Value of: Sam Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How is this hard for people to understand?

Sam Bennett is not available.

If someone wants Sam Bennett, they will have to pay what the Flames think he could be.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Simmonds for Bennett and a 1st.

Calgary gets the best player for the next 2 years with the opportunity to re-sign him.
Philly hopefully gets the better long term.

Why would Philly want anything to do with this?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why would Philly want anything to do with this?

They are building for the future. And that future won't be in the next 2 years when Simminds is still on his great contract. So then the decision is about signing Simminds for 6-6.5 million for his 31-36 year old seasons.

Then add in that the Flyers have Voracek and Konecny at RW. So Simmonds would be our 3rd line RW. No need to pay that much for someone who won't be in the top 6.

Bennett could stay at LW in Philly where the depth is Lindblom, Weal and Filppula for this season. It would also give the Flyers 3 1st rounders for 2018 where they could add 2 more forwards and a Dman. That would finish off the rebuild nicely.

Trading Simmonds to a contender makes sense for Philly if the return is right. Short term pain for long term gain.

Last edited:

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
They are building for the future. And that future won't be in the next 2 years when Simminds is still on his great contract. So then the decision is about signing Simminds for 6-6.5 million for his 31-36 year old seasons.

Then add in that the Flyers have Voracek and Konecny at RW. So Simmonds would be our 3rd line RW. No need to pay that much for someone who won't be in the top 6.

Bennett could stay at LW in Philly where the depth is Lindblom, Weal and Filppula for this season. It would also give the Flyers 3 1st rounders for 2018 where they could add 2 more forwards and a Dman. That would finish off the rebuild nicely.

Trading Simminds to a contender makes sense for Philly if the return is right. Short term pain for long term gain.

I find it hard to believe that there will be a scenario where Simmonds is the "odd man out" on the flyers. Konecny is obviously not better at this point, and handing him a top 6 spot on a silver platter wouldn't be a wise thing to do imo. Even if he ever was traded, the return wouldn't be for a player who has yet to put up 36 points in a full NHL season. Bennett has a lot to prove if he's going to be netting the flames one of the best power forwards in the league. I agree with the bolded but I feel like there could absolutely be a better return than Sam Bennett. Also, why not just put Voracek on LW to avoid the logjam on the right side?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Because their teams were smart enough not to rush them into the league?

WTF are you talking about? Pulju was in the league and was doing much worse.

But you missed the whole point of that quote. The point is Bennett didnt have multiple bad seasons. His first season is as good as you can expected from an 18-19 yrs old

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Would Flames fans have interest in Palmieri? He's a legit top line RW who plays a power forward type of game (despite his size) with a ridiculous shot.

His value is probably a decent amount higher than Bennett's - maybe something like:

:devils
Bennett + Kylington

:flames
Palmieri + 4th

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I find it hard to believe that there will be a scenario where Simmonds is the "odd man out" on the flyers. Konecny is obviously not better at this point, and handing him a top 6 spot on a silver platter wouldn't be a wise thing to do imo. Even if he ever was traded, the return wouldn't be for a player who has yet to put up 36 points in a full NHL season. Bennett has a lot to prove if he's going to be netting the flames one of the best power forwards in the league. I agree with the bolded but I feel like there could absolutely be a better return than Sam Bennett. Also, why not just put Voracek on LW to avoid the logjam on the right side?

Well ya better believe it! We all love simmonds, but most of us agree with the reasons Tripod listed. Unfortunately, he just does not fit in our long term plans. Sam Bennett is exactly the type of player they would be targeting, someone who has the potential to break out and is young and cost controlled. LW, preferably a "sniper" would be the best fit for us right now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

It's not handing anybody anything.

Konecny out scored Simmonds as well as Schenn and Giroux 5vs 5 last year. But as you know, all those other guys get #1 PP time while Konecny was on the 2nd unit that sucks.

Philly can finally run with 3 lines that can score now that they have 3 good centres. So whoever will play in the top 9, gets a good C to play with.

The entire issue with Simmonds is that Philly is not ready to contend for a cup the next 2 years....and that is when Simmonds contract runs out. And with Giroux and Voracek signed for 5 more years right now, they don't need to sign Simmonds for his 31-36 year old seasons when that money can be used on the upcoming core that will need to be paid. In 2 years, a guy like Allison can be a 3rd liner.

If Simmonds had 4 years on his deal right now, this discussion would not even be happening. And trading him to a contender for a fair price could be a win/win for both team....they win short term, Philly hopefully wins long term.

Anyways, this is a Bennett thread. He is the type of player the Flyers will target. Someone who has shown glimpses of breaking out, but has not done so. And for the Flames, they would need to decide if going for it the next 2 years is worth it. With the acquisitions of Smith and Hamonic, it certainly looks like they are looking at taking the next step toward a cup.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Would Flames fans have interest in Palmieri? He's a legit top line RW who plays a power forward type of game (despite his size) with a ridiculous shot.

His value is probably a decent amount higher than Bennett's - maybe something like:

:devils
Bennett + Kylington

:flames
Palmieri + 4th

We need actual size, not just fiestyness.

Also that's way too much to give up from the Flames. Kylington is a higher end prospect.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I think I put it as simply as I can. Imagine you have Sam Bennett, cap space, and want to improve your team now/moving forward and have your pick of any player from Calgary. What players would you trade him for?

I watched at least (very conservative estimate) a dozen complete Calgary games last year and can say Bennett has not shown enough to bring back proven players or highly touted prospects. Yet.

He is in that dead zone in terms of value where he hasn't shown enough and the "potential star" shine has faded badly. Thus this post, jumping the gun to move him for scraps.

If you watched Bennett you have to know he just isnt there yet consistently. That has nothing to do with Edmonton versus Calgary thing. Although to be fair im sure its coloured it a bit.

Of course he's not there consistently. He's never been put in a position to thrive. This thread wouldn't exist if they'd have played him as a top 6 winger like most teams would have done. Do you actually think he would have produced the same if he was in Tkachuk's spot? Their analytics on Backlund's wing are near identical (besides Tkachuk's CF% are just god-like, still not sure exactly why, outlet pass probably. I swear he wins every board battle). Sure it's frustrating to watch at times but it make's no sense to judge him out of context.

People said the same thing about Backlund, Ferland, Brodie, and Giordano. He can skate, he can play defense, and he can pass as a top 6 player already. Once they find him a partner that fits his style he's going to explode (Gaudreau or Tkachuk are obvious choices)

So ya McDavid, Leon, and Klefbom. That's about it for me. Anyone less is not worth the risk. It would be another player the Flames gave up to early on and look like idiots.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Rotflmao.

I didn't think I needed to explain the nuances of, Lol, the mythical ten. Did you honestly write that being serious?

OK. For clarification. I am not talking mythical Sam Bennett potential. I am talking actual Sam Bennett current effectiveness. A guy who racked up 13 goals and 13 assists with a stellar minus 16 in 82 games, and as far as I am aware against relatively easy competition to go along with the excuse of poor linemates holding him back from greatness. He takes bad penalties. Is 46% on draws. Currently a bit too small and slow and inexperienced to be a consistent impact player at the NHL level.

I believe Bennett will be a good player down the road but that is not guaranteed, nor at this point would it make sense for any team to trade someone currently playing good for someone who isnt.

If I were looking to improve my team I would easily trade Bennet for: McDavid, Leon, Lucic, RNH, Maroon, Jessie, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Nurse, and of course Talbot.

Note I specifically said most teams. This is a hypothetical situation that does not include cap management or current roster weakness and strengths. HYPOTHETICAL.

Bennetts play last year in comparison to other Oilers arguments could be made that: Letestu, Kassian, Cagullia, Benning, Russel and even Strome would hold more value to a team than what Bennett currently brings to the table.

Even assuming Bennett will hit his stride within 5 years, even taking in his Age/Contact status I would still trade him for: McDavid, Leon, Lucic, RNH, Jessie, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Nurse, and of course Talbot.

It is unlikely that Bennett will significantly help a team more than the above "mythical ten".

I used the Oilers as my example because I know them well. I would guess there are ten players on most teams that another hypothetical team in posession of Bennett would trade for.

Even the Flames have ten players I would expect any other team would trade Sam Bennett straight up without a second thought.

Johnny, Mona, Backlund, Hamilton, Tkachuk, Frolik, Giordano, TJ, Harmonic, and Smith. Depending on contract status of course.

It is crazy how much you're reaching with this post. I mean, potential is a real thing. Why did Tampa move Drouin for Sergachev, it was 100% for his potential. Everything about your post was based on point production from last season, it covered nothing about playing style or potential. And come on, did you really just say Letestu, Kassian, Cagullia, Benning, Russell are worth more than Bennett? Lucic and Maroon are also nowhere worth what Bennett is. It is pretty clear you are either looking solely at a stat sheet or else you have some other agenda.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Single offensively poor season?

Just another example of how embarrassing Mainboards are. Guy has a bad season and he's a bust... Rememver when Crosby was washed up because he wasn't great over a calendar year... then he won two Stanley's cups and a World Cup.

Bennett is going to make all these Oiler fans look dumb. Not that they aren't used to it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Single offensively poor season?
Yes it means one, perhaps you should invest in a dictionary

Unless you are trying to claim an 18 goal/36 point rookie season is poor, if that is the case, then it is clear your only intention here is to troll.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It is crazy how much you're reaching with this post. I mean, potential is a real thing. Why did Tampa move Drouin for Sergachev, it was 100% for his potential. Everything about your post was based on point production from last season, it covered nothing about playing style or potential. And come on, did you really just say Letestu, Kassian, Cagullia, Benning, Russell are worth more than Bennett? Lucic and Maroon are also nowhere worth what Bennett is. It is pretty clear you are either looking solely at a stat sheet or else you have some other agenda.

What I am saying, as well as everyone else for the most part including Calgary fans, is Bennets potential right now has taken a massive hit. I believe he will do well but I would not put much, if any, trade value on his potential currently. Too risky. This whole thread proves that in spades IMO. Bennet aint Drouin or Sergachev. Not even close. Sergachev has more value because he hasn't played two disappointing seasons yet.

I didn't say Letestu, Kassian, Cagullia, Benning, Russell are worth more than Bennett. I said in terms of production those guys are comparibles. Maybe I could have been more clear but I feel a few Flames fans are desperate to misinterpret what I am saying because its painfully true. By the end of next year if Benning takes the next step and Bennet doesn't, he will absolutely be worth more.

I'm sorry but are you honestly saying Lucic is not worth what Bennet is worth? LOL.

Maroon in effectiveness is what Bennet will hopefully end up eventually being. And if signed reasonable for even three more years would garner more of a return than Bennet currently by a mile. While I am certain most of his success is from the McDavid factor his underlying numbers and 27 goals are solid enough to put him clearly above Bennet for the next couple years.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
RNH "was" a 50pt player, at this point, if he can't hit 50pts next year, having a 6m/yr player that produces like a 3C is probably not winning in any sense of the word. The guy had Eberle for most of the year and only managed to hit 43pts. He played a full 82 so you saw his ppg pace normalized after not getting 1st line minutes anymore.

RNH had 6 more 5v5 points and had a worse CFrel despite his most common linemates being Eberle and Lucic(Bennett's were a mix of Versteeg Chiasson and Brouwer). For me I'd be looking for straight up value if I were trading Bennett and with his 6 million dollar cap hit I don't think RNH has much or at least he shouldn't. I would trade him for those other 9 skaters though assuming I could still flip Larsson because his value is astronomically high.

Lucic is on a contract for 6X6 and produced worse than Bennett at even strength even though he spent half his season on Mcdavids Wing. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a bounce back year but right now I'm not taking that contract for free unless there is like a team opt out option if he's starts underperforming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad