Value of: Sam Bennett

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Bennett has not made a very good center so far, but he could still definitely become one. We're talking about a 21 year old here.

However, Bennett has proven again and again that he is very valuable on the wing where he can just focus on offense. He's a completely different player when he's playing on the wing. Super dangerous.

He's got lots of time to become a great NHL center but I would have no problem shifting him to the wing for the next year or two because he instantly turns into a threat when he doesn't have to be every where at once.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh yeah, none of those guys are busts. I agree with you on that. And you're trying to make me sound stupid, but you can call Bennett a bust, while none of those guys are busts? Right, because they aren't, and neither is Bennett.
But you're wrong. He is a bust. He's a top 6 pick that can't even produce better than a 4th liner.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Wait, so because the team doesn't want to rush him, that's HIS problem? Lol, you're grasping at so many straws here to some how legitimatize Bennett as some solid NHL player (barely) that can produce (can't) and want to write off a kid that has all of 9 games of NHL experience.

Haydn Fleury just made his NHL debut this season, omg...bust right? Same for Sanheim right? psh..7 games? So the Coyotes should play Strome in the NHL in the bottom 6 to learn what? Play 2-way hockey? Imagine if you will, a league that is a developmental league, let's call it the AHL, where he can not only play in the top 6, 1st unit powerplay, 1st unit PK...but he'd be able to tinker and hone his game at that level in those situations he would never be put in at the NHL level unless he was NHL ready, which he isn't, yet.

Here's the funny thing about age. He's 21, like Fleury, Sanheim and Strome.

The difference? Neither were rushed to the NHL and had their development stunted, instead they are being eased into the NHL, why? Because they're freaking 21. Not all 18yr old players are NHL ready, just like Sam Bennett wasn't, but the Flames were desperate to play him to make some splash to their fans and their inter province rivals. A horrendous move.

I think what truly upsets me about rushing Bennett is the fact that the two positions Bennett plays were the deepest (Prior to this season it's now RHD) that the Flames had, so really there wasn't an excuse to rush him. If he fit a positional need and was rushed that's more understandable (Like how Oilers rushed RNH).

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think what truly upsets me about rushing Bennett is the fact that the two positions Bennett plays were the deepest (Prior to this season it's now RHD) that the Flames had, so really there wasn't an excuse to rush him. If he fit a positional need and was rushed that's more understandable (Like how Oilers rushed RNH).
Wtf is this? he put up 52 points in 62 games in his rookie season, he certainly wasn't rushed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If they can still send him down I would. Before its truly too late.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Lowry for Bennett, you get the better player today, but when we fired Maurice we should be able to develop him into a solid third line center.. (I wounder how Jets fans thinks about this)

This is based on pure value today, bet with his pedigree he should be worth more "cough cough Reinhart"

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The only lines on our team that can do anything are the top two. No one on the bottom half of the roster has looked good all season and when Backlund Gaudreau (and Monahan to an extent) aren't carrying the puck we can't gain or exit a zone. So is everyone in the bottom six bad?

There is also the issue that if you're in the bottom six and one of your seldom shifts happens at the same time as Stonekowski (an absolute train wreck that spends the entire game in their zone and can turn offensive zone possession into scoring chances against in the blink of an eye). But right now it looks really bad for Bennett I agree that he was rushed though which mainly comes back to the Flames inability to develop players. Hell most of the younger guys we actually do manage to turn into something become much better players elsewhere after we give up on them see Baertschi, Byron, Granlund and Jooris. So I think if nothing changes here soon whichever team inevitably gets Bennett will get more than they payed for.

Also to add in his rookie season he was really dynamic and looked to be on the verge of breaking out he was just inconsistent. Under GG every like 10-15 games he has a good game and then goes back to the new norm which is him and his line being ineffective.

Last edited:

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Look at the Flames, their roster isn't forgiving to Bennett. Bennett is playing LW.

I wouldn't give up on him. He needs top 6 use.

The only spot for him in the top 6 is at RW and he’s a left-handed shot. Monahan, Backlund, Gaudreau and Tkachuk are all better than Bennett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad