had like kunin to come mid way a few years back.i believe Kitchener and Windsor have done it in the past too... I just think it would be worth it to get Samuelson over during the season instead of trading offence away which is our biggest strength. Especially a veteran like salinitri who will probably be back next season.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Odds of Samuelsson coming over are slim. I won't completely rule it out but like another poster said it would be quite costly. Lucky for us we have two owners who aren't afraid to spend money ($500,000 scoreboard for example). Next year is more probable depending on which NHL team drafts our American picks.

BoxerMax is correct, Rees would be the only one that can be trade from this years draft. Only 1st rd picks can be traded. (Chmelevski for example, played 29 games before traded to Ottawa his rookie year). There is no way Sarnia trades Rees...no way.

I don't think we need an all-star D man...we need our D to play D...Our forwards can produce and anything from the back end is a bonus. If we can get a big solid stay at home guy that can move the puck up the ice then perfect. A guy like Riley Bruce from NB would be a great fit.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Odds of Samuelsson coming over are slim. I won't completely rule it out but like another poster said it would be quite costly. Lucky for us we have two owners who
Odds of Samuelsson coming over are slim. I won't completely rule it out but like another poster said it would be quite costly. Lucky for us we have two owners who aren't afraid to spend money ($500,000 scoreboard for example). Next year is more probable depending on which NHL team drafts our American picks.

BoxerMax is correct, Rees would be the only one that can be trade from this years draft. Only 1st rd picks can be traded. (Chmelevski for example, played 29 games before traded to Ottawa his rookie year). There is no way Sarnia trades Rees...no way.

I don't think we need an all-star D man...we need our D to play D...Our forwards can produce and anything from the back end is a bonus. If we can get a big solid stay at home guy that can move the puck up the ice then perfect. A guy like Riley Bruce from NB would be a great fit.

aren't afraid to spend money ($500,000 scoreboard for example). Next year is more probable depending on which NHL team drafts our American picks.

I agree.dont need a superstar but a solid dman.if we can't upgrade to that,let's go with what we have

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Down 1-0 after 1. That had to be the worst period the Sting have played this year. Outplayed in every aspect of the game. Again, having a hard time moving the puck out of our end. Wolves all over us. Let's hope for a better 2nd or this could get ugly.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Much better 2nd. Sting up 3-2 after 2. Congrats Guy on his first two OHL goals!

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Nice victory.came back from being outplayed in the first.nice to see them comeback.And look at the scorers.Congrats to Guy with first 2 goals of his OHL.Brady and Kyrou on that goal was picture purfect.Rees goal was awesome also.Glad Sudbury made the Sting work tonight.Congrats Sting,Tommorrow nite against Barrie will be tough even though they lost one of their top scorers.10 in a row.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Samuelson is a big guy who defends his end well and get the puck out, probably better than any of our defence at both ends of the ice and he's a big guy... he's not a offensive guy like deangelo, he plays defence first ... only caught the 1st period sarnia looked terrible, see they came back which is good, but ya that defence won't cut it, especially when the tempo goes up in playoffs

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
10 in a row!!! Fazio and the PK came up big in this one...and so did the rookies! Guy (2) and Rees (1) stepped up and contributed when the big guns couldn't. Thought Sarnia played a pretty sloppy game all together. Passing wasn't clicking and the breakouts were pretty horrendous. Wolves played a pretty good game considering the score.

Either way its another 2 points! Barrie up next tomorrow night and will be a tough team to face going into your 3rd game in as many days and Barrie not having played this week yet. Barrie takes a huge hit with their best player and top scorer Svechnikov out 8 weeks with a broken hand I believe.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
About time the Sting gets a little respect.Gino Reda's junior hockey magazine touch on Kyrou but no mention of the Sting accomplishments.Did talk about London and the Soo. Go figuire

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
About time the Sting gets a little respect.Gino Reda's junior hockey magazine touch on Kyrou but no mention of the Sting accomplishments.Did talk about London and the Soo. Go figuire

Maybe the show was taped before the Sting hit the CHLs Top 10

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Maybe the show was taped before the Sting hit the CHLs Top 10

No it was after.They talked about London getting Formenton back and the Soo getting that Swede Dman that happened 3 days ago.Plus he was talking about the knights being 1-9

Last edited:

Sauceboss

Mar 26, 2016
Our offence Was predicted to be really good and it's better than predicted, fazio is no surprise in net, Hughes on the other hand has played 3 amazing games so far and I hope he keeps it up so fazio doesn't need to play as much, our defence is average maybe abit below average but there is worse d corps in the league, could use a solid defenceman or two to help...we have beat Barrie, Owen sound, and Kingston who were all predicted to be top of their divisions, and our only loss was to a good Kitchener team and it was a close 1 goal game I think, and we have played a lot of other teams in the league, I think the sting are for real but need a tad bit of help on defence if they want to go deep into playoffs. I really hope the fans start coming out, the weather is getting colder it's hockey season now,the sting are proven winners so far let's go sarnia..
I think the band wagon fans will start coming if they keep winning. I hope anyway. Most of the team are great guys! I have been a season ticket holder four years now, we never miss a game. The arena is only about a third full, I wish Sarnia would support them. Hatcher has done a great job they just need to do something about the kids running around and standing in front of the glass the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino