Value of: Sam Bennett

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not ever?

They seem to be hopeful with Lazar too, so it just tells me it's not in reality, their outlook for either player. Bennett has regressed and it's alarming, you either cut bait now or risk the prospect of him just being stunted so badly that they lose him as nothing or as a throw in, in some random trade.

Whereas right now, he might have decent enough value to land a 2nd and some C level throw in prospect that might be a decent 4th liner maybe.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why does it seem like the Flames aren't doing much to actually put Bennett in a position to succeed? The guy's struggling, but the Flames don't seem to be trying to play him with guys who'll help get him out of his funk.

Considering where they drafted him, they don't seem overly invested in making sure he has every opportunity to show his offensive upside.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Him and Jankowski have looked good. Not even close to the situation last year where Brouwer was actively sabotaging him. Versteeg has been pretty useless 5 on 5 but he's not terrible. When Jagr comes back, I am very happy with Bennett - Jankowski - Ferland as our third line. Lazar is fine but he just has no finish either.

Bennett could easily have 4-5 points this year. I just think he's cursed haha. How can someone have that many chances in the crease and not score. Or last game how he make's an unbelievable play and Lazar hits the post. Brouwer misses a tip in. He's wide open in front of the net and the defender sprawls out and deflects the pass miraculously. If Monahan got all of Bennet's score chances this year he'd have 6 points from them.

Textbook case of the yips. Best thing flames can do is do nothing. The luck will swing around

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Been wanting a different ingredient at 3C then Bozak as a Leaf's fan, not sure on the fit though or what the ask would be.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Somehow Sam Bennet has been a worse pick than Jake Virtanen.
I wouldn't even want to trade a 2nd rounder for him at this point.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Been wanting a different ingredient at 3C then Bozak as a Leaf's fan, not sure on the fit though or what the ask would be.
According to other Leafs fans, he'd be lucky to make the Marlies.
They seem to be hopeful with Lazar too, so it just tells me it's not in reality, their outlook for either player. Bennett has regressed and it's alarming, you either cut bait now or risk the prospect of him just being stunted so badly that they lose him as nothing or as a throw in, in some random trade.

Whereas right now, he might have decent enough value to land a 2nd and some C level throw in prospect that might be a decent 4th liner maybe.
I'd much rather risk him not panning out than trading him for next to nothing, considering there's a possibility he turns it around nicely. And nobody has the same hopes for Lazar as they do for Bennett. How can you say it's not in reality on the outlook for him and that he has regressed badly? Try watching him play.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I'd much rather risk him not panning out than trading him for next to nothing, considering there's a possibility he turns it around nicely. And nobody has the same hopes for Lazar as they do for Bennett. How can you say it's not in reality on the outlook for him and that he has regressed badly? Try watching him play.

It's not inaccurate, Bennett this year hasn't been good. 3rd lowest game score in the entire NHL. He's been bad. Leafs would be betting more on potential then any actual result to date.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think Lazar has looked better than Bennett, outside of the Nashville game where Bennett looked great. Reverted to a lump of coal last night. Lazar, though currently cursed with hands of lead, is constantly in a successful position on the ice, has wheels, knows how to forecheck (and actually does...) and can lay a mean hit (had a great one last night that lead to some continued pressure for their line)

I was pretty choked that Glenn sat him in favor of playing versteeg and stajan more. No idea at all what he sees in either of those guys, they have just been terrible all year.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Because they only look at stats and not watch him at all. Totally worth a 2nd imo.

For sure. In 6 games he's already put himself above Stajan, Versteeg, Glass, and Hamilton. I didn't realize how fast he was last year. He's arguably outplayed Brouwer and Ferland as well.

Reactions: Flamesfan62

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
It's not inaccurate, Bennett this year hasn't been good. 3rd lowest game score in the entire NHL. He's been bad. Leafs would be betting more on potential then any actual result to date.
He had an awful start yeah, but in the last few games he has looked good. Just needs to start putting up points, which I think will happen. I expected much more by now, but his potential alone is worth more than what we'd be getting for him in a trade.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

3yrs in, there are better players on the team and he's dropping down the depth chart. It's funny, your Provincial counterparts used to say the same about Paajarvi and Yakupov. Both have been successfully destroyed.

I remember at some point I think some Flames fans wanted Guentzel from us for him. Jeez.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
3yrs in, there are better players on the team and he's dropping down the depth chart. It's funny, your Provincial counterparts used to say the same about Paajarvi and Yakupov. Both have been successfully destroyed.

I remember at some point I think some Flames fans wanted Guentzel from us for him. Jeez.
Yeah, you don't say there are better players on the team. There's also better than Guentzel on Pittsburgh, does that mean he is bad? And no, he isn't dropping down the depth chart. If anything he's just staying where he has been for awhile, which hopefully changes soon. And just because they busted, doesn't mean Bennett will. Ha okay, give Bennett Crosby and I am sure he'll be fine.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, you don't say there are better players on the team. There's also better than Guentzel on Pittsburgh, does that mean he is bad? And no, he isn't dropping down the depth chart. If anything he's just staying where he has been for awhile, which hopefully changes soon. And just because they busted, doesn't mean Bennett will. Ha okay, give Bennett Crosby and I am sure he'll be fine.

If it takes a generational talent to make a player like Bennett serviceable, that's not exactly a good player. Guentzel has performed well away from Crosby and is a talented player in his own right, has produced incredibly well in all levels of hockey he's played. But sure, let's pretend he's riding Crosby's coattails because you don't know what you are talking about. Sam Bennett is more of a bust than he is a decent prospect, he's not even a prospect anymore. So that leaves...

His value is a mid round pick and a throw in prospect - Realistically.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He had an awful start yeah, but in the last few games he has looked good. Just needs to start putting up points, which I think will happen. I expected much more by now, but his potential alone is worth more than what we'd be getting for him in a trade.

If this was his first year in the NHL, the potential thing might hold more water, but he's in his 3rd full season, it's tough to play the "his potential alone is worth more" when really, you've got a better than glimpse of what he's capable of. We used to think the same with Derrick Pouliot, but hey, that project was finally dumped off, he's still terrible. In Bennett's case, he's likely in need of a change of scenery, well more like he is and not likely.

We've all had prospects or players we're enamored with, there are still Pens fans that whine about the potential of drafting Forsberg instead of Pouliot or the Despres trade. Meh...

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Not sure how this morphed into a guentzel thread, but he certainly has proven far more than bennett in his short time in the league (and yes away from Crosby too).

Bennett's "potential" is really being oversold here- he does show flashes of brilliant skill, but we've seen two whole seasons of him being unable to produce. Honestly, his play has seemingly declined rather than improved over this time frame, with the last 10 games being pretty bad outside of the Nashville one. I think it's confidence, and I don't think that he will be able to regain it with this team.
I think a struggling young guy for ours is the best option- I think Galchenyuk is a decent target, if we offer to sweeten the pot just a bit. Duchene I think would cost too much extra, and I'm not interested in futures for him. In dream land we could package something with him and acquire something like Toffoli or Slifverberg, but I think that opportunity has passed.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
If it takes a generational talent to make a player like Bennett serviceable, that's not exactly a good player. Guentzel has performed well away from Crosby and is a talented player in his own right, has produced incredibly well in all levels of hockey he's played. But sure, let's pretend he's riding Crosby's coattails because you don't know what you are talking about. Sam Bennett is more of a bust than he is a decent prospect, he's not even a prospect anymore. So that leaves...

His value is a mid round pick and a throw in prospect - Realistically.
Please tell me where I said he's a product of Crosby, all I said is he certainly helped. And no, I obviously have no idea what I am talking about but you can say a 21 year old is a bust and he's worth a mid pick and a meh prospect, but sureeeee I am the one that doesnt know what he's talking about.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Not sure how this morphed into a guentzel thread, but he certainly has proven far more than bennett in his short time in the league (and yes away from Crosby too).

Bennett's "potential" is really being oversold here- he does show flashes of brilliant skill, but we've seen two whole seasons of him being unable to produce. Honestly, his play has seemingly declined rather than improved over this time frame, with the last 10 games being pretty bad outside of the Nashville one. I think it's confidence, and I don't think that he will be able to regain it with this team.
I think a struggling young guy for ours is the best option- I think Galchenyuk is a decent target, if we offer to sweeten the pot just a bit. Duchene I think would cost too much extra, and I'm not interested in futures for him. In dream land we could package something with him and acquire something like Toffoli or Slifverberg, but I think that opportunity has passed.
Nobody said he hadn't.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Please tell me where I said he's a product of Crosby, all I said is he certainly helped. And no, I obviously have no idea what I am talking about but you can say a 21 year old is a bust and he's worth a mid pick and a meh prospect, but sureeeee I am the one that doesnt know what he's talking about.
Most of Bennett's comparables have actually gone for less than that when traded, tbh. So I think that you're wrong.
I do agree that that isn't a palatable trade for Bennett. I think this is why we need to trade Bennett for another player of comparable potential who is likewise struggling.

Reactions: FameFlame069

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
If this was his first year in the NHL, the potential thing might hold more water, but he's in his 3rd full season, it's tough to play the "his potential alone is worth more" when really, you've got a better than glimpse of what he's capable of. We used to think the same with Derrick Pouliot, but hey, that project was finally dumped off, he's still terrible. In Bennett's case, he's likely in need of a change of scenery, well more like he is and not likely.

We've all had prospects or players we're enamored with, there are still Pens fans that whine about the potential of drafting Forsberg instead of Pouliot or the Despres trade. Meh...
All I am saying is Bennett has the potential to turn it around, and I would rather hang on than trade him for pennies. And I don't think we have seen what he is capable of.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
This thread was the perfect opportunity for anyone to come in and bash Bennett. People are taking advantage. Kinda funny, actually

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad