Value of: Sam Bennett

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Most of Bennett's comparables have actually gone for less than that when traded, tbh. So I think that you're wrong.
I do agree that that isn't a palatable trade for Bennett. I think this is why we need to trade Bennett for another player of comparable potential who is likewise struggling.
Most of Bennett's comparables weren't given up on this early. I don't think we should trade him, but I can see what you are saying.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Most of Bennett's comparables weren't given up on this early. I don't think we should trade him, but I can see what you are saying.

It's an interesting thing regarding his age.

He could've easily spent a year in Junior and a year in the AHL, and had his rookie season last year. Had those things happened, how different might the outlook on him be?

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

He could've easily spent a year in Junior and a year in the AHL, and had his rookie season last year. Had those things happened, how different might the outlook on him be?
Very different imo. But people don't seem to care, they just list examples of busts and say this is basically Bennett, when in reality it isn't. It's a joke that people want to trade him for nothing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Please tell me where I said he's a product of Crosby, all I said is he certainly helped. And no, I obviously have no idea what I am talking about but you can say a 21 year old is a bust and he's worth a mid pick and a meh prospect, but sureeeee I am the one that doesnt know what he's talking about.

A 21yr former 1st round pick was literally just traded to your team (+ Kostka aka throw in) last year for a 2nd and Jokipakka (throw in).

Reactions: Flameshomer

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I think he'd be a better player for it. Having to struggle at the NHL level for 2.5yrs and then being sent down is going to have an adverse effect at this point.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Very different imo. But people don't seem to care, they just list examples of busts and say this is basically Bennett, when in reality it isn't. It's a joke that people want to trade him for nothing.

I agree that he would be seen differently, but a top 5 pick going back to the ohl and then also having a a mediocre AHL Season (reversing the NHLE formula for Bennett's last season, not a perfect science, gives him 56 points in the AHL) and people would still be floating the idea he's a bust. I think Dylan Strome is somewhat comparable in this regard, although he now appears to be doing quite well down in the A.

Obviously this isn't exact, and the confidence built by Bennett dominating the OHL for a season probably would have left him much better off in the long run, but the numbers he has put up over two full seasons in the league are very concerning for his future potential, in spite of his flashes of skill.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
In what world is a 2nd a mid round pick? And yeah I know that, but Lazar doesn't have as much upside as Bennett and Ottawa wanted to trade him, while Calgary is in no rush to trade Bennett.
Upside, sure, but Lazar has seemingly outplayed Bennett in all but one game this season. (and Lazar hasn't played in half of them)

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I agree that he would be seen differently, but a top 5 pick going back to the ohl and then also having a a mediocre AHL Season (reversing the NHLE formula for Bennett's last season, not a perfect science, gives him 56 points in the AHL) and people would still be floating the idea he's a bust. I think Dylan Strome is somewhat comparable in this regard, although he now appears to be doing quite well down in the A.

Obviously this isn't exact, and the confidence built by Bennett dominating the OHL for a season probably would have left him much better off in the long run, but the numbers he has put up over two full seasons in the league are very concerning for his future potential, in spite of his flashes of skill.
Well people can think whatever they like, it doesn't make it true. And you can't know how Bennett would have done being sent back down. Yes, I agree the numbers are concerning, but I do not think the solution is to trade him for next to nothing.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Upside, sure, but Lazar has seemingly outplayed Bennett in all but one game this season. (and Lazar hasn't played in half of them)
Well, if Lazar hasn't played in half of them then it'd be easier to out play Bennett than playing in all the games. And that's great, but I still don't think Lazar holds the same value, at least not to lots of people. And Ottawa wanting to trade Lazar was a big factor, correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Calgary is trying to get rid of Bennett.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

To be blunt, Lazar has looked nothing more than a high energy ~middle 3 guy at best, probably less so with the Sens..I'm really not sure why Flame fans have been so overwhemingly high on him.

Agreed that Bennett has shown some semblance of skill, upside at times though, just hasn't produced.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
This type of logic assumes he's going to rebound as a player/prospect rather than continuing to under perform. It was the argument a lot of Oiler fans used against trading Yakupov for years. Kept banking on him eventually figuring it out. That ultimately ended with them trading him for a 3rd rounder.

Young players value doesn't always go up...

The bolded should be stickied on the trade board.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Always have thought he would be a good fit on the Ducks.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
To be blunt, Lazar has looked nothing more than a high energy ~middle 3 guy at best, probably less so with the Sens..I'm really not sure why Flame fans have been so overwhemingly high on him..
That's really all any of us expected. If he winds up being a 3rd liner, that'd be a win.

Cherry Picker

Sep 29, 2011
I'd love Bennett in Toronto.

To CAL: Bozak + Kapanen

To TOR: Bennett + 3rd/prospect

Quite honestly though the Flames shouldn't deal him. Look no further than the Leafs' Nazem Kadri who took a little longer to mature and gain confidence in his game.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

Quite honestly though the Flames shouldn't deal him. Look no further than the Leafs' Nazem Kadri who took a little longer to mature and gain confidence in his game.

I'd do that as a Leafs fan. Kadri was given every chance to succeed in Toronto though. Bennett is playing bottom six in Calgary, that's not really good for him.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

Calgary passes, we don't need Bozak, and I'd rather keep Bennett then Kapanen. That trade does nothing for the Flames.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown

There is no player that Calgary hf fans want from TO besides Matthews. They already said no to Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Kadri, etc. We've been down this road before. They seem to think Bennett will somehow turn into a Gilmore/Roberts hybrid.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
probably a late 1st....but the flames are better off seeing if he turns it around.
flames would be scary good had they taken nylander/ehlers

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
To be blunt, Lazar has looked nothing more than a high energy ~middle 3 guy at best, probably less so with the Sens..I'm really not sure why Flame fans have been so overwhemingly high on him.

Agreed that Bennett has shown some semblance of skill, upside at times though, just hasn't produced.

To be even more blunt, I am not a Lazar fan but at least he can be a high energy bottom six filler. Bennett while not scoring is basically useless as he is too stupid to play a checker role effectively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad