Value of: Sam Bennett

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
As some said, use the Lazar trade as a basis.

He might get a late 1st + middling prospect from a team willing to risk a pick for a possible home-run. Maybe a re-building team gets a late 1st for a veteran and then trades the first for a guy like Bennett who is farther along developmentally and still carries a lot of upside.

Calgary gets a 1st to replace their missing pick and can either trade it for a vet or find a good young player with some upside in a deep draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sam Bennett for Dylan Strome?
Don't see why that makes sense for the Coyotes. For a couple reasons. Firstly, Strome probably has a better chance of ending up a center at the NHL level. Secondly, Coyotes have 3 more seasons to figure out what Strome is before exposing him to waivers, Bennett has to be played on the NHL roster. I don't think Bennett's proven ability to be an NHLer, while maybe having the same upside as Strome, is worth 3 years of control and the fact if Bennett doesn't fit there is no rehabilitating him in the AHL.

Feb 24, 2017
I would have said a Bennett and Virtanen swap would be fair just two weeks ago. But now? Haaaaaaayyyylllls to the nizzo.

At least you Flames honks will always have that two week period where he was 18.

Reactions: Red

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
To be even more blunt, I am not a Lazar fan but at least he can be a high energy bottom six filler. Bennett while not scoring is basically useless as he is too stupid to play a checker role effectively

Eh, I'm a fan of Bennett, not relative to his draft status or pedigree but because I think he'd be a very good fit if he doesn't have to drive a line on his own and just competes in the dirty areas and finish when he has to. Nonetheless, still a very valuable young piece with years of control. Would be a great fit next to Marner IMO, skill-sets can be pretty complimentary, at least until Marner fills out....as Marner can fill the role as a line driver.

If he's going to be relied upon to drive a line then he won't have incredible success right now, he suffers a bit from tunnel vision and doesn't have the high-end skill to generate points in bunches on his own.

Again, I'd easily give up any prospect in our system (besides Liljegren) + for Bennett, which is more than what I would do for other players constantly discussed on here involving the Leafs.

Would also put Bozak/JVR on the table as well if they are of interest. That said, in practical terms there's almost zero chance the Flames give up on their investment.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I would have said a Bennett and Virtanen swap would be fair just two weeks ago. But now? Haaaaaaayyyylllls to the nizzo.

At least you Flames honks will always have that two week period where he was 18.

Virtanen is picking it up a bit, but at this point Bennett is still a better player and a lot more valuable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sam Bennett for Dylan Strome?

Why would Arizona do this? Strome is in the AHL developing, he's not having his development stunted like Bennett. Strome will be better for it. Remember when Kyle Turris was supposedly a bust because he was in the AHL and not in the NHL? That full year of the AHL was HUGE for Turris. Strome will be better for it. If anything, Bennett should be in the AHL playing top 6 minutes, playing in a scoring role and rounding out that part of his game, instead he plays like a bottom 6er in the NHL because that's where his development stunted.

Reactions: Juxtaposer and Red

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why would Arizona do this? Strome is in the AHL developing, he's not having his development stunted like Bennett. Strome will be better for it. Remember when Kyle Turris was supposedly a bust because he was in the AHL and not in the NHL? That full year of the AHL was HUGE for Turris. Strome will be better for it. If anything, Bennett should be in the AHL playing top 6 minutes, playing in a scoring role and rounding out that part of his game, instead he plays like a bottom 6er in the NHL because that's where his development stunted.

For all of Bennett issues, he is probably still better than Strome. Not all guys in the AHL are developing. Doing well in the minor does not guaranty success in the NHL. It's a different game.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If he's going to be relied upon to drive a line then he won't have incredible success right now, he suffers a bit from tunnel vision and doesn't have the high-end skill to generate points in bunches on his own.

Yes, it's stupid of Flames trying to make a center out of him. He cant generate offense for himself or his linemates, especially on the bottom lines.
And as I said he is just a dumb player not fit for checking role.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So much painful misinformation being spewed in here. Thankfully, facts are facts and Treliving won’t be giving Bennett away for less than he’s worth. Bennett is also a pretty darn good hockey player. But I’d be lying if I said his production or lack there of isn’t frustrating.

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
Curious, what do you guys think his value is right now, Sam Bennett's. He's 3yrs removed from his draft, his career high is 36pts and he's pointless in 10 games so far. He's also regressed horrendously offensively.

It has to be tough, the Flames literally could have had Draisaitl, Larkin, Nylander, etc.

they literally could not of had Draisaitl. You're also making huge assumptions about Bennett based on point totals, which apparently paints the whole picture.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Although Bennett has zero points so far, he's only -3, which means he's only been on the ice for 3 out of 30 goals that Calgary has allowed. For a team that lacks defense like the Leafs, that is a plus, no?

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
How do you guys feel about a deal centered around Kevin Hayes and reunite him with Johnny Hockey, Wouldn't happen until offseason though, need to find a 2c and I think Lias Andersson can slot into 3c

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For all of Bennett issues, he is probably still better than Strome. Not all guys in the AHL are developing. Doing well in the minor does not guaranty success in the NHL. It's a different game.

Right, so he's better than a guy that has played not even a dozen games at the NHL level that was also drafted high because of what, your bias? Strome at this point is still a prospect. Bennett isn't, in Bennett's case, you have a clearer picture of "what you see is what you get" but with Strome, there's no telling what he will do at the NHL level while he hones his game.

You know what he isn't doing? Being wasted in a role in the NHL when he could be getting valuable minutes in the AHL to round out his skills.

"Development."

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
they literally could not of had Draisaitl. You're also making huge assumptions about Bennett based on point totals, which apparently paints the whole picture.

No, I base it on watching some games. Like most people should.

The Flames could have traded up to get Draisaitl, but yeah, maybe a bad example for that 1 player, but Nylander and Ehlers, maybe.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Although Bennett has zero points so far, he's only -3, which means he's only been on the ice for 3 out of 30 goals that Calgary has allowed. For a team that lacks defense like the Leafs, that is a plus, no?

He's had some decent games. Other games he's been invisible. His defence hasn't been awful, but he still has a penchant for taking stupid penalties which hurt the team. Overall he's been a disappointment, but it's hard to get a great read on him when his most frequent linemates have been Versteeg and Brouwer.

The Flames are best off to just keep him and hope for the best. They won't get good value for him now.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Right, so he's better than a guy that has played not even a dozen games at the NHL level that was also drafted high because of what, your bias? Strome at this point is still a prospect. Bennett isn't, in Bennett's case, you have a clearer picture of "what you see is what you get" but with Strome, there's no telling what he will do at the NHL level while he hones his game.

You know what he isn't doing? Being wasted in a role in the NHL when he could be getting valuable minutes in the AHL to round out his skills.

"Development."
Right, so Strome is months younger and can't even make the roster of an 0-10 team, but he's still considered a prospect because he can't make the team? Your logic is perfect.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Right, so Strome is months younger and can't even make the roster of an 0-10 team, but he's still considered a prospect because he can't make the team? Your logic is perfect.

Wait, so because the team doesn't want to rush him, that's HIS problem? Lol, you're grasping at so many straws here to some how legitimatize Bennett as some solid NHL player (barely) that can produce (can't) and want to write off a kid that has all of 9 games of NHL experience.

Haydn Fleury just made his NHL debut this season, omg...bust right? Same for Sanheim right? psh..7 games? So the Coyotes should play Strome in the NHL in the bottom 6 to learn what? Play 2-way hockey? Imagine if you will, a league that is a developmental league, let's call it the AHL, where he can not only play in the top 6, 1st unit powerplay, 1st unit PK...but he'd be able to tinker and hone his game at that level in those situations he would never be put in at the NHL level unless he was NHL ready, which he isn't, yet.

Here's the funny thing about age. He's 21, like Fleury, Sanheim and Strome.

The difference? Neither were rushed to the NHL and had their development stunted, instead they are being eased into the NHL, why? Because they're freaking 21. Not all 18yr old players are NHL ready, just like Sam Bennett wasn't, but the Flames were desperate to play him to make some splash to their fans and their inter province rivals. A horrendous move.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Wait, so because the team doesn't want to rush him, that's HIS problem? Lol, you're grasping at so many straws here to some how legitimatize Bennett as some solid NHL player (barely) that can produce (can't) and want to write off a kid that has all of 9 games of NHL experience.

Haydn Fleury just made his NHL debut this season, omg...bust right? Same for Sanheim right? psh..7 games? So the Coyotes should play Strome in the NHL in the bottom 6 to learn what? Play 2-way hockey? Imagine if you will, a league that is a developmental league, let's call it the AHL, where he can not only play in the top 6, 1st unit powerplay, 1st unit PK...but he'd be able to tinker and hone his game at that level in those situations he would never be put in at the NHL level unless he was NHL ready, which he isn't, yet.

Here's the funny thing about age. He's 21, like Fleury, Sanheim and Strome.

The difference? Neither were rushed to the NHL and had their development stunted, instead they are being eased into the NHL, why? Because they're freaking 21. Not all 18yr old players are NHL ready, just like Sam Bennett wasn't, but the Flames were desperate to play him to make some splash to their fans and their inter province rivals. A horrendous move.
Oh yeah, none of those guys are busts. I agree with you on that. And you're trying to make me sound stupid, but you can call Bennett a bust, while none of those guys are busts? Right, because they aren't, and neither is Bennett.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
As a Flames fan who has watched Bennett, I think he would be taylor made to be part of Tampa on Stamkos and Kucherov's wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad