Value of: Sam Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A roomba on the same line as McDavid could put up more points than Maroon :laugh:

That's doing a disservice to Maroon. He definitely benefitted from playing with McDavid but he still had to get in the right spots and finish his chances.

Maroon's 27 goals would have tied for the lead on the Flames. Highly unlikely he does it again, but he's hardly a roomba :laugh:

Chemistry with superstar players isn't always easy and having it is valuable. Ask Chris Kunitz, he made a career of it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's doing a disservice to Maroon. He definitely benefitted from playing with McDavid but he still had to get in the right spots and finish his chances.

Maroon's 27 goals would have tied for the lead on the Flames. Highly unlikely he does it again, but he's hardly a roomba :laugh:

Chemistry with superstar players isn't always easy and having it is valuable. Ask Chris Kunitz, he made a career of it.

Also a player has to be good enough and add enough to the line to be given a chance to play top line minutes.

Bennett has never played at a level consistent enough to be given too 6 ice time. Instead he has consistently struggled to be effective while playing sheltered minutes. Due to his lack of any significant standout strength in his game I don't see his game getting much better. Might come close to 50 points a couple of times in his best years.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Sam Bennett will be a better player than RNH this season

that's why Montreal should offer sheet Bennett 5.9M
Calgary will set Bennett free for the 1st 2nd and 3rd round pick compensation.
Bennett will be a bargain halfway through a 7 year contract.

Flames tried to bury him on the 3rd line to keep his stats low for this summer's contract negotiation. If I were Sam I'd tell them to bugger off.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
A roomba on the same line as McDavid could put up more points than Maroon :laugh:

This is BS. Everyone thinks that McDavid will have instant chemistry with anyone he plays with. Thats just not true.

He didn't have any chemistry with Hall, Eberle and Lucic. Players who all scored decent amounts before they played together.

He did have chemistry with Maroon from day 1.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
RNH had 6 more 5v5 points and had a worse CFrel despite his most common linemates being Eberle and Lucic(Bennett's were a mix of Versteeg Chiasson and Brouwer). For me I'd be looking for straight up value if I were trading Bennett and with his 6 million dollar cap hit I don't think RNH has much or at least he shouldn't. I would trade him for those other 9 skaters though assuming I could still flip Larsson because his value is astronomically high.

Lucic is on a contract for 6X6 and produced worse than Bennett at even strength even though he spent half his season on Mcdavids Wing. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a bounce back year but right now I'm not taking that contract for free unless there is like a team opt out option if he's starts underperforming.

To each their own but if some people can rationalize Bennets "intangibles" being a big part of his value but yet can't see Lucic's... That's pretty thin. I would be shocked if there was a GM in the league that wouldn't trade Bennet for Lucic right now. Assuming they have cap space and are in need of a force of nature who still managed 50 points on an off year.

RNH is clearly far superior to Bennet at the moment but does have a bad contract and few "intangibles" so I would assume a few GMs would stay away from that deal. Not me tho. I think the chances of Nuge hitting 50+ points consistently while playing as a solid center moving forward are better than Bennets hitting 50 as a center period. I watched a ton of Bennets highlights in junior + his current play and think his style is far more suited on the wing.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Jonathan Drouin had 42 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Ryan Kesler had 39 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Alex Galchenyuk had 58 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Elias Lindholm had 60 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Ryan Johansen had 33 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Sam Bennett had 63 points after his first two NHL seasons.

I am sure the list goes on and on..

And yes... I know Bennett had the more games played under his belt than most of these guys but unlike Drouin and Galchenyuk both Johansen and Bennett had the added responsibility and task of learning the center ice position in there second seasons and as a result there offensive totals took a dip. I don't think people understand just how difficult it is for 18/19/20 year old players to play center in the NHL. To put it into perspective Bennett and Dvorak are the only two players from the 2014 draft to play center full time to this point. Nobody has seemed to sour on Dvorak despite having only 33 points to this point have they?

Bennett will be fine. His play down the stretch and into the playoffs was a sign of things to come.

He is not being moved at this point in time, period. But thanks for all of the knowledgeable advice being shared..

Last edited:

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
Wait, What?

Ridiculous.

It sounds like you didnt actually watch the games.

Both teams had a few bad calls go Anaheims way but Edmonton was a much better playoff team than Calgary.

Not even close.

So tell me then. Whats your excuse for being swept by Edmonton during the season?

Bad bounces or bad calls?

Either way excuses, excuses.

Its obvious to anyone that Edmonton had a better year and is a better team.

they blame elliot as they always blame their goalies haha. :popcorn:

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Jonathan Drouin had 42 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Ryan Kesler had 39 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Alex Galchenyuk had 58 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Elias Lindholm had 60 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Ryan Johansen had 33 points after his first two NHL seasons.
Sam Bennett had 63 points after his first two NHL seasons.

I am sure the list goes on and on..

And yes... I know Bennett had the more games played under his belt than most of these guys but unlike Drouin and Galchenyuk both Johansen and Bennett had the added responsibility and task of learning the center ice position in there second seasons and as a result there offensive totals took a dip. I don't think people understand just how difficult it is for 18/19/20 year old players to play center in the NHL. To put it into perspective Bennett and Dvorak are the only two players from the 2014 draft to play center full time to this point. Nobody has seemed to sour on Dvorak despite having only 33 points to this point have they?

Bennett will be fine. His play down the stretch and into the playoffs was a sign of things to come.

He is not being moved at this point in time, period. But thanks for all of the knowledgeable advice being shared..

Bennett will be a good player for many years no question about it.

I hate when people trash kids who are only 20 just because they didn't light the league on fire.

I see a consistent 55+ point player who will be hard as nails to play against.

Someday him a Tkachuk will be part of an excellent 2nd line who can agitate the hell out of opponents and score big goals.

With that being said though, until he actually does put up some points his trade value won't be anywhere near where most flames fans want it to be and therefor won't be traded. He has way too much upside to be traded for lesser parts and he hasnt proved enough to be traded for a big fish that the Flames would no doubtably want for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad