Value of: Sam Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I know Detroit is pretty high on Andreas Athanasiou, but they are in a rebuild mode. And can't really fit him under their cap right now.

How about Bennett, first rd and another prospect for for AA?

It would be a pretty good upgrade for Calgary.

One of the worst proposals made on here in a long time.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
One of the worst proposals made on here in a long time.

Your right less than 3 1/2 hrs is a long time. :sarcasm:

You do know that 95% of Flames like Bennett and do not want him gone, right? So not sure what you're trying to accomplish in this thread. The only thing we Flames fans might debate on is what his upside is. Bennett is a heckuva player with a lot to like. I wouldn't deal him for Puljujarvi because of all the intangibles he brings. The only players on the Oilers I would deal him for are McDavid and Leon, everyone else would be a hard pass.

:biglaugh: Thanks man

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Your right less than 3 1/2 hrs is a long time. :sarcasm:

:biglaugh: Thanks man

You're mistaking 'we like our player so much we would need an insane overpayment' for your proposal, which was 'have an older, similar/worse player for him, and you have to add a first and a prospect because in Detroit we are so devoid off young talent that we assume anyone under 30 we have is a star'

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ya I'd do Klefbom for sure.

Not Larsson or RNH though.

Bennett wouldn't get you in the room to sniff Klefbom. Larsson would be a no go too.

I wouldn't do rnh either cause at least he's a 50+ point player. Tough to see Bennett cracking 40

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
You're mistaking 'we like our player so much we would need an insane overpayment' for your proposal, which was 'have an older, similar/worse player for him, and you have to add a first and a prospect because in Detroit we are so devoid off young talent that we assume anyone under 30 we have is a star'

I don't see Bennett and AA similar at all. Idk why your assumption that I think Detroit has any lack of young talent. They do have a number of ballooned contracts they need to get off their books to make way for others.

I think AA is going to be a star in the NHL and he has the speed that only very few possess in the league. He might be the only one who can closely match up against against McDavid on pure speed alone, kinda important for those BofA games.

The overpayment is deliberate. Why?

Because Detroit isn't letting him go anywhere.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Feel free to publicly name this mythical 10 players. I'd love to see them. I gave examples of players I wouldn't move Bennett for, and yes that includes Puljujarvi who has not proven a thing.

Unless I missed it, I have yet to see a single Oilers poster in this thread make a proposal. So again, I question what your intentions are of posting in here.

Rotflmao.

I didn't think I needed to explain the nuances of, Lol, the mythical ten. Did you honestly write that being serious?

OK. For clarification. I am not talking mythical Sam Bennett potential. I am talking actual Sam Bennett current effectiveness. A guy who racked up 13 goals and 13 assists with a stellar minus 16 in 82 games, and as far as I am aware against relatively easy competition to go along with the excuse of poor linemates holding him back from greatness. He takes bad penalties. Is 46% on draws. Currently a bit too small and slow and inexperienced to be a consistent impact player at the NHL level.

I believe Bennett will be a good player down the road but that is not guaranteed, nor at this point would it make sense for any team to trade someone currently playing good for someone who isnt.

If I were looking to improve my team I would easily trade Bennet for: McDavid, Leon, Lucic, RNH, Maroon, Jessie, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Nurse, and of course Talbot.

Note I specifically said most teams. This is a hypothetical situation that does not include cap management or current roster weakness and strengths. HYPOTHETICAL.

Bennetts play last year in comparison to other Oilers arguments could be made that: Letestu, Kassian, Cagullia, Benning, Russel and even Strome would hold more value to a team than what Bennett currently brings to the table.

Even assuming Bennett will hit his stride within 5 years, even taking in his Age/Contact status I would still trade him for: McDavid, Leon, Lucic, RNH, Jessie, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Nurse, and of course Talbot.

It is unlikely that Bennett will significantly help a team more than the above "mythical ten".

I used the Oilers as my example because I know them well. I would guess there are ten players on most teams that another hypothetical team in posession of Bennett would trade for.

Even the Flames have ten players I would expect any other team would trade Sam Bennett straight up without a second thought.

Johnny, Mona, Backlund, Hamilton, Tkachuk, Frolik, Giordano, TJ, Harmonic, and Smith. Depending on contract status of course.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
It's the overpayment return that Detroit might look for in helping their rebuild. Is not a fair trade, but one that helps both sides out.

Since the Oilers are so close to the cup, why should Calgary go after AA when the Oilers could do it? I'm sure RNH, 1st rounder and a prospect would do it

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Rotflmao.

I didn't think I needed to explain the nuances of, Lol, the mythical ten. Did you honestly write that being serious?

OK. For clarification. I am not talking mythical Sam Bennett potential. I am talking actual Sam Bennett current effectiveness. A guy who racked up 13 goals and 13 assists with a stellar minus 16 in 82 games, and as far as I am aware against relatively easy competition to go along with the excuse of poor linemates holding him back from greatness. He takes bad penalties. Is 46% on draws. Currently a bit too small and slow and inexperienced to be a consistent impact player at the NHL level.

I believe Bennett will be a good player down the road but that is not guaranteed, nor at this point would it make sense for any team to trade someone currently playing good for someone who isnt.

If I were looking to improve my team I would easily trade Bennet for: McDavid, Leon, Lucic, RNH, Maroon, Jessie, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Nurse, and of course Talbot.

Note I specifically said most teams. This is a hypothetical situation that does not include cap management or current roster weakness and strengths. HYPOTHETICAL.

Bennetts play last year in comparison to other Oilers arguments could be made that: Letestu, Kassian, Cagullia, Benning, Russel and even Strome would hold more value to a team than what Bennett currently brings to the table.

Even assuming Bennett will hit his stride within 5 years, even taking in his Age/Contact status I would still trade him for: McDavid, Leon, Lucic, RNH, Jessie, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Nurse, and of course Talbot.

It is unlikely that Bennett will significantly help a team more than the above "mythical ten".

I used the Oilers as my example because I know them well. I would guess there are ten players on most teams that another hypothetical team in posession of Bennett would trade for.

Even the Flames have ten players I would expect any other team would trade Sam Bennett straight up without a second thought.

Johnny, Mona, Backlund, Hamilton, Tkachuk, Frolik, Giordano, TJ, Harmonic, and Smith. Depending on contract status of course.

It's amazing how long winded and defiant someone can be about a player and not drop a single indepth anaylsis about them.

Have you ever even watched him play for more than two minutes and highlights? Congrats on using nhl.com but seriously, is this just a Flames vs Oilers thing that you feel compelled to put your input in?

Hell, I couldn't tell you a single thing about the bottom six on Edmonton. I have no clue how good Pulju and Cagguala(spelling?) are. Even RNH is invisible whenever I watch him but I could never imagine ranting about them so strongly

Tell me something I don't know by watching 99% of Bennett's career, hell maybe I am to close to him and blinded but telling me his stats does nothing.

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Since the Oilers are so close to the cup, why should Calgary go after AA when the Oilers could do it? I'm sure RNH, 1st rounder and a prospect would do it

Oh, RNH and Bennett have equal value? Interesting opinion. I'm not trolling anyone here. Btw RNH has a 6mil cap hit, but of course you know that.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I know Detroit is pretty high on Andreas Athanasiou, but they are in a rebuild mode. And can't really fit him under their cap right now.

How about Bennett, first rd and another prospect for for AA?

It would be a pretty good upgrade for Calgary.

That's beyond atrocious for Calgary.

Bennett is probably the better player in the long run.

Thanks for the terrible offer.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Oh, RNH and Bennett have equal value? Interesting opinion. I'm not trolling anyone here. Btw RNH has a 6mil cap hit, but of course you know that.

I know I wouldn't trade Bennett for RNH and that terrible contract, so yeah I'd say their value is pretty close.
If you are the trolling in here, you certainly shouldn't be making proposals or valuations on this particular player since you obviously have no idea about what you speak

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
I know I wouldn't trade Bennett for RNH and that terrible contract, so yeah I'd say their value is pretty close.
If you are the trolling in here, you certainly shouldn't be making proposals or valuations on this particular player since you obviously have no idea about what you speak

Bennett = RNH??? now i've seen everything. :sarcasm:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
That's beyond atrocious for Calgary.

Bennett is probably the better player in the long run.

Thanks for the terrible offer.

Bennett was picked 4th OV purely on potential, and AA is trending better. He would be a great player in Calgary and would make more of a impact now than Bennett is.

These are make believe proposals of course, so the theory is only for trying to pry one of the fastest skaters away from a team that doesn't want to let him go. There's no one currently on the Flames that can keep up to McDavid, AA can.

A straight up trade isn't even close to getting Athanasiou. Something more would be needed.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Bennett was picked 4th OV purely on potential, and AA is trending better. He would be a great player in Calgary and would make more of a impact now than Bennett is.

These are make believe proposals of course, so the theory is only for trying to pry one of the fastest skaters away from a team that doesn't want to let him go. There's no one currently on the Flames that can keep up to McDavid, AA can.

A straight up trade isn't even close to getting Athanasiou. Something more would be needed.

Yeah... just stick to your team, alright?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's amazing how long winded and defiant someone can be about a player and not drop a single indepth anaylsis about them.

Have you ever even watched him play for more than two minutes and highlights? Congrats on using nhl.com but seriously, is this just a Flames vs Oilers thing that you feel compelled to put your input in?

Hell, I couldn't tell you a single thing about the bottom six on Edmonton. I have no clue how good Pulju and Cagguala(spelling?) are. Even RNH is invisible whenever I watch him but I could never imagine ranting about them so strongly

Tell me something I don't know by watching 99% of Bennett's career, hell maybe I am to close to him and blinded but telling me his stats does nothing.

I think I put it as simply as I can. Imagine you have Sam Bennett, cap space, and want to improve your team now/moving forward and have your pick of any player from Calgary. What players would you trade him for?

I watched at least (very conservative estimate) a dozen complete Calgary games last year and can say Bennett has not shown enough to bring back proven players or highly touted prospects. Yet.

He is in that dead zone in terms of value where he hasn't shown enough and the "potential star" shine has faded badly. Thus this post, jumping the gun to move him for scraps.

If you watched Bennett you have to know he just isnt there yet consistently. That has nothing to do with Edmonton versus Calgary thing. Although to be fair im sure its coloured it a bit.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Daniel Sprong for Sam Bennett? Pens need 3C

Sprong makes no sense, did you not see their moves? They're geared towards making a serious run at the cup.

I think if the Pens were seriously interested, we'd be looking at losing Sheary, which I know a lot of Pens fans don't want to see happen, I'm personally on the fence about losing him for a 3C or him being someone we really need.

Ideally, I think we'd be looking at Conor Sheary + a pick for Sam Bennett and maybe a pick. I don't know if it's worth it, what are his contract demands? Is Sheary for Bennett straight up not enough? Curious what real world valuations Bennett and Sheary would have in regards to this, people will cite stats about how Sheary can't produce away from Crosby, I myself am skeptical about it, but we've all seen on the Pens that he's a dangerous player anywhere, just more dangerous with Crosby, of whom he has an abundant amount of chemistry with. He plays LW/RW equally well, is just 25yrs old and likely primed for another 50+ season next year. As we've seen, yes it takes talent to play with Crosby, but Kunitz for the most part produced his normal numbers with Sid with and outlier year, Dupuis was just as good with anyone after he gained his confidence and Horny is a 50pt guy with or without Crosby. So it begs the question, if the Flames want scoring depth, is Sheary enough? Especially for Bennett, who does all the right things except produce offense on a consistent basis for where he was picked.

#waitingforthebuthejustproduceswithcrosbypeople

Last edited:

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Im actually pretty surprised we havent seen Connor Browns name tossed out here.

A Brian Burke pick, who always had high praise for Connor, and a right handed right winger who has put up points consistently at every level, inlcuding a 20 goal rookie campaign.

Leaf fans love him and his potential, which is as to why maybe we havent seen his name tossed out here, but a Brown+pick type of deal could make some sense for both teams.

Leafs can then turn around and deal Bozak elsewhere for picks back and let Babcock run Bennett at 3C while learning from someone like Kadri, while opening up a wing spot for Kapenen or Leivo in the Top 6.

Flames get a really nice young scoring winger who never seems to quit and never seems to stop producing and proving his doubters wrong.

I can see Flames fans possibly not liking this at first glance since Connor isnt a flashy name or high draft pick, but this kid is good and will be a Top 6 wing for years to come.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bennett wouldn't get you in the room to sniff Klefbom. Larsson would be a no go too.

I wouldn't do rnh either cause at least he's a 50+ point player. Tough to see Bennett cracking 40

RNH "was" a 50pt player, at this point, if he can't hit 50pts next year, having a 6m/yr player that produces like a 3C is probably not winning in any sense of the word. The guy had Eberle for most of the year and only managed to hit 43pts. He played a full 82 so you saw his ppg pace normalized after not getting 1st line minutes anymore.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Im actually pretty surprised we havent seen Connor Browns name tossed out here.

A Brian Burke pick, who always had high praise for Connor, and a right handed right winger who has put up points consistently at every level, inlcuding a 20 goal rookie campaign.

Leaf fans love him and his potential, which is as to why maybe we havent seen his name tossed out here, but a Brown+pick type of deal could make some sense for both teams.

Leafs can then turn around and deal Bozak elsewhere for picks back and let Babcock run Bennett at 3C while learning from someone like Kadri, while opening up a wing spot for Kapenen or Leivo in the Top 6.

Flames get a really nice young scoring winger who never seems to quit and never seems to stop producing and proving his doubters wrong.

I can see Flames fans possibly not liking this at first glance since Connor isnt a flashy name or high draft pick, but this kid is good and will be a Top 6 wing for years to come.

A lot of moving pieces there.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Or we're just tired of Edmonton fans pretending to know more than us about Bennett. "There's a reason why we passed on Bennett in the draft" crap. And good on you for nitpicking one post.

There is honestly no reason for us to trade Bennett. Trading him would mean selling low. I'm not saying that he is the greatest player and is untradeable, but he brings a lot to the Flames than just points, something VERY difficult for HFers to understand.

To be fair for those that followed the Draft there was a lot of over the top Flames/Toronto fans that went overboard ranting about his potential to be the best player in the draft class.

Im sure Bennett will be good eventually so some Oilers fans are perhaps relishing the turn about while they can.

Also, not many, other than the OP Flames fan, actually said Bennett should be traded. Thought most everyone can agree selling low don't make sense.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
A lot of moving pieces there.

How so?

Connor Brown and a pick for Bennett.

Leafs deal Bozak at the deadline should they get an offer they like, otherwise they keep him and run Bennett on the wing. Bozak can then walk as an FA.

Not overly complicated.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How so?

Connor Brown and a pick for Bennett.

Leafs deal Bozak at the deadline should they get an offer they like, otherwise they keep him and run Bennett on the wing. Bozak can then walk as an FA.

Not overly complicated.

Why wouldn't the Flames just counter and say "Stajan + Bennett for Bozak + Brown"

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Why wouldn't the Flames just counter and say "Stajan + Bennett for Bozak + Brown"

Now you are just debating for the simple fact of trying to debate.

Of course teams banter ideas like that back and forth but thats not what this thread was about.

Scale all that nonsense back and you get to my original point and that is a simple base of Connor Brown / Sam Bennett.

The more detailed points were in regards as to the "why".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia