Value of: Sam Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Oilers fan here.

Lot of Flames fans totally fell for the Toronto Media hype that Bennet was the next Gilmour. Bennet had a ton of red flags that his game would not translate well to the NHL.

Now that he has failed to meet a very unrealistic hype Flames fans want him gone.

Bennet isn't Yak. He won't bust. He does too many things well to not have a long if unspectacular NHL career. His size, speed, IQ, and shot will always hold him back from being a star but all those things are NHL quality or close enough.

If his skating can improve a bit I see him as a solid two way top 6 winger that could score 25/25 a year. It will probably take him awhile to reach that tho. That's is a very good NHL player in todays NHL. Nothing wrong with that at all.

A cost controlled home grown prospect that eventually should be a solid depth contributor and isn't a gapping hole in the line up until that happens... Like Yak was.

Although I suppose if he bought all his own hype the guy will most likely have unreasonable expectation. Much like Yak.

No reason he won't be a center, Jankowski will have to outplay him before that switch happens. Skating is good and his defense is already coming along nicely at center. That's what most people have him pegged as. 55 point two way center, 65 maybe if he's with Gaudreau and top PP. I would be thrilled if he turned into that. With how he plays the game that would be a top tier player.

I don't know if his shots weak or this year was bad luck. That remains to be seen and may be a problem. And his IQ is fine. It's youthful frustration that's his problem. His linemates refused to do anything for long stretches so you could see him getting desperate and just trying to do it all himself. He's not Gaudreau though so it wouldn't work. Some people will point to his penalties but they aren't dumb plays, they're careless plays. Highsticking and tripping mostly, again 20.

Has flashes of brilliance one game but then plays down to his linemates in others. Won't know what we have until he gets half a season with top 6 players. If he plays like the last 20 games I have zero worries about him. That was great hockey.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Oilers fan here.

Lot of Flames fans totally fell for the Toronto Media hype that Bennet was the next Gilmour. Bennet had a ton of red flags that his game would not translate well to the NHL.

Now that he has failed to meet a very unrealistic hype Flames fans want him gone.

Bennet isn't Yak. He won't bust. He does too many things well to not have a long if unspectacular NHL career. His size, speed, IQ, and shot will always hold him back from being a star but all those things are NHL quality or close enough.

If his skating can improve a bit I see him as a solid two way top 6 winger that could score 25/25 a year. It will probably take him awhile to reach that tho. That's is a very good NHL player in todays NHL. Nothing wrong with that at all.

A cost controlled home grown prospect that eventually should be a solid depth contributor and isn't a gapping hole in the line up until that happens... Like Yak was.

Although I suppose if he bought all his own hype the guy will most likely have unreasonable expectation. Much like Yak.

In today's game, a pest (which Bennett certainly can be) who puts up 25/25 - as you suggest - is one heck of a valuable player. That's a top six guy on a Cup competitive team.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I am surprised this has gone 11 pages. Unless it is a massive overpayment the Flames are not moving Bennett. His upside is still #1C with a physical edge.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I am surprised this has gone 11 pages. Unless it is a massive overpayment the Flames are not moving Bennett. His upside is still #1C with a physical edge.

I see Bennet as a really good # two centre, who makes it hard on the guy he's up against each night, while still putting up 50+ points himself. The Flames (who I really detest - my apologies Flames fans) would be crazy to trade him, unless for a really good return.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pulju absolutely has to show well in the NHL next year or year after or at same risk for same argument to be brought up

Noone is arguing he wasnt a fantastic junior player. He killed it and did deserve to be picked over those two. But I think you have blinders on if you dont remember the criticisms on draft day and comparisons to Brule back on draft day. Hes not destined to be the next Brule but I do see red flags emerging

I've never once seen the Brule comparisons for Bennett on draft day. The only talk was about his shoulder (that he got surgically repaired) and that he needed to bulk up to play his game at the NHL level.

Brule was 5'10 and played a powerforward game. Bennett is 6'1 and plays more of a feisty game than a powerforward game. I don't see the comparison since Bennett's game is more similar to a guy like Kadri's, and he's built the same way Kadri is.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Oilers fan here.

No, every sensible Flames fan wants to keep him, just a few idiots want him gone.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
i get the feeling some flames want bennett traded for someone more useful instead of having another player ending up like baertschi.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
i get the feeling some flames want bennett traded for someone more useful instead of having another player ending up like baertschi.

Nope.

Even if Bennett doesn't work out the way we want, he has intangibles that make him valuable as a bottom sixer, which Baertschi simply did not have. Worst case scenario is that we end up with a tweener style pest with Bennett. Bennett despite having a long way to go until he is developed physically, still won 3 fights last year, including one against Ryan Johansen, who outweighs him by 30 lbs.

Can we please end the Yakupov comparisons now? Baertschi was also not a Flames style player and Bennett is. Baertschi refused to learn a 2 way game and was soft. The exact opposite of Bennett.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

But those select Flames fans are stupid. This isn't insulting the people on HF, I am talking in general as I see the same stupid statements being made on other sites and in real life when I am out at bars in regards to Bennett.

Just like I see Flames fans think Engelland is a good d-man or some think Hamilton is terrible.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
Baertschi who is still somehow better than nail yakupov, the 1st overall pick who would anchor your first line wing opposite hall and centered by rnh...

Too bad yak isn't on the oilers anymore.. As for bennett his value is tanking the way flames have been using him. Flames would be lucky to even get a late 2nd.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Too bad yak isn't on the oilers anymore.. As for bennett his value is tanking the way flames have been using him. He would be lucky to even return a late 2nd.

You do know that 95% of Flames like Bennett and do not want him gone, right? So not sure what you're trying to accomplish in this thread. The only thing we Flames fans might debate on is what his upside is. Bennett is a heckuva player with a lot to like. I wouldn't deal him for Puljujarvi because of all the intangibles he brings. The only players on the Oilers I would deal him for are McDavid and Leon, everyone else would be a hard pass.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
I have always LOVED Bennett.

His upside reminds me of the Jonathan Toews / Mike Richards type of center. Physical edge, phenomenal competitor, 60-70 point producer, hard to play against, so valuable in the playoffs, a leader by example, plays the game the right way.

He is EXACTLY what the Senators need at center. I think he'd be phenomenal under Guy Boucher.

I would be willing to part with Mark Stone for something like Bennett + Gillies + 1st/2nd.

Stone fits CGY like a glove. Most OTT fans probably wouldn't move Stone, but I would. I'm a big believer in Bennett. Also like Gillies as a goalie in waiting for Anderson

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
You do know that 95% of Flames like Bennett and do not want him gone, right? So not sure what you're trying to accomplish in this thread. The only thing we Flames fans might debate on is what his upside is. Bennett is a heckuva player with a lot to like. I wouldn't deal him for Puljujarvi because of all the intangibles he brings. The only players on the Oilers I would deal him for are McDavid and Leon, everyone else would be a hard pass.

This thread was made by a flames fan. I am just commenting on bennett's value which is low.
As for puljujarvi im sure flames would take that trade and run anytime anyday.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
I have always LOVED Bennett.
I would be willing to part with Mark Stone for something like Bennett + Gillies + 1st/2nd.

This is a example of how low bennetts value is. since flames are going all in the next couple years they might as well trade bennett to fill in that #1 RW need before his value tanks even lower.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg

That's ridiculous. You forgot Talbot (to leave the Oilers with 0 goalies). :)

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
This is a example of how low bennetts value is. since flames are going all in the next couple years they might as well trade bennett to fill in that #1 RW need before his value tanks even lower.

Just stop. The dude praised Bennett, and the deal was fairly good considering Stone is a #1RW and Bennett is still an unknown (especially if its a second and not a first). It really seems like you're just here to trash Bennett because he is a Flame and not an Oiler.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Wow. Both extremes.

Some interested in moving him some still believing the hype.

Im not one of those that prefers prospects over players but im pretty sure most would trade Bennett for Jessie.

Its not like JP is looking awesome or Bennett might not still end up exceeding current lowered expectations but... Jessie "should" succeed for all the reasons Bennett so far has not.

Bigger, faster, and better shot. JP has well above average nhl tools at 18 years of age. It may take him longer to reach his potential as well for different reasons but I would be surprised if JP over his career wasn't the better player.

Both were considered consensus #3/4 in thier drafts and both are not sure fire stars. But I prefer JPs toolset to Bennetts grit.

There is at least a ten players on the Oilers that most people would trade Bennett for no questions asked.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
Just stop. The dude praised Bennett, and the deal was fairly good considering Stone is a #1RW and Bennett is still an unknown (especially if its a second and not a first). It really seems like you're just here to trash Bennett because he is a Flame and not an Oiler.

Stop what? I'm on topic and commenting about bennett's value :shakehead.
I'm sure oilers aren't crying over bennett being a flame than an oiler.:naughty:

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Wow. Both extremes.

Im not one of those that prefers prospects over players but im pretty sure most would trade Bennett for Jessie.

Its not like JP is looking awesome or Bennett might not still end up exceeding current lowered expectations but... Jessie "should" succeed for all the reasons Bennett so far has not.

Bigger, faster, and better shot. JP has well above average nhl tools at 18 years of age. It may take him longer to reach his potential as well for different reasons but I would be surprised if JP over his career wasn't the better player.

Both were considered consensus #3/4 in thier drafts and both are not sure fire stars. But I prefer JPs toolset to Bennetts grit.

There is at least a ten players on the Oilers that most people would trade Bennett for no questions asked.

I can think of 5 (including Puljujarvi) so your other 5 must be D. Yet only the top 2 of those are as good as the Flames top 5D.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Wow. Both extremes.

10!?!

I'm intrigued because I count 3 easily and struggle to get past 6

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
This thread was made by a flames fan. I am just commenting on bennett's value which is low.
As for puljujarvi im sure flames would take that trade and run anytime anyday.

Trading for Simmonds or Stone aren't low value trades.

They are quality players that fit a need on Calgary better than Bennett does.

And Pulju had a worse rookie season than Bennett did. Why don't you wait until he make's the NHL full time haha

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Definitely not 10. FerenceWillSaveUsAll got it pretty damn close with 6.

Mcdavid,Drai,Talbot,Pulju,RNH,Larsson,Klefbom.. Im pretty sure if flames were offered any of those for bennett they would take that and run.

Yes to any of them, except RNH. RNH is the better player right now, but I think Bennett could develop into a very similar player, and he'd be cheaper as well. Calgary cannot spend 6 million on what would be their #3 center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad