Value of: Sam Bennett

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I don't want to trade Bennett because I think he'll end up being a pretty good player, especially not now when we couldn't get much for him. But if we were trading him I think Vegas could make sense.

He sure would for them. If I was McPhee and I thought I could snag him from Calgary I would be all over it. I've always liked Bennet and if I was Flames fan I would not want to trade him either, unless he was getting me that missing piece, whatever you guys might think that is.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Markus Granlund for Bennett

You know despite Granlund playing great and not being a player the Nucks would want to trade, he has just come from the Flames organisation and like... he has 2 points in 9 games, to Bennett's 0 points in 10 games. They're not much different and both are struggling in the offensive zone.

I don't think the Nucks have a player in the organisation that we could trade 1 for 1 for Bennett.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
For Bennett, I'd do any prospect in our system for him besides Liljegren straight up. Wouldn't add much to it, depending on said prospect. Just think as a reclamation project, Babcock could do wonders with him- would be no where as confident with other coaches. If this was Wilson, Carlysle, I'd want him no where near our team given how badly those coaches stunted Kadri...and even Grabovski.

Don't think that's really a "buy-low" price either but can understand Calgary wanting to protect their investment at the same time....ends my thoughts on Leafs-Bennett.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Have you watched a Flames game lately? Hell, have you watched a Marlies game lately?

Those comments are absolutely absurd. If you were to say that to some kind of NHL executive you'd be laughed out of the room.

Whats crazy is that this isn't even the worst post in the thread made by a leafs fan. I'm a little stunned but also embarrassed at the complete ignorance in this thread.

Have you? I don't get how saying one player is not very good is somehow saying the team or organization is bad. Leafs have the deepest offense in the NHL. They had to give away Leipsic in the expansion draft who already looks great and has 4 points in 8 games already, and there is STILL a huge logjam.

He doesn't crack the Leafs 100%, and I don't see how he beats out Kapanen either on the Marlies.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Flames won't trade bennet now if they are smart, best case you get for him is a late first plus a decent prospect. given his last 100 or so games.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Trading Bennett would make sense only if the Flames were in a great position at the deadline to have a long run in the playoffs and they could add the missing piece as was mentioned above. I will never forget when Dallas gave up Iginla for Neuwendyke and gave up a hall of famer but the won the cup so it could be to the Flames advantage to do similar because it could really pay off.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
He doesn't have much trade value at all. Funny, not long ago, there was a thread saying Bennett for Matt Murray ... this was during the Pens 1st Cup of the back to back. Calgary fans laughed. My has his value dropped.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Flames won't trade bennet now if they are smart, best case you get for him is a late first plus a decent prospect. given his last 100 or so games.

This type of logic assumes he's going to rebound as a player/prospect rather than continuing to under perform. It was the argument a lot of Oiler fans used against trading Yakupov for years. Kept banking on him eventually figuring it out. That ultimately ended with them trading him for a 3rd rounder.

Young players value doesn't always go up...

Reactions: Dan Kelly

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
This type of logic assumes he's going to rebound as a player/prospect rather than continuing to under perform. It was the argument a lot of Oiler fans used against trading Yakupov for years. Kept banking on him eventually figuring it out. That ultimately ended with them trading him for a 3rd rounder.

Young players value doesn't always go up...

Thing is Bennett probably can't even return a 1st at this point. Probably like a 2nd + prospect. I'd rather roll the dice on him and potentially end up with nothing, than trade him for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dack

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Him and the center from Buffalo, they don't have the look of a potential star or top 3 guy. Sometimes highly rated young players taken high don't achieve that level. But both can be productive players as a complementary player.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Bennett was taken too high at #4 overall to be a bottom 2 line checker so if a guy like Jankowski comes up an does well then to me at least it makes Bennett expendable at the deadline for a player that could contribute to a cup winner. My opinion.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can't believe we wanted him as our 3C in Pittsburgh, the guy was hilariously overrated on this board and by flames fans.

Just do what you guys do with all of your high drafted trash, trade him to Vancouver for some other failed prospect and watch him do well there.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The talent is definitely there.

But man does he take some stupid stupid penalties.
He leads the entire flames roster in penalty minutes.
Tkachuk takes penalties but it goes along with his game of play, Bennett is just always a step behind.

I'b say another blue chip prospect who is trending well would be the best bet.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

You know what's funny, you guys traded for another high drafted guy that just sucked offensively, in Curtis Lazar. What did you pay to get him?

Although I think a 2nd would suffice, no need to swap throw ins like Jokipakka or Kostka. That kid needs out, but man, it doesn't look good if he can turn it around.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The talent is definitely there.

But man does he take some stupid stupid penalties.
He leads the entire flames roster in penalty minutes.
Tkachuk takes penalties but it goes along with his game of play, Bennett is just always a step behind.

I'b say another blue chip prospect who is trending well would be the best bet.

So a team should give up a blue chip prospect that is trending well for a pretty close to a bust player in Bennett?

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I can't believe we wanted him as our 3C in Pittsburgh, the guy was hilariously overrated on this board and by flames fans.

Just do what you guys do with all of your high drafted trash, trade him to Vancouver for some other failed prospect and watch him do well there.
Because they aren't on the 3rd line in Vancouver? And we got Andersson out of the Sven deal, I'll take that any day.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
You know what's funny, you guys traded for another high drafted guy that just sucked offensively, in Curtis Lazar. What did you pay to get him?

Although I think a 2nd would suffice, no need to swap throw ins like Jokipakka or Kostka. That kid needs out, but man, it doesn't look good if he can turn it around.
We payed a 2nd to get him. And I don't see what's so funny, Lazar can still turn it around. And trading Bennett while his value is this low would be stupid, the best we'd get would be like a 2nd and a meh prospect. For his potential alone it's not worth it, I'd much rather keep him and hope he turns it around.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Because they aren't on the 3rd line in Vancouver? And we got Andersson out of the Sven deal, I'll take that any day.

Curious, what do you guys think his value is right now, Sam Bennett's. He's 3yrs removed from his draft, his career high is 36pts and he's pointless in 10 games so far. He's also regressed horrendously offensively.

It has to be tough, the Flames literally could have had Draisaitl, Larkin, Nylander, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad