Rumor: San Jose trying to trade Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Guys stay for a reason, and I ever said they try to lure in big time free agents. You’re trying to bend the argument to fit your Debbie Downer narrative on everything Sharks.
I don't really look at it as a debbie downer argument. I'm sure it's a nice place to play, but SJ isn't the mecca some make it out to be for players and the proof is that there are just as many players who aren't interested in coming here as there are players who would. What does SJ honestly have to offer? Boyle didn't really wanna come here, Belfour, Guerin, Tavares for ridiculous money etc. Maybe we weren't always looking for the marquee names but considering the consistent success and how close the team always seemed to be, it never seemed to be the place players necessarily had at the top of their list. Rob Blake was the only marquee FA I can think of, but he was 38, butthurt the Kings didn't contact him and took 5 million dollars for a year. This is where I give DW credit. His trades have been shrewd and he'd done well in consistently constructing a contender without the benefit of luring FAs.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't really look at it as a debbie downer argument. I'm sure it's a nice place to play, but SJ isn't the mecca some make it out to be for players and the proof is that there are just as many players who aren't interested in coming here as there are players who would. What does SJ honestly have to offer? Boyle didn't really wanna come here, Belfour, Guerin, Tavares for ridiculous money etc. Maybe we weren't always looking for the marquee names but considering the consistent success and how close the team always seemed to be, it never seemed to be the place players necessarily had at the top of their list. Rob Blake was the only marquee FA I can think of, but he was 38, butthurt the Kings didn't contact him and took 5 million dollars for a year. This is where I give DW credit. His trades have been shrewd and he'd done well in consistently constructing a contender without the benefit of luring FAs.
I think Boyle wanted to stay where he just signed a long term deal and was hurt more than not wanting to come to San Jose.

San Jose isn’t a big time destination, but the guys who do spend time there seem to like and recommend it. The dollars may be different if the taxes weren’t so high on income.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think Boyle wanted to stay where he just signed a long term deal and was hurt more than not wanting to come to San Jose.

San Jose isn’t a big time destination, but the guys who do spend time there seem to like and recommend it. The dollars may be different if the taxes weren’t so high on income.
Maybe, but he didn't want to waive, and he only did when he realized they were going to put him on waivers and he'd have ended up going to Atlanta. So yes, he liked us more than the Thrashers.

Again, I don't discount SJ as a nice place to be and to play, but the original argument was that we were a place most wanted to go.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Maybe, but he didn't want to waive, and he only did when he realized they were going to put him on waivers and he'd have ended up going to Atlanta. So yes, he liked us more than the Thrashers.

Again, I don't discount SJ as a nice place to be and to play, but the original argument was that we were a place most wanted to go.
I believe they only offered Boyle a 1 yr deal after the 6 year ran out. If they match Ny’s offer he likely re-signs (glad DW didn’t)

I wouldn’t agree with that argument, then. They’re a specific fit more than a ‘Lakers’ type place everyone wants to cling onto.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I wouldn’t agree with that argument, then. They’re a specific fit more than a ‘Lakers’ type place everyone wants to cling onto.
MAybe. Who knows? But your original argument about how we've never had a problem resigning our own players doesn't really hold a ton of water when you're consistently contenders. Most teams in the last twenty years have gone through the ups and downs where there was a window of trading and/or just letting vets go via FA because they weren't contending. Being consistently near the top of the standings is an easier justification to always keep the premiere pieces we had. Again, Thunder is the only real outlier but I think that speaks as much about the type of person he is as it does the allure of the organization.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Honestly, who have we been able to lure into FA and how many top tier FA ended up staying without being overpaid? Thornton? I can’t really think of too many others. Kane wasn’t in a position of choice, EK took the money, everyone else we locked up was in house. Playing in SJ isn’t the dream some make it out to be.
Owen Nolan, Rob Blake, Nils Nisse Ekman, McLaren, Heatley, Dan, Granato, Tony (great tan by the way), Doug Wilson (another greatly tanned one), Milan Michalek, Gary Suter, Jeremy Roenick, Dan Boyle, Mike Ricci, Vincent Damphousse, and like you said: Joey Thornton. For example, there are others as well milord.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Because the league didn't terminate Richards, Voynov, Bertuzzi... it isn't going to set a precedent where teams in the future expect a bailout from the league in sticky situations. Further, if the league cancels it and Kane fights it, the league is then on the hook for all the associated legal fees and negative PR. Why would Bettman open that door when he can do what he has done in the past and let the teams deal with their contracts?

Betting on games is the big No No, and the CBA/Bylaws very clearly define the NHL can suspend without pay or terminate a contract for that conduct.

Richards, Voynov and Bertuzzi didn’t involve the Gambling aspect of the rules, so not comparable situations.

If Kane is found not to have bet on NHL games, then I agree the NHL will do nothing to suspend or terminate his contract.

If Kane did gamble on games then expect the NHL response to be very severe.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Owen Nolan, Rob Blake, Nils Nisse Ekman, McLaren, Heatley, Dan, Granato, Tony (great tan by the way), Doug Wilson (another greatly tanned one), Milan Michalek, Gary Suter, Jeremy Roenick, Dan Boyle, Mike Ricci, Vincent Damphousse, and like you said: Joey Thornton. For example, there are others as well milord.
So you named a bunch of guys that got traded to us and a bunch of old guys in their twilight (oh and a guy we drafted)?? This is your top tier list? Not really a good argument on your part.

Reactions: thrillermiller89

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Because the league didn't terminate Richards, Voynov, Bertuzzi... it isn't going to set a precedent where teams in the future expect a bailout from the league in sticky situations. Further, if the league cancels it and Kane fights it, the league is then on the hook for all the associated legal fees and negative PR. Why would Bettman open that door when he can do what he has done in the past and let the teams deal with their contracts?
You think the league will look bad for terminating the Inter-gender Bar Fighting Champion of the world?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
So you named a bunch of guys that got traded to us and a bunch of old guys in their twilight (oh and a guy we drafted)?? This is your top tier list? Not really a good argument on your part.
I thought that there might have been one guy y'all drafted y'allselves, but other than that my list is that real one milord. :clap: San jose is that fine

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’ve just never understood how all of humanity is in bad/juvenile taste if they are to do something like hold a stack of bills to their ear and call it “money phone”, but if said human has some sort of celebrity status, it’s really cool and they’re just “building their brand”. It reminds me of middle school where there were those few randomly popular kids who could say and do the dumbest things no one else could but be protected from any sort of backlash by their all powerful cliques/groupies.

Evander Kane clearly has some very personal issues. And he also has hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of enablers who pledge blind loyalty to a wealthy high profile person who apparently has their expectation to be a decent human being voided.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This is just pain.

He is a really, really good player. And it is just pain.

And I am not even a Sharks-fan.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Still trying to trade him I assume.
I wonder what happens in 3 weeks when training camp starts and he is still a Shark?
Does the team tell Kane to stay home?
Send him down to the minors and hope someone picks him off waivers? Then let him wallow in the minors until he quits? IDK. This is rough. It's a weird situation to be in where teammates go to the management and request to not play with a guy. It's gotta be really bad for NHLers to get to that point.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Look at Kane. Does he look like someone who couldn't defend himself against physical abuse from a diminutive woman like Anna Kane? Add to that that Kane's not exactly known as this gentle, meek giant who eschews physical violence.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Look at Kane. Does he look like someone who couldn't defend himself against physical abuse from a diminutive woman like Anna Kane? Add to that that Kane's not exactly known as this gentle, meek giant who eschews physical violence.
The problem is if a man defends himself against a woman the cops get called and he does time.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I don't necessarily agree but I appreciate the wording. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad